Is EYEfinity a Gimmick??

Associate
Why do people keep saying they'd rather one large monitor than eyefinity?

They're clearly missing the point, it isn't about a big picture, it's about the extra resolution and peripheral vision.

Soldato
Why do people keep saying they'd rather one large monitor than eyefinity?

They're clearly missing the point, it isn't about a big picture, it's about the extra resolution and peripheral vision.

Not missing the point at all, that peripheral vision and extra resolution isn't really that beneficial, i'd rather a bigger single monitor with a larger resolution like the Dell U3011, just a pitty that it'll cost double the price my 3 monitors cost me :D

Associate
Not missing the point at all, that peripheral vision and extra resolution isn't really that beneficial, i'd rather a bigger single monitor with a larger resolution like the Dell U3011, just a pitty that it'll cost double the price my 3 monitors cost me :D

Imagine Eyefinity with a U3011 :D (1 fps :p).

Associate
Is the eyefinity thang a gimmick, or is it something enthusiasts couldnt live without?
Let's hear your thoughts on this.

When I first set it up there was a bit of adjustment needed. Took a while to get used to not turning my head to the side monitors. Initially I wasn't overwhelmed, but it's when you take the monitors away you actually appreciate the difference that they make is HUGH.
The extra vision you have is massive and make for me a great difference with fps, to the point where I really don't want to use single screen unless I have to.
There are issues though. One being you need a good rig, better then what I have but I can still play bfbc2,tf2,dragon age fine.
Many games don't have eyefinity support or are borked at the really high resolutions e.g huds messing up, unnavigable menu screens etc.
For me it's definitely not a gimmick but its not quite right yet.
If I had a choice now i'd probably opt for nvidias solution due to better sli scaling, but then nvidia wasn't an option when I got my 5870 at launch.
I love playing on three screens, but it does have me pondering over the best graphics cards to do it with.

Soldato
Spazzfish your rig is fairly similar spec to mine, what sort of graphics settings do you run BC2 on with eyefinity? I'm trying to resolve this problem im having with the mouse responsivness, i can only assume it's due to FPS dropping

Associate
I run 5760*1080, no aa, af @ x4, effects quality on medium, hbao=off, everything else set to highest, vysnc on.
That mouse responsiveness thing if i remember was a problem with the game and was meant to be resolved with the latest patch. I never had a problem with the mouse so i don't know if it was actually fixed.

Soldato
Wow! the Dell U2410 pawns BenQ G2420HDBL. Thats cause the dell is IPS monitor compared to BenQ which is TN. So it has cleared up one thing for me; which is that an IPS LCD vs TN LED will always result in the former being the winner image qualitywise

Soldato
I run 5760*1080, no aa, af @ x4, effects quality on medium, hbao=off, everything else set to highest, vysnc on.
That mouse responsiveness thing if i remember was a problem with the game and was meant to be resolved with the latest patch. I never had a problem with the mouse so i don't know if it was actually fixed.

Cheers, I'll give those settings a go, i found in crysis if FPS dropped below about 35-40 the mouse would lag there, so i assume im getting the same thing here as im trying to play at max settings with AA and AF on 4x and 8x, guess i'll need a second 5870 in order to manage that :p

Soldato
Mr. B i run BC2 at 5348x1050 all settings on high with 2xaa and 8xAF, HBAO and Bloom off. Usually around 40-55 fps only drops are on Atacama desert when it's real smokey but not to an unplayable degree.

I have never had mouse issues but as said above that is more likely a problem with the game, try posting in the official BC2 thread for some help, i'm sure someone will point u in the right direction quickly.

The only game that makes feel i need a better gfx card at this resolution is Metro 2033 as I am forced to use DX10 for it to be playable at 5040 res, DX11 becomes a slideslow. The extra power in BC2 to be able to increase AA would be nice but is by no means essential. At ur resolution u should be able to get it running most settings on high but THIS IS KEY for BC2 - it LOVES quad cores, so the higher u can clock ur CPU the better the increase in FPS will be. If ur using a dual core, the best thing u can do for BC2 performance is upgrade to a quad (in my personal experience).

Last edited:
Soldato
Eyefinity is the single best thing to happen on the PC gaming stage since the internet :)

I recently (begrudgingly) had to sell my extra monitors (bills) but as soon as I've got a job they'll be the first things I buy alongside a beefier gpu setup :)

Eyefinity provides:
-More information for your brain to process and react to (creating a higher skillcap imo)
-More immersive play.

3D is a gimmick, Eyefinity is the future :D

Associate
OP
Eyefinity is the single best thing to happen on the PC gaming stage since the internet :)

I recently (begrudgingly) had to sell my extra monitors (bills) but as soon as I've got a job they'll be the first things I buy alongside a beefier gpu setup :)

Eyefinity provides:
-More information for your brain to process and react to (creating a higher skillcap imo)
-More immersive play.

3D is a gimmick, Eyefinity is the future :D

I agree with you about 3d, Doubt ill buy into it anytime soon.
After seeing some of the photos of their EYEfinity setups on here, i can see the advantages too, and if youve got the money, might aswell.

As for me, ill stick with one good monitor for now, might get that dell ips monitor that mr.B has got soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow! the Dell U2410 pawns BenQ G2420HDBL. Thats cause the dell is IPS monitor compared to BenQ which is TN. So it has cleared up one thing for me; which is that an IPS LCD vs TN LED will always result in the former being the winner image qualitywise

It's not quite as simple as that. You are comparing a budget TN panel at an angle to a high-cost and high-quality IPS monitor under direct viewing. Most people who are viewing that photo and thinking 'wow - I wish my monitor looked like the one in the middle' are forgetting that every single colour they are seeing is being outputted by their own screen - which in many cases is a TN panel. The fact that the U2410 is broad gamut makes the contrast all the more stark. Having used a number of TN panels and IPS monitors I have no doubt that, as far as colour accuracy is concerned, IPS is by far the superior technology. Having used several LED-backlit TN panels, however, I can also tell you that the BenQ is a fairly poor implementation of the technology - with only Samsung impressing me so far in that regard. I am very much looking forward to the adoption of OLED panels by both LG and Samsung - you will look back at this whole IPS and TN LCD technology and laugh at them both. :)

Last edited:
Associate
It's not quite as simple as that. You are comparing a budget TN panel at an angle to a high-cost and high-quality IPS monitor under direct viewing. Most people who are viewing that photo and thinking 'wow - I wish my monitor looked like the one in the middle' are forgetting that every single colour they are seeing is being outputted by their own screen - which in many cases is a TN panel. The fact that the U2410 is broad gamut makes the contrast all the more stark. Having used a number of TN panels and IPS monitors I have no doubt that, as far as colour accuracy is concerned, IPS is by far the superior technology. Having used several LED-backlit TN panels, however, I can also tell you that the BenQ is a fairly poor implementation of the technology - with only Samsung impressing me so far in that regard. I am very much looking forward to the adoption of OLED panels by both LG and Samsung - you will look back at this whole IPS and TN LCD technology and laugh at them both. :)

Just read through your signature about OLED, it's made me all warm and fuzzy inside. I can't wait now!

A question about x3 displays, do movies scale with the resolution at all, or is it some horrible stretched image?

Soldato
lol, I think its hilarious how bad that Dell pwns the Benq's. Looks amazing, I wish I had it but it's just funny how good the Dell is compared to the other ones.

I have to save up for this, this is the future + my eyes can't see 3D very well.

Associate
As much as I like the idea of eyefinity, I dont think I would appreciate the performance hit running at that resolution..

I think there is a market for a a monitor that has that resolution that could have ultra widescreen for panoramic gaming... but who will be the first to do it...

Associate
As much as I like the idea of eyefinity, I dont think I would appreciate the performance hit running at that resolution..

I think there is a market for a a monitor that has that resolution that could have ultra widescreen for panoramic gaming... but who will be the first to do it...

Alienware already did it a few years ago.

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/alienware-475.jpg

Associate
I had it but wasn't overly impressed with it. My 5970 wasn't enough to run games at 6048x1200 with AA, and if i enabled TriFire, Eyefinity simply ran like absolute crap (i believe this problem is STILL unresolved)

Yes the extra desktop space is great for when in Windows, but for gaming it promised much and delivered little. Wish i hadn't sold my 30" Dell to pay for the 3 x 24" Samsungs now

Still, i'm using a single 24" now and i'm happy, no more crossing your fingers to see if your new game will work or having to play with settings on medium.

Back
Top Bottom