Korea - (Seoul) holiday

Soldato
I'm going to Seoul in November for a week on holiday (couldn't resist stupidly cheap flight :p ). Never been there before, still have a fair bit of time to plan, but just wanted to check here if anyone can recommend any must see / do things, what area to stay in (prefer to get hotel booked early, in case prices go up!) and is a week in Seoul itself too long, should I be looking to travel somewhere from there for a few days?

Thanks !

Associate
north-korea-is-best-korea.jpg

Remeber it.

Associate
Lotteria <eat it
Cold stone <eat it
Korean BBQ <eat it. Don't be afraid!!! CRAZY delicious.
Dunno what hotel or what you're staying in, but we stayed in an AMAZING guesthouse. owner was called "Danny" see if you can find it.

EDIT: Found the hostel Click here

Definitely book here.

Read the blog

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks, guesthouse seems like a better idea to meet other travellers also rather than staying in a hotel! Sounds cheap too :)

I love food so that's good, I did hear the food was supposed to be great. I've had Korean BBQ before actually in Hong Kong a few times , hmmm ox tounge :D

Soldato
Thanks, guesthouse seems like a better idea to meet other travellers also rather than staying in a hotel! Sounds cheap too :)

I love food so that's good, I did hear the food was supposed to be great. I've had Korean BBQ before actually in Hong Kong a few times , hmmm ox tounge :D
Guesthouses are great - I spent most of my time there (second trip, 3 weeks) speaking French (I speak bad French).

Soldato
I've been in Seoul for the last 6 months and as i said in someones "far east holiday" thread i really dont see Seoul as a tourist city.

Ok theres palaces to see, Namsan (Seoul) tower, Insadong, COEX, Myeongdong,Namdaemun,Yongsan electroinics market and even Itaewon and the (in)famous Hooker Hill but if i was getting on a plane for 12hrs for anything other than work I wouldnt pick Seoul.

Dont get me wrong I love working here and I'd stay forever if I could its just not a "Holiday town" but i guess it depends on your viewpoint.

I'm ment to be heading down to Busan this weekend with the girlfreind she insists on getting me out of Seoul this weekend and frankly it sounds good to me.

Soldato
That image just got me some very strange looks from the South Korean guy sat beheind me.
He's an Ex Marine who runs up mountains for fun as well so i've just had to try and explain its a joke to him before he kicks my ass.

Soldato
Lotteria <eat it
Cold stone <eat it
Korean BBQ <eat it. Don't be afraid!!! CRAZY delicious.

Lotteria is Korean version of mcdonalds why whould you fly to korea to eat a burger?

Cold Stone is american, you can go to baskin and ronins, dunkin doughnuts or star bucks as well but why would you?

Korean BBQ = YES! Samgyeopsal is great (pork like thick bacon) Bulgogi is great (bbq beef) some of the side dishs (Banchan) are rank, i personally HATE most types of kimchi (fermented veg most often cabbage in chill paste but there is allot of types) but some of the side dishes are really nice. Rice (bap) is not normally served unless you ask for it.

Bibimbap is not too bad if you get the right one (lots of types) but like allot of korean food if its loaded with Gochujang (red pepper paste) then I dont like it.

Allot of Sushi places in Seoul as well, but be prepared for some food that still moves, live octopus was abit of a culture shock and i really couldnt get my head round it (ate it once to be polite and wont be doing it again).

Koreans do eat dog (be ready for allot of jokes from freinds at home about this) but its not comman these days and you would really have to go looking for it in Seoul. I was asked if id like to try it once be declined politely.

Get used to Soju (korean rice wine/vodka) its around 20-30%ABV and gives you the worst hangover in the world.
The other korean specific drink is Makgeolli a rice beer as such (cloudy and not to my taste) but you can also get local beer thats very like larger (Cass Hite or OB being the 3 brands usually only 1 is avalible on draft in each bar)
You often get food with drink in Korea most of ok things like nuts and snacks. but you also get dried fish and squid (actually quiet nice but if someone offers you Jokbal SAY NO!, its pigs feet in salted fermented shrimp sauce and even the smell of it makes me want to chuck.

Rules at the table (drinking and eating) can be complicated mainly they resolve around respect for your elders (a big thing in korea in general) and not pouring yourself a drink. I would suggest you read up on whats considered rude and even if your good with chopsticks korean ones are a little tricky because they are small and metal (I discribed them to a freind as like eating with 2 bits of coat hanger wire) but you do get a spoon and they will most often find it very funny to bring you a fork assuming you cant use chopsticks.

Can you tell im having a quiet morning? anyway off to lunch lets see what i get in works canten today.

Soldato
OP
House - Thank you for that info, I'm not fussy about food so I don't mind trying pretty much everything :D Do most people speak some English, or is it a little difficult get by speaking only English?

cheets, flying from Kuala Lumpur (around 6 hour flight) not UK! Managed to pick up a return flight for £55 :cool:

Associate
to the OP - did you buy cheap tickets going at the moment with Air Asia? I saw really cheap flights with them from KL to all over Asia.

Also, Does anyone know how much it is to do the whole panmunjom tour of the DMZ? I'd be curious in doing that if I went to Korea

Soldato
OP
Long way to go for a week.

to the OP - did you buy cheap tickets going at the moment with Air Asia? I saw really cheap flights with them from KL to all over Asia.

Also, Does anyone know how much it is to do the whole panmunjom tour of the DMZ? I'd be curious in doing that if I went to Korea

Yep, they just released the tickets to Seoul for sale yesterday :) so got in there early :D They have some good deals if you book during the Promo times.

Soldato
In Seoul you can get by without any Korean but once your outside Seoul its not easy.

Like most of Asia younger people all speak some english older people less so. I've never really had too much of a problem in stores/resturaunts etc. market stalls can be interesting.

DMZ tour wasnt too expensive about 100k Won i think including the bus and guided tours, I thought about going but somebody else told me its not that good so I havent bothered. I will try and get it done before i leave though.

Back
Top Bottom