*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Really into my supersets at the moment. Always do one superset of exercises at the end of each workout. Gives you a massive pump and really finishes that musclegroup off

Associate
However intervals need to be much much shorter. It needs to be a maximal effort. And I really mean maximal. If you can run flat out for 1 minute for effectively 11 sets then you aren't going hard enough I'm affraid! You'll still see results though.

I agree with this, in simple terms if you don't feel sick you are not working hard enough. Maybe try out the tabata method which is 8 sets of 20 seconds of activity and 10 seconds rest (you are just suppoed to be able to catch your breath) with a minutes rest between each round.

5 minute warm up on the bike/treadmill/rower then choose your torture. I normally do my hiit at home so end up mixing up body weight exercises with areobic exercises. Started off barely finishing 1 round and 9 weeks later I am up to 3 (2 marority upper body and 1 lower body) think the goal now is to get it upto 5 rounds of exercise and see how I feel. As for benefits my resting heart rate is down to 60bpm (last time I measured was May when it was around 70 I think) and energy wise I feel fantastic. Might even join the gym and start to lift again.

Associate
My protein sell unflavoured. One I had tasted like sour milk though and was the last shake I ever had as a result. Depends if you plan to put it in food or something? Might not taste it.

Man of Honour
Don't want to start a new thread but can any one suggest a Whey powder thats un-flavoured? I've looked every where and can't find one.

MyProtein Impact Whey Unflavoured.
Myprotein Impact Whey Isolate Unflavoured.
MyProtein Hemp Powder Unflavoured.

There's lots of choice available as Bulk Supplements Direct amongst others also do similar products. Hemp protein is a bit of an acquired taste though I reckon, Freefaller loves it, I've got to admit to being less keen although maybe mixing it with whey as well would help. If you do order with MyProtein then using code MP141391 should get you 5% off your first order and you'd be helping me although I'm no doubt thousands of points away from getting anything. Similarly for Bulk Supplements the code BSD1647 will get you 5% off your first order.

Soldato
With HIIT I wouldn't say you have to kill yourself doing it.

When combining it with other cardio exercises or weights, I'll do 200 metres of 12.5km/h followed by 200 metres of 18km/h... and so on.

If I want to go to the gym just to do HIIT I tend to do 200-300 metres of 14.7km/h and 100 - 200 metres of 20-23km/h, and repeat it for 15-20 minutes, and then a warm down jog afterwards for 10 minutes.

I absolutely swear by HIIT it's the only type of running I've really been doing since June (apart from the occasional 10-12K but that's rare for me) and the drinking weight around my stomach has been torn off very quickly. I also don't appear to have lost any muscle whatsoever. It also should fire up your energy levels massively after about an hour or so, if it doesn't you are pushing yourself too hard. Do not apply the 'no pain no gain' weights mentality to cardio work.

Also have to agree with the others who've said rowing is best for HIIT as you don't have to waste time waiting for the treadmill to speed up and down but I've only recently got into rowing so haven't really tried it yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
cheers Scott :)

I went on scales tonight (same time every time I weigh myself) and had dropped 3 pounds since saturday - now at 11 stone 5 from 13 stone 6 or so about 4 months ago :)

hard work though :(

last night was a 1 1/4 hr session in gym, 45 minutes of which was a 7.5km run, the rest weights

tonight was 35 minutes on treadmill, 2km warmup - then 1 min @ 6km , 1 min @ 15.5km/hr - a number of sets (6 or 7 or so) - then a 1km warm-down @ about 11km/hr or so

then 30 minutes of weights, lots of assisted chinups etc, inclined (machine) chest press etc - have gone over the 4 months from max of about 30-35kf on the chest press to 3 or 4 reps tonight of 70kg - much better

feeling a LOT fitter :)

Associate
MyProtein Impact Whey Unflavoured.
Myprotein Impact Whey Isolate Unflavoured.
MyProtein Hemp Powder Unflavoured.

There's lots of choice available as Bulk Supplements Direct amongst others also do similar products. Hemp protein is a bit of an acquired taste though I reckon, Freefaller loves it, I've got to admit to being less keen although maybe mixing it with whey as well would help. If you do order with MyProtein then using code MP141391 should get you 5% off your first order and you'd be helping me although I'm no doubt thousands of points away from getting anything. Similarly for Bulk Supplements the code BSD1647 will get you 5% off your first order.
Cheers Buddy!

Soldato
cheers Scott :)

I went on scales tonight (same time every time I weigh myself) and had dropped 3 pounds since saturday - now at 11 stone 5 from 13 stone 6 or so about 4 months ago :)

hard work though :(

last night was a 1 1/4 hr session in gym, 45 minutes of which was a 7.5km run, the rest weights

tonight was 35 minutes on treadmill, 2km warmup - then 1 min @ 6km , 1 min @ 15.5km/hr - a number of sets (6 or 7 or so) - then a 1km warm-down @ about 11km/hr or so

then 30 minutes of weights, lots of assisted chinups etc, inclined (machine) chest press etc - have gone over the 4 months from max of about 30-35kf on the chest press to 3 or 4 reps tonight of 70kg - much better

feeling a LOT fitter :)

I tend not to combine weights and long distance cardio but if you're short of time and you don't overdo it on the cardio then I guess that's fine. I may be corrected here but I'm pretty sure it's best to do long distance cardio after weights to reap the benefits but someone may correct me on this. The problem is long distance cardio uses up vital calories required for muscle building and the physical energy required to lift weights effectively. HIIT I don't believe actually burns a huge amount of calories during the routine but research has shown you burn much more fat/preserve muscle in the long run by doing it as opposed to long distance. I definitely think that it's best to keep your long distance running on separate days.

I think generally with HIIT as long as you've got the idea then you certainly won't be doing harm, just like you increase weights over time, keep on increasing your speed as you get fitter and don't go past 20 minutes as it beats the point, obviously that 20 minutes excludes your warm up and warm down.

I've also found the most reliable way to measure your weight is to measure it first thing in the morning and last thing at night and take the average figure.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tend not to combine weights and long distance cardio but if you're short of time and you don't overdo it on the cardio then I guess that's fine. I may be corrected here but I'm pretty sure it's best to do long distance cardio after weights to reap the benefits but someone may correct me on this. The problem is long distance cardio uses up vital calories required for muscle building and the physical energy required to lift weights effectively. HIIT I don't believe actually burns a huge amount of calories during the routine but research has shown you burn much more fat/preserve muscle in the long run by doing it.

I think generally with HIIT as long as you've got the idea then you certainly won't be doing harm, just like you increase weights over time, keep on increasing your speed as you get fitter and don't go past 20 minutes as it beats the point.

I've also found the most reliable way to measure your weight is to measure it first thing in the morning and last thing at night and take the average figure.

what a great idea ! never thought of that

Soldato
its quite funny - I'm doing 3 nights at the gym, followed by a day of rest, then 2 nights at the gym, day of rest, on the 3rd night of the 3 nights I'm shattered - I almost felt like falling asleep between sets on the bench press

get home, and think thank goodness no session tomorrrow night

the next day comes and I'm disappointed I'm not going - must be the adrenaline rush I suppose

Soldato
probably not eating enough - I'm cutting back - not eating between meals etc

got home tonight and was absolutely starving

how much should I eat for breakfast - to last me till lunch ? I'm trying to obviously tone up and put on a bit of muscle mass while loosing weight- bad combo I know - normally have a low fat yoghurt, 2 pieces of dry brown toast, and a piece of fruit, and a glass of orange juice (pure) for breakfast, previously I'd have a cereal bar half way through morning, but I've for last week been trying to hold out till lunch - although been getting major hunger pangs

Soldato
It's not really a bad combination, just refrain from starving yourself. Remember a heavy weights session continually burns calories over the coming 24 hours - you have to put them back otherwise your efforts are meaningless.

Don't let yourself get to stage where your stomach is aching for food. Maybe try some scrambled egg along with your low fat breakfast?

Soldato
Time for my rehab to start on my arm. Doc is going to put me on anti-inflammatories and funnily enough I need to strengthen the muscles in my arms to avoid tendonitis again.

Odd considering I was doing that when it started, but I have to do so without putting unwanted stress on the tendon for next 2-3 weeks.

Solution, hand grippers from Ultimate Grip and samson grip :D

Got grippers from 50-350 :D
Going to be a wild time, everything up to the 250 is super easy, while I can only get the 250 nearly closed with about 8mm-1cm left before it touches of it other handle.

Can barely budge the 300 and 350, but I', confident it won't take long to get there.

So I'll have a super grip by the time I can start powerlifting again, along with bigger and stronger forarms :D

Soldato
Hi all.

I could do with some advice because I really need to gain size and strength.

I'm 6'1" and when I weighed myself last week I was shocked to find that I weigh just 10.1st.

Last year I bought a power rack, bench, barbell and weights. I started the StrongLifts 5x5 programme in October and sorted out my diet. I gained almost 12lb during that time and received positive comments from friends and family.
However, when winter came I found it very difficult to workout in a freezing cold barn with absolutely no motivation. I then injured my neck doing the overhead press which I was having difficulty with and that's when I stupidly gave up.
Since then it's been a very stressful time for me in my life and unfortunately I've been eating like a bird which is why I've lost a lot of those initial gains.

For the last week I've changed my diet and started eating a lot more. It feels like my stomach has grown already as I'm constantly hungry which is a good sign. I'm probably getting around 3000kcals at the moment, but as soon as I start lifting again I'll increase it further.

My questions are:
1. Do you think I should go back to doing StrongLifts 5x5 as I did see good initial gains, or should I try a 3x5 programme like Rippetoe's Starting Strength?
2. What do you do as a warm up before lifting?
3. What can I do to help improve my flexibility and posture?
4. What alternatives are there to the overhead press which I was having problems with? (Bearing in mind that I only have a power rack, bench and barbell). My shoulders really need more mass but I kept getting injured with the OHP.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Associate
Either of those beginner programmes will suit your needs mate. I am doing SL myself. For warming up I tend to do empty bar exercises, nice and slow and focusing on technique and breathing. You should also do warm-up sets with a little weight, building up to your working sets. For flexibility and posture try dynamic stretching etc.
The OHP is an integral part of these programmes and shouldn't really be replaced with anything else. Just build it up slowly (try and get some 500g weights or something) and take your time. Focus on technique, keeping your glutes and core tight as you push.

I'm sure some of the resident experts will have some more advice for you. Good luck and don't give up!

Edit: If you can get a training partner that can have a huge impact on your training and motiviation.

Soldato
...normally have a low fat yoghurt, 2 pieces of dry brown toast, and a piece of fruit, and a glass of orange juice (pure)...

There's an unnerving trend seen here, you eat almost exclusively carbohydrates for breakfast (and mostly sugar too!).

Yoghurt
Banana
Toast
Orange Juice

423 calories, 2.5g fat, 81g carb, 18.6g protein (and 47.4g sugars)*

Here's a better option:

Scrambled Egg (3 Eggs, in 10g butter)
4 rashers of bacon (grilled)
1 piece of toast

789 calories, 54g fat, 12g carb, 63g protein. *

And before you start blathering on about eating low-fat, my advice is that low-carb is a better way to lose weight anyway.

*depends on how much you eat but these are conservative estimates

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone else get a wierd pain in their shoulder doing dips? I get this and not sure why or if I should replace dips for CGBP.

You're probably going too 'deep' (on most exercises a good thing!). I can't remember the specifics but basically going too low (where the elbows are above the shoulder) puts a lot of strain on the shoulder which can cause injury.

Back
Top Bottom