Madness in the fast lane

Caporegime
That still doesn't mean that you pull up and immediately detain everyone, especially people who had just been involved in a vehicle collision. They were already in the care of the HATOs anyway, and they weren't being combative at that point in time.
There's no need to be condescending. You have high expectations if you expect people to be able to simply use initiative to cope with such a bizarre incident. I'm sure the officers involved wish they had been better prepared, but the whole point is that they clearly couldn't have been.

We'll have to agree to disagree. It's my point of view and general impression from watching the documentary.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;17138043 said:
Remember kids, whatever you do, RobbieG knows better.

You mean you wouldn't be cool, calm and collected if someone who just wrote off a golf with their body got up after a few minutes and tried to fight you? :confused:

This is clearly part of 'How to deal with absurdly psychotic and seemingly invincible people 101'. Basic knowledge.

Caporegime
You mean you wouldn't be cool, calm and collected if someone who just wrote off a golf with their body got up after a few minutes and tried to fight you? :confused:

This is clearly part of 'How to deal with absurdly psychotic and seemingly invincible people 101'. Basic knowledge.

Your point being that the police cannot be expect to deal with unexpected scenarios using their intelligence?

Soldato
Robbie G your view point is madness. You cant train someone to deal with this kind of situation!

The whole story is rather scary, not knowing any answers.

Soldato
Your point being that the police cannot be expect to deal with unexpected scenarios using their intelligence?

I totally agree with you, instead, as you suggest, when they arrive at a completely insane scene, where two people have run into traffic, been run over, written off a car, the Police's logical response when their behaviour turns should be to immediately attack them with batons. Definitely.

Soldato

Oh come on, there are unexpected scenarios and then there's completely bizarre, seemingly impossible scenarios that any normal person would just stand and watch in complete shock and horror. The fact that they obviously didn't do that seems to suggest that, despite them not doing what you think they should have, they did deal with the incident rather well given the circumstances.

I remember watching the actual episode and all of us just sat there stunned. Being on the actual scene must have been surreal for everyone involved, police officer or not.

Caporegime
Robbie G your view point is madness. You cant train someone to deal with this kind of situation!

It's impossible to train people to deal with every single feasible situation. Do you not have one single criticism of the police's actions (or lack of) in this scenario? You think they acted correctly in every regard?

Soldato
Tbh if your 'initiative' response to something unusual is to CS them, hit them with batons, and handcuff them - and then find out what is going on, I think you'd be better suited to somewhere like the Chinese police rather than the UK police.

Soldato
Tbh if your 'initiative' response to something unusual is to CS them, hit them with batons, and handcuff them - and then find out what is going on, I think you'd be better suited to somewhere like the LAPD rather than the UK police.

:p

Soldato
That was messed up. It's definately a thought provoking video - anyone could look "normal" and not be so. Imagine the chaos had the twins been behind a wheel. It begs the question, should the DVLA only issue a licence subject to a satisfactory medical exam?

[TW]Fox;17138043 said:
Remember kids, whatever you do, RobbieG knows better.

[TW]Fox;17138113 said:
Not everyone is as intelligent as you, Robbie.

Why are you trolling? :confused:

Caporegime
Tbh if your 'initiative' response to something unusual is to CS them, hit them with batons, and handcuff them - and then find out what is going on, I think you'd be better suited to somewhere like the Chinese police rather than the UK police.

Absolutely. Far better to stand back and allow them to throw themselves under motorway traffic until they grow bored, than to actually take meaningful action.

I simply feel that they could have done better, a lot better.

Soldato
Absolutely. Far better to stand back and allow them to throw themselves under motorway traffic until they grow bored, than to actually take meaningful action.

You're criticising them for not knowing what was going to happen next. I don't think anyone could have even guessed that what happened, would.

Can you imagine how it would have looked if they'd immediately detained the two females upon arrival at the scene? Police officers handcuffing and detaining two young women who have just been hit by cars. There'd be outrage, regardless of the fact that it may have (unknowingly) prevented any further incidents. Same thing applies to using batons or incapacitant spray on them after just being hit by vehicles for a second time.

Soldato

The world is an infinitely simpler place when you have the benefit of hindsight though.

Soldato

You are talking about an incident that is so incredibly rare that its made it on two TV programmes, one of which was made specifically about this incident.

You are talking like the people involved should have known what to do, almost as if they should have trained for it. They went from assisting casualties to fighting one of them in the space of a few minutes.

I don't think the initial incident could have been handled differently.

I do think you are about as wrong as I've seen anyone be.

Soldato
You're criticising them for not knowing what was going to happen next. I don't think anyone could have even guessed that what happened, would.

Can you imagine how it would have looked if they'd immediately detained the two females upon arrival at the scene? Police officers handcuffing and detaining two young women who have just been hit by cars. There'd be outrage, regardless of the fact that it may have (unknowingly) prevented any further incidents. Same thing applies to using batons or incapacitant spray on them after just being hit by vehicles for a second time.

Oh he's even more wrong than that. He doesn't realise it but in effect he's saying ALL casualties should be treated as people who could assault police officers.

He's being crazy.

Caporegime

SHE RAN UNDER TRAFFIC THREE TIMES. THREE!!! And nobody could have known what would happen next?

I'm shocked that you still think nobody could have foreseen at least the third one. They STILL left a female officer on her own with the woman. How many times before someone thinks, 'hang on, something's very wrong here, I'm going to make sure this person is immobile so we can treat her and remove her from the scene'?

Yes, and I'm equally critical of the over-PC society that has let it come to this, rather than let the police do their jobs of securing the nutters and reducing the danger to the public.

Oh he's even more wrong than that. He doesn't realise it but in effect he's saying ALL casualties should be treated as people who could assault police officers.

No, I'm saying that casualties that have run under traffic twice already and spat at and abused medics should be treated as people that can potentially assault a police officer.

You are talking about an incident that is so incredibly rare that its made it on two TV programmes, one of which was made specifically about this incident.

You are talking like the people involved should have known what to do, almost as if they should have trained for it. They went from assisting casualties to fighting one of them in the space of a few minutes.

I don't think the initial incident could have been handled differently.

I do think you are about as wrong as I've seen anyone be.

Police arrived on the scene having already been made aware that these women have tried to kill themselves once. They stand at the side of the motorway calmly interviewing them, not for one moment thinking 'What if they try again?'. And to you this is perfectly reasonable?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom