SSD likely to help FSX?

Soldato
As title suggests really.. I have FSX running pretty sweet running locked at 30fps but texture loading still seems quite slow. Was wondering would an SSD give much better performance and cut out microstutters and shimmering from texture loading?

Running an i5@4GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI 5850 on Win 7 x64.

Soldato
I would say so mate as some of the textures are fairly large files but you would need a big SSD to handle the whole FSX install along with any add-ons you may have too. Assuming your going to have Windows 7 on the SSD also.

Soldato
OP
At the moment my Windows install + video editing stuff + 4GB of video + games + FSX is about 87GB! Looks like I will need to be saving for something like 120GB version.

Associate
Got FSX, albeit with no add ons, just bare FSX deluxe on my ssd and can confirm it is faster that when it was on my F3. Much less if any stutering, and have been able to turn options up higher.

I have OS+general apps+office+FSX on my 64 GB SSD, all other games, backups etc on my 1TB F3 and 250G WD. OP, can you not do something similar?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I probably could you know. All I play is Dirt2, BFBC2 and FSX. FSX being the most important to me.

I guess I could install all my other apps onto a secondary drive. I do some video editing but I guess I could just use another drive for capture and a third for rendering. Maybe worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom