Roll on winter..

Soldato
I wish the cold spells would hurry up - I love winter and can't wait to get back up north again this year.. I've been looking through some of my fave winter shots I took early this year/late last year.
I love the snow and ice - especially ice when its -15 or colder, permafrost you could make jewellery out of if it didn't melt.. Stood on 3ft thick ice.. brrr..

Just a few misc shots, all shot on large format 5x4.

Isle of Skye - Frozen river, Loch Sliggan

ice.jpg

Isle of Skye - Old man of Storr

storr1.jpg

Dunstanburgh Castle <again>

duns.jpg

North Gare - Teesside

Teeside.jpg

Saltwick Bay - Digital wall

wall1.jpg

Middlesborough - Newport bridge

bridge.jpg

Whitby pier <Horsman 612 rollfilm back>

whitby.jpg

Soldato
Beautiful shots, love them all. Do you have a website?

How do you get these from film to computer? Do you process on computer or are you a traditionalist? :)

I'd love to have a go on a large format, I have an ancient large format camera in my bedroom that was a birthday present... This has inspired me to go take some shots of it and post up as I'd like some help with ways of getting it working again:D

Associate
Another stunning set V-Spec. I like them all, which given their landscape subject isn't something I normally appreciate is quite an achievement.

Do these large format bad boys expose automatically like a DSLR, or do you have to get the light meter and calculator out and do it manually yourself?

Soldato
OP
Another stunning set V-Spec. I like them all, which given their landscape subject isn't something I normally appreciate is quite an achievement.

Cheers :)

Do these large format bad boys expose automatically like a DSLR, or do you have to get the light meter and calculator out and do it manually yourself?

Heh I wish, large format is completley manual - so light meter, focusing loupe, etc etc.. it can take from 5-10 mins to setup each image

Associate
Some interesting stuff here Tim, loving the compositions.

I particularly like 4, 5, 6 and 7, because they appear to be correctly exposed. 7 for me would be perfect, but for it gets a little dark to the right of the image, and unbalances it for me.

The others seem a little gloomy/underexposed?

I don't know for sure, as I wasn't there and don't know what you were seeing, but that's what I see. I immediately suspected my monitor, so these pics prompted me to re-calibrate it. If it was my monitor, then all the shots would appear a little dark to me?

The old man of storr shot, the second one, seems to have very odd coloured snow too?

Anyway, in the good old 'sandwich feedback' way, I still think these are some excellent shots, and I'd have been happy to take some even half as good. It's an excellent tool you have there, and more importantly you are skilled at using it! :)

Last edited:
Associate
1 and 6 are really special, some of the others are a bit more clichéd but the composition and quality of them is stunning.

The not-too-distorted wide-angle perspective you get with 'longer' focal length lenses on larger formats is really great. Wish I had the talent and patience to get into MF/LF!

Do you develop these yourself?

Back
Top Bottom