Why no 3.5" SSDs?

Soldato
One think I was wondering, how come there are no 3.5" SSDs? A lot of hardware (cases, brackets etc) is geared up for 3.5" hardrives, but it seems all SSDs that are coming out are all 2.5" or smaller. How come nobody has made a 3.5" SSD that is either larger capacity and more expensive, or use slower SSD components and make a large, cheapish SSD? That way I could add a load to my hot swappable rackmount case and have a nice silent server (Although building a 2U rackmount with 2.5" drives it tempting).

:)

Soldato
One think I was wondering, how come there are no 3.5" SSDs? A lot of hardware (cases, brackets etc) is geared up for 3.5" hardrives, but it seems all SSDs that are coming out are all 2.5" or smaller. How come nobody has made a 3.5" SSD that is either larger capacity and more expensive, or use slower SSD components and make a large, cheapish SSD? That way I could add a load to my hot swappable rackmount case and have a nice silent server (Although building a 2U rackmount with 2.5" drives it tempting).

:)

No point, 2.5 form factor fits laptops where they are well suited and a 3.5" carrier is easy to get hold of. I'm sure the 2.5" form factor hasn't been filled yet and as this sort of technology gets smaller and more dense I can't see a need for 3.5".

Andi.

Soldato
The Colossus series never really took off and the RAIDed SSDs don't seem to be very stable at the moment. The 3.5" SSDs from all manufacturers have been priced too high IMO when a pair of 2.5" SSDs in RAID generally work better and save you some money.

Caporegime
but its like i ordered my SSD C300 from OCUk.. did i figure that there would be no way to mount it in a standard case even with retail packaging?

nope... had to seperately order an akasa setup...

nowhere in the product details does it recommend to order a 2.5->3.5 adapter but i have to make 2x orders not 1, wasting OCUK time and money picking 2 seperate orders,,,

Associate
Surely OcUK are missing a trick by not linking to an addaptor from the descrition of the SSD's which don't include one ;)

Soldato
but its like i ordered my SSD C300 from OCUk.. did i figure that there would be no way to mount it in a standard case even with retail packaging?

nowhere in the product details does it recommend to order a 2.5->3.5 adapter but i have to make 2x orders not 1, wasting OCUK time and money picking 2 seperate orders,,,

Is it not assumed that an adapter will not be included unless stated otherwise?

Soldato

It doesn't recommend you purchase an adapter, but it does clearly tell you (on every SSD on the website) that it is a 2.5" drive.

Isn't it common knowledge that a HDD is generally 3.5 inches?

I would have presumed common-sense would have prevailed?

Caporegime
oh yes i know a hdd is 3.5"

but it doesnt specify that its for a notebook... just that the hdd is in the form factor of 2.5"

as no accessory to move to a 2-3.5" converter is specified on the product AND with the product being a retail product not oem, i would have expected it to come with a mount yes.

Associate
SSDs don't need mounting anyway, mine sits in the bottom of my case.
Touché, mine sits atop the drive cage with 4 blobs of blu-tack :D

Another benefit of 2.5" form factor is you can get a caddy that'll house 2 x 2.5" drives in a single 3.5" bay, retaining proper cable directions.

Back
Top Bottom