• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Problem with ati 4890

Associate
Hey guys,

I've recently bought an ati 4890, it had been playing fine for about 3 days.. when suddenly today the pc wont boot up.

The card seems to go through it's normal post/start up process over and over ie:

the 3 red lights flash, fan goes on full.. then slows down.

Then happens about 3-4 times before the pc beeps in anger. And no display what so ever.

Any ideas if this is a broken psu or card, or anything else?

Help GREATLY appreciated.

Cheers.
(p.s running a pretty crappy(and 1-2years old) oryxx 750w psu)

Associate
sounds like something else is at fault, the 3 red lights flash is saying its ok iirc, mine does 3 red flash at boot and got no probs other than the fan is going.
only thing i can think of is count the beeps and note long short etc, its a fault code, a single beep is all is ok i believe, well i hope it is lol. and check connections too i had a fussy dvi port on an older card and gave some probs b4

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replys guys. I upgraded from an 8800gtx. If I plug the 8800gtx back in, the pc boots fine(haven't tried playing though as it's basically dead) so it's somthing up with the card ati itself or power drawing wise.

Soldato
So you've gone from a 140W ish card to a 190W+ card. I'm suspecting the Power Supply here but it's not that much of a hike in power. Maybe only 4 Amps if 12v power or something.

A little while back my PC kept rebooting and basically refused to stay up for more than about a minute. I didn't have a speaker attached to verify any beeping but the system just couldn't hold the 4890 stable so it tripped the system into a reboot.

Disconnecting the PSU and replacing it with my backup unit solved the problem and it's now running fine. I dont know what was wrong with the PSU but FSP are sending me a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom