Those water filter things.

Associate
My parents want to buy a water filter for the house, you put salt cubes in it and you get a different little tap where water comes out. I live in South East London.

-Is it worth it?

-Are there any health benefits?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
edit - ignore me, I was thinking specifically about a plumbed in water softener/filter which then feeds the entire house.

Soldato
Water is generally filtered that much these dyas that its nearly as grime free as the bottled stuff in in a lot of cases now is actually better. As above, they are onlky really any good if you have poor water (hard mostly) as this can cause issues with your kettle etc// not much you can do about other appliances such as the dish washer though.

Andy

Permabanned
My parents have had a water softener fitted to their plumbing for years as the water in their area is very hard. They have no scale problems like we do with their shower head, their washing machine has lasted years and their dishwasher doesn't have to have salt added to it.

The tap in the kitchen is separate from the softener system as this is mandatory.

Associate
my water here in hertfordshire is absolute pants, its so hard it furs up a kettle after the first boil, so i used a big brita jug to fill the kettle, water for pans , drinks etc...

out of interest does anyone know if hard water is more benificial, ie in terms of minerals, calcium magnesium etc.. to the health?

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Water in everywhere ive lived has been bad (born and grew up in Wigan so the water was pap due to the mining etc). Water here in Reading is very hard also, lots of limescale etc. I just tend to use a water filter as i'm in rented accomo at the mo, but when i get my own place i'll look into getting a filter on the main feed in so it saves on fur growing around taps, shower heads etc :)

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
my water here in hertfordshire is absolute pants, its so hard it furs up a kettle after the first boil, so i used a big brita jug to fill the kettle, water for pans , drinks etc...

out of interest does anyone know if hard water is more benificial, ie in terms of minerals, calcium magnesium etc.. to the health?

Have the same problem mate - living in Hertford. All water has to go through the Brita first :(

Soldato

sorry guys, i had to google it :p

"The advantages of hard water are

1) It tastes better and is thought to reduce the number of heart illnesses.

2) It provides useful calcium ions for the healthy growth
of bones and teeth.

3) The formation of lime scale in pipes (see below)
causes the inside of the pipe to be covered with insoluble carbonates.
This layer of carbonate prevents the water in the pipe
from coming into contact with the metal of the pipe
and so prevents pipe corrosion
and poisonous metal salts becoming dissolved in the water.

The disadvantages of hard water are

1) Lime scale furring of kettles and pipes.
The fur is the insoluble carbonate formed
during heating water with temporary hardness.
The deposits of lime scale can build up on the inside of the pipe
restricting the flow of water or causing a blockage.
This can happen in industry where hot water is used
or in domestic heating systems (like the hot water in your house).
Lime scale deposits can be removed using a weak acid.

Lime scale in pipes can be prevented using a water softener
or a scale inhibitor.
Lime scale in pipes can also be an advantage (see above).

2) Soap is wasted because more soap is required for washing.
Soap in hard water forms a "scum" from reacting with
the calcium or magnesium compounds in the water.
Other detergents which do not contain soap
do not form wasteful scum during washing."

Soldato
sorry guys, i had to google it :p

"The advantages of hard water are

1) It tastes better and is thought to reduce the number of heart illnesses. It's thought to, but that means there's not proper evidence

2) It provides useful calcium ions for the healthy growth
of bones and teeth. Drink some milk :confused:

3) The formation of lime scale in pipes (see below)
causes the inside of the pipe to be covered with insoluble carbonates.
This layer of carbonate prevents the water in the pipe
from coming into contact with the metal of the pipe
and so prevents pipe corrosion
and poisonous metal salts becoming dissolved in the water.
The pipe's not going to corrode :rolleyes:

Associate
J. col is some of your information backwards?

I'm sure soft water means you use less soap. If you read the back of a washing powder box it tells you to use less for soft and more for hard.

The taste thing is likely subjective but I hate the taste of hard water. Then again I'm Scottish so have been drinking soft water all my life.

Edit: Nevermind about the soap I thought it was in 'advantages' for some reason

Last edited:
Soldato
J. col is some of your information backwards?

I'm sure soft water means you use less soap. If you read the back of a washing powder box it tells you to use less for soft and more for hard.

The taste thing is likely subjective but I hate the taste of hard water. Then again I'm Scottish so have been drinking soft water all my life.

Edit: Nevermind about the soap I thought it was in 'advantages' for some reason

i am from ireland, and like you was reared on soft water, trust me, if you taste hard water for the first time, its horrible:eek:

i found the info on gcse science, here is link
http://www.gcsescience.com/f6.htm

Back
Top Bottom