HTC Hero, coming July on Orange and T-Mobile, makes me want!

Associate
its quiet in here
tumbleweed.gif

FroydVillain is still working well for me but i miss flashing :( is there anything else i can try, any developments in the world of hero im open

Soldato
im running froyo and used google navigation for the 1st time yesterday it is quite cool even shows you a street view pic of the house when you arrive at your destination :D

Yeah I love that feature, its really handy if you dont actually know where your going. Only problem I can see if the the GPS tracking seems to be a bit behind, so the voice guidance becomes useless as she tells me to turn left as im turning left (bloody women :p ). Is it poossible to make the voice commands come a bit earlier to compensate for the GPS being that little bit behind.

Also, while Im here, would there be any particular reason why my Hero will work on any type of connection bar a 3G one? It works on GPRS, Edge and HSDPA perfectly, but every time its connected to a 3G network it will not make/recieve calls or texts and it wont load web pages either. Orange have gave me a fault code to give to HTC to get them to repair it so I guess my next question is how good are HTCs returns? I dont really wanna be out of a phone for 4 weeks as its slightly inconvenient lol. Im on teh latest Orange official ROM, but Ive had this problem for about 3 months now so its been there over 3 different ROMs so im inclined to doubt its software related.

Associate
...so I guess my next question is how good are HTCs returns? I dont really wanna be out of a phone for 4 weeks as its slightly inconvenient lol...

A friend of mine took his to t-mobile for warranty repair, they said they'd be 7-10 days so best to contact HTC direct. He had it all sorted in about 3 days or so.

Soldato
its quiet in here
tumbleweed.gif

FroydVillain is still working well for me but i miss flashing :( is there anything else i can try, any developments in the world of hero im open

If you're that bored how about a little write up as to the benefits / bugs of FroydVillain over the official 2.1 version.

How much app memory and resources does 2.2 use ? etc

Many thanks in advance

Soldato
paid for my first android app today, i'm committed to Andriod forever! Its £2 i'll never get back! Thats LauncherPro taken care of, really like appbrain too, I can browse apps at work on a nice big screen and then just sync up to download them all!

still waiting on the final 2.1 update though.

Soldato
Just been looking at FroydVillain and tbh I don't know what you guys are raving about ?

Yes you've got jit but here's a list of stuff that doesn't work ...

Camera Previews only (default camera app)
works with camera magic (available in market)
Video camera
LiveWallpapers
Flash 10.1 nor Flash-lite
Flash-lite requires SenseUI which is not included in this ROM

src : http://www.villainrom.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=FroydVillain

Other than jit, what are the benefits of FroydVillain other than for bragging rights ?

Soldato
Also, while Im here, would there be any particular reason why my Hero will work on any type of connection bar a 3G one? It works on GPRS, Edge and HSDPA perfectly, but every time its connected to a 3G network it will not make/recieve calls or texts and it wont load web pages either. Orange have gave me a fault code to give to HTC to get them to repair it so I guess my next question is how good are HTCs returns? I dont really wanna be out of a phone for 4 weeks as its slightly inconvenient lol. Im on teh latest Orange official ROM, but Ive had this problem for about 3 months now so its been there over 3 different ROMs so im inclined to doubt its software related.

i've had the same problem since i've had the phone - sept/oct :(

Associate
Just been looking at FroydVillain and tbh I don't know what you guys are raving about ?

Yes you've got jit but here's a list of stuff that doesn't work ...

Camera Previews only (default camera app)
works with camera magic (available in market)
Video camera
LiveWallpapers
Flash 10.1 nor Flash-lite
Flash-lite requires SenseUI which is not included in this ROM

src : http://www.villainrom.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=FroydVillain

Other than jit, what are the benefits of FroydVillain other than for bragging rights ?

i can cope with not having a working camera, and its only the preview i just point and shoot 8/10 times i get what want from the pic

live wallpapers do work i have a circuit board, mario, coyote (my fav) and led scroller one, and a nexus one revamped thingy and i get double or more performance than when i was on 2.1

flash 10.1 is only for nexus one at the moment anyway

flashlite is not all that necessary and dont really miss it

sense although it was ground breaking and cool launcher pro is where its at and the functionality that sense added can now be replicated with market apps

Associate
I seem to have got the full 2.1 update and its running nicely. However a short while back I sent my phone to HTC to get the 3G fixed. It doesn't download anything. Only works when it finds HSDPA. They did nothing to it and kept my phone for 10 days. Poor effort. Gonna ask for a replacement handset this time.

Associate
Just got my hero this morning..its a new unlocked one, put my o2 simplicity contract sim in and its done 2 updates and now i have 2.1...no problems at all.

Associate
@indyskyz so you're happy living with a semi working busted ROM. Fair dos.

For myself I wouldn't find it acceptable especially when I'd have to wipe the phone later on when/'IF' the fixed ROM arrives.

Lolwut?

What's busted about it
I get a super fast sleek low memory ussage rom with built-in apps to SD ha
Oh but the camera only has 80% functionality yeah on second thoughts l think ill pass
like I said not fussed abouts flash the YouTube app still work's infact the only place I've noticed it not working is on the BBC website for videoes in news pieces

So I'll just stick with my busted rom Then

Soldato
Hello, I'm having problems with my new image.

I've installed the new Modaco Custom Rom - http://android.modaco.com/content/h...gsm-hero-now-with-online-kitchen-android-2-1/

And initially I got the boot loop but did a wipe and reinstalled the custom rom. That all went well till I got a message on my new screen saying network locked.

Is this something to do with my radio?

I'm on Orange and its got an Orange Sim card so I dont know why it was locked.

Associate
Hello, I'm having problems with my new image.

I've installed the new Modaco Custom Rom - http://android.modaco.com/content/h...gsm-hero-now-with-online-kitchen-android-2-1/

And initially I got the boot loop but did a wipe and reinstalled the custom rom. That all went well till I got a message on my new screen saying network locked.

Is this something to do with my radio?

I'm on Orange and its got an Orange Sim card so I dont know why it was locked.

you need to also flash the latest radio
urm here http://android.modaco.com/content/h...oms-radios-in-update-zip-format-for-gsm-hero/

Last edited:
Soldato
you can mount the sd though your boot loader (if its not ancient)
other than that you can nandroid back to your old rom presuming you backed up 1st
or take out the card and put it in a card reader

Well I dont know if its ancient or not. Useing Android system recovery <2>
Build CyanogenMod V1.4 + JF.

Dont see any option to mount USB onto my computer :(

Back
Top Bottom