Dilema thats doing my head in

dal

dal

Associate
Ok guys/ gurls, I'm in a situation thats starting to do my head in.

Right I've been offered a good job ( I'm a HGV driver but good as far as HGV jobs go ), it's a nice easy job, I'll only be working around 7 hours a night, finishing around 11.30 pm, with most HGV driving jobs they want a good 11 - 12 hours out of you each day / night.
Here's the problem, I'm due to move in with my girlfriend in 2 weeks time for a 3 week trial and she lives 90 miles from me so taking this job & moving in with the GF is NOT a option.
Just cant decide what to do.

option 1 - Take the job & stay where I am ( living with parents at moment which isnt ideal, I'm getting to the stage where I'm ready to move out TBH ) which means my relationship with my girlfriend is restricted to weekends onlys :(

option 2 - Move in with GF and dont take the job, I can get work where she lives but I'ts not work that I'd be really happy with, I'd be working for a agency so the work wont be guaranteed allthough I've worked for agencys before and allways had enough work to keep me going. Thing is if it dont work out I'll be back living with parents again & the job would have gone.

* I tried living with my girlfriend a year ago & it didnt work out, I feel better about things this time but I wont know unless I give it a go.

dal

dal

Associate
OP
Can't you two find a house somewhere in the middle, that way you would be starting from scratch as well.

Not really her daugther is at school, not fair to move her to a new school unless we know for sure things will work out ok, well as sure as we can be anyway.

Associate
I don't think anyone can really tell you what to do, not knowing the ins and outs of your relationship, so I guess it's just up to you to weigh it up.

I guess ask yourself stuff like, can you honestly see a future with your gf? Is it something you're willing to risk losing this job for- as in, if it worked out, would it make you happier than this job would? Also, if it didn't work out, would you be able to find another job near your parents place in the future?

I guess it boils down to whether or not you think this relationship is worth the risk- me, being a bit of a romantic, impulsive girl, I would risk it (but then, to me relationships have always come before jobs- a lot of people think it's foolish, and so far they've been proven right tbh, but I'm hoping one day it'll work out!)

Man of Honour
I don't think anyone can really tell you what to do, not knowing the ins and outs of your relationship, so I guess it's just up to you to weigh it up.

This if you can't commute or get a better suited house. Then only you know how you feel and where your head and heart are.

Permabanned
My brother is a HGV driver and he is with an agency. The work is very sporadic and during August there has been very little. He also gets jobs that take him out of the country for a couple of days or ends up sleeping in his cab on a long haul.

No one can really judge your situation but yourself so you need to weigh things up really carefully. I hope that you're not being put under pressure on this as it's your future and no-one should make it for you.

Back
Top Bottom