life time sentence for persistant US drunk driver

Man of Honour
So they're jailing him for life because in the future he might kill someone? Minority Report anyone? At least they were certain that the person would kill in the future.

M

Soldato
"Stovall had been facing up to five years in jail after being arrested in July 2009 when he crashed his truck into another vehicle"

Would have seemed like a much better idea to have given him 5 years then?

Soldato
9th time !

shouldn't someone have helped him after the 3rd time being caught ?

perhaps this will make people in America think twice about drink driving.

shame the UK isn't like this to be honest.

Associate
Right way of doing it, although tbh, hes going to be funded by tax-payers just to have 3 meals a day, have guards 24/7, not to mention the land being taken up and he'd eventually rot in prison.. I would personally just get it over with and get him executed in a humane manner If I were to set punishments..

I think there is no point in keeping someone in prison for longer than 20 years... as surely, if you manage to get out after 20 years, you won't get much out of your life anyways.

I think the same should be done for murder and manslaughter.

Soldato
There's a guy over here who has at the time recorded at least 32 driving offences, included are 14 times without insurance, 3 without a license, 7 whilst disqualified and an undisclosed number of times for drink driving, stealing and driving a vehicle, driving without due care and attention as well as dangerous and wreckless driving.

Not to mentioned the 216 other offences since, if I recall correctly 1991, importation of drugs, theft, damage to property and more.

There was a whole hoo hah about giving him a "last chance" in 2009 but if you google his name he had a "last chance" in 2007.

What did he get? 6 months probation, 120 hours of community service and banned from driving for 12 months. Because that clearly stopped him for the past 18 years, right?

Ah well.

Soldato
To be honest if this is his 9th time getting caught id say you could easily times that number by 5 and get the amount of times hes driven drunk and never been caught. A driving ban on someone with such disregard for the law wouldn't work, he would just drive anyway.

Not sure i agree on the sentance though, I feel the same with the 3 strike rule in California.

Associate
Still I think its way too harsh, drug traffickers and robbers get away with less. He should have been sent to rehab or something.

Associate
America seriously needs to reconsider the way it uses imprisonment. They have an enormous prison population per capita and yet no evidence that their harsh punishments are detering criminals.

Back
Top Bottom