Playing the lottery online?

Soldato
Does anyone doing. I've never brought a lottery ticket in my life and thinking of doing a weekly thing. I keep on hearing friends and family winning a small fortune now and again (thought I dont know how much they keep on spending)

Is this good for a little fun or am I just going down a bad route?

Associate
My one piece of advice regarding playing the lotto is to never have the same numbers week in week out. As soon as you start doing this you will never be able to stop in fear that your old numbers get drawn.

My tip is to either find a way of generating your numbers yourself, ie Microsoft Excel rand function or just choose lucky dip at the lotto shop/website.

Associate
I buy three tickets every week, from the local shop. Been doing that since it started. I know that my chances of winning are astronomical but to date I have won about £70 in tenners and £1,850 with 5 matching balls. The thing is do not get sucked in to buying £££'s worth of tickets and it is, as you say, a bit of fun.

Soldato
You have only a tiny chance of winning but that tiny chance is greater than if you don't buy a ticket! So if you want to then why not? Just don't spend lots of money on it pointlessly.

I get a ticket each week (unless I forget) and do this online ... it's certainly more convenient that doing it in a shop. I don't use their subscription option though.

Soldato
Lucky dip is the way to go.

It's all fixed so that whatever combination of numbers people don't picked the gaps are filled (most of the time) with combinations from the "lucky dip".

I think they (the lottery) created this scenario to limit the possibility of the 4 of 5 times roll over situation that happened few years ago...
Which morons complained about because if they had one winner they'd be too rich... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Lucky dip is the way to go.

It's all fixed so that whatever combination of numbers people don't picked the gaps are filled (most of the time) with combinations from the "lucky dip".

I think they (the lottery) created this scenario to limit the possibility of the 4 of 5 times roll over situation that happened few years ago...
Which morons complained about because if they had one winner they'd be too rich... :rolleyes:

Fixed? Yeah ok :rolleyes:

And for the record, I've never played the lottery.

Soldato
Fixed? Yeah ok :rolleyes:

And for the record, I've never played the lottery.

Yay! Knew some retard would jump on the word fixed.

trollface.gif

For the record; I wasn't suggesting the outcome/results are fixed. I was suggesting the lotto created lucky dip to fill in (or cover if you will) the combinations of numbers people haven't picked manually to cover most of the possible outcomes/combinations. Therefore increasing the chances of a winner and decreasing the chances of an epic rollover situation, which as i said people complained about a few years back.

LEARN2READ. :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
Learn to read?

"It's all fixed" is hardly specific to Lucky Dip now is it?

And retard? Easy on the personal insults.

Also fyi, lucky dip is just random numbers.

A Lucky Dip selection is genuinely random, just like the lottery itself.

It appears that it's a straightforward pseudo-random number generator seeded by the clock on the terminal (although I'd also expect the retailer terminal number to be used as well to ensure a unique start seed).

From a quick bit of looking around.

Soldato
Learn to read?

"It's all fixed" is hardly specific to Lucky Dip now is it?

And retard? Easy on the personal insults.

Also fyi, lucky dip is just random numbers.

From a quick bit of looking around.

Wether it's genuinely random or not, its still a fixed situtation that creates more random combinations than what would have been picked manually otherwise, it's fills up the possibilities of no one winning.

I think you're confusing my usage of the word fixed, I don't mean fixed as in fiddled for the organiser to win/profit everytime the lotto profits enough not to do that. I mean it in the sense of they've fixed it so they've decreased the chances of it rolling over.

They've fixed it in the fairest possible sense by doing lucky dip and making it genuinely random, and I'm no mathematician but surely if the outcome is random, picking random numbers (or a lucky dip) is a good (and if you ask me, a better) option.

I don't know maybe someone else could explain it better than me. :)

Last edited:
Soldato

They already did, they don't have a list of 'rarely played combinations' it's random (or as random as an electronic device can manage).

What you said was 100% wrong, fiction, made up, crazy talk, so accept it and move on.

Soldato
I play it online. No tickets to lose and I get the occasional email telling me I have won. Always lucky dip as well.

Odd thing is, I have won about 6 times in the last 9 months, as well as three weeks in a row just before Christmas. Nothing big at all ,but always on the Euro rather than the Lotto.

Soldato
Wether it's genuinely random or not, its still a fixed situtation that creates more random combinations than what would have been picked manually otherwise, it's fills up the possibilities of no one winning.

I think you're confusing my usage of the word fixed, I don't mean fixed as in fiddled for the organiser to win/profit everytime the lotto profits enough not to do that. I mean it in the sense of they've fixed it so they've decreased the chances of it rolling over.

They've fixed it in the fairest possible sense by doing lucky dip and making it genuinely random, and I'm no mathematician but surely if the outcome is random, picking random numbers (or a lucky dip) is a good (and if you ask me, a better) option.

Random numbers do probably decrease the chance of a roll over since I imagine a large percentage of people play the same numbers in and out each week, creating a large pool of the most commonly picked numbers, decreasing the chance of a number being picked.

But lucky dip is just a random number, not a number picked from a pool of least used numbers.

Soldato
I have the same numbers every week, but since I always play on line and randomly picked the numbers when I first signed up, I have no idea what they are! I have won £20 in 3-4 years :/
£2 per week.

Soldato
They already did, they don't have a list of 'rarely played combinations' it's random (or as random as an electronic device can manage).

What you said was 100% wrong, fiction, made up, crazy talk, so accept it and move on.

I think what he's trying to say is that people generally pick numbers that mean something to them i.e. birthdays, age of first born son etc etc as well as huge numbers picking "lucky 7" or the number 13. Consequently if the lottery picks out 6 high numbers for a few weeks in a row, there's a greater chance of several roll overs because most people are picking lower numbers. The lucky dip is purely random and therefore should theoretically have a more random spread of numbers. Still no 'fix' of course.

Associate
Ive played the lottery online with the same numbers for about 6months now and have won a total of £80. Not great but Im waiting for the biggie! :D

Back
Top Bottom