Windows 7 not booting properly

Associate
Hi guys, when I turned my computer on today, windows 7 decided not to boot properly. It gets to the screen where you type in your login but the screen is totally black and all I can see is the cursor. Has anyone got any ideas? I'm currently running in safe mode. Cheers

Associate
OP
Its kind of working now ok, I installed AVG and it started working for some reason? No viruses were found so this is kind of wierd. Still on booting up there is more of a lapse with a blank screen.

Soldato
This is a sign a service or startup program is broken.

Open up a Run dialog and type in msconfig then hit Enter. Under the Startup tab, click Disable all. Now click OK and reboot the computer. Does the login time improve?

If so, you need to open up msconfig again and then Enable some of those startup items a few at a time [2 or 3] and see if your boot time gets delayed again. Basically it is trial and error to see which program at boot is holding up the show. Once you have found it you can delete that startup entry or reinstall the software.

If your boot up time is still slow after disabling all startup items, it could be a service. Open the Services tab in msconfig. Now put a check in Hide all Microsoft services.
This makes sure you don't disable anything important. Now Disable allagain and click Ok and reboot. Same deal as before, if boot improves Enable services a few at a time to narrow down the culprit.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Sorry to resurrect this thread again but i am getting this exact fault.

Tried what SirusB suggested and by disabling all of startup in msconfig but it doesnt make a difference, Like light mentioned at the blank screen the login is there but just not displayed properly, as i can get past it by just putting in my password,

i think it a display issue as soon as you login everything is ok again. I can logout and change profile without any problems, it just at initial login. Only thing i can think of recently updated is AVG. Going to reinstall the Display drivers seeing if that makes a difference.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
SOLVED!

For anyone who is interested - I managed to resolve this without reinstalling or removing any drivers or programs, although i still believe that it was a update from AVG (threads in their forums is a joke) that screwed up the OS settings.

I booted in safe mode and it was fine, login was visible at lower resolution, however when i boot back in normal it was screwed. I was just about to update to 10.7 display drivers or reinstalling AVG (but was reluctant without trying a simple fix first)

Here is what i did.
1. At blank screen just type in your password and it should login

2. Once on desktop change to lower resolution (My default is 1920 x 1080) and i switched to (1680 x 1050) Think any lower resolution will work.

3. Rebooted and Login will displayed correctly and just login.

4. Once logged in change resolution back to default and reboot.

Problem should be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom