Grip

Associate
Lately i have been incorporating dead lifts into my compound routine but i am finding when i get to 100kg i can only do 7 reps at most and my grip just totally gives way yet i know i can do far more if it wasn't for my grip :mad:...

So my question to you is what exercises would be most effective to improve upon my grip i do the one hand facing towards me and the other away to improve it slightly but it still gives way. If i got some straps would that prevent me improving my grip as i was thinking of buying some..

Soldato
I reset my grip on every rep of deadlifts, squeeze that bar and if It's getting slippy try chalk. I used to use a mixed grip until i saw a video on here of a chap pulling his bicep on a lift.

Stick with double over hand mate.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Chalk can help in that it removes sweat from the equation. In terms of actually building more strength then using something like Captains of Crush grippers can improve your grip and you could try static hangs from a chin up bar.

Straps are, at best, unlikely to improve your grip since they'll be taking some of the strain. I'm not sure if they'll make it much worse but I don't think they'll benefit your grip strength by any stretch.

Man of Honour
Grip will improve in time the more you hold onto a bar. I try and force myself to do double overhand grip for as long as possible then I start using mix grip. Chalk helps a lot, it gets that psychological edge out of your mind in terms of the bar slipping.

Then there are a lot of grip exercises that help - don't bother with CoC as they're are less effective than say plate pinches, wrist rollers etc... They're good fun for having round at home, but it's an expensive way to do it where you have the benefit of doing it for free at home. I don't think they offer much benefit, for example a friend can close the CoC #2 with ease, but can't hold onto a bar with 300kg on it, whereas I can nearly close a #2 but can hold onto 300kg comfortably.

Straps do not build any grip strength at all, in fact the whole point of them is to move the grip element out of the equation. :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info! Well you've convinced me to not do a mixed grip but will order some chalk will probably look a bit to hardocre for the gym i'm at (david lloyd) but will give it a go, as i think thats the major problem in that my hands are always clammy...

I reset my grip on every rep of deadlifts.

But the only reason i dont reset my grip after ever rep is due to that fact that if i have the weights 5" or lower from the ground when i look at my form my back slightly bends which i cant seem to help :confused:.
Which resulted not long ago in me doing my back in and having some time off work as a result ! so i just use the rack where you do the squats and just lift it on top of there. :(

By the way plate pinchers looked it up on google saw a video so im assuming you just have to use 2 plates pinched together and then hold it there but they all seem to vary in time how long should i be looking to hold it for? and how many sets? 3?

muchas gracias

Leon

Soldato
But the only reason i dont reset my grip after ever rep is due to that fact that if i have the weights 5" or lower from the ground when i look at my form my back slightly bends which i cant seem to help :confused:.

Stop deadlifting. You don't want to increase the load on your back if it's already bending on 100KG.

This could be due to a number of things but is likely poor flexability in the hamstrings/tight hams & lower back and a weak core.

All can be improved quite quickly with some stretches and perfecting your form at lighter weight before progressing.

Youtube 'Mark Riptoe' for deadlift technique, I think it's him, for a tutorial on how to deadlift correctly and safely :)

Associate
Pretty much what everyone else has said although the 100lb CoC is a nice way to warm up. Plate pinches are at no extra cost and are fun! Chalk so you don't get sweaty and form over weight everytime.

Associate
@LeoN88: increase your stamina bro; it’s really important to increase your stamina for any specific exercise. On the same time increase your protein intake to gain some muscle which could bear the Burdon of those heavy dumbbells. I read the same in a Sporting magazine and sports magazines.

Caporegime
@LeoN88: increase your stamina bro; it’s really important to increase your stamina for any specific exercise. On the same time increase your protein intake to gain some muscle which could bear the Burdon of those heavy dumbbells. I read the same in a Sporting magazine and sports magazines.

There was no mention of dumbells and protein won't help his grip.

Odd posting style is odd, still think it's a bot :p

Soldato
Strangely I get a lot of recruitment on the tops of my forearms (and strangely a little lateral delt pump) from reverse grip EZ bar curls. No idea what effect it has on grip!

Seems that holding on to heavy weights seems to be the best solution!

Back
Top Bottom