You can't cook in a microwave

Soldato
I really dislike having to use the microwave to 'cook', things that can be done in an oven OR a microwave I choose the oven every time because I consider the microwave to only be any good for heating pre-cooked things up. Am I ignorant or do other people feel the same way?
You either have never had a good microwave at your disposal, or are ignorant to the wonders it can achieve

Microwaves are brilliant for steaming veg (plastic bowl, clingfilm on top), defrosting food (when you have a good microwave) and even steam cooking the perfect rice. When you have a microwave oven, you can do all sorts - such as oven bake jacket potatoes, but microwave ovens are expensive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Off-topic:

I've never understood why a vegetarian (basically someone making a choice not to eat meat for reasons best known to them) would want to eat food imitating meat. "Quorn Steak Strips" "Meat Free Chicken Pieces". Buy the real thing or stick to your ridiculous values.

Let's examine a few reasons people might choose not to eat meat and evaluate your statement:

1) They don't like the taste or texture of meat - in this case, I agree with you. It doesn't make much sense.

2) Health reasons - this is largely valid, as meat contains higher levels of mercury (e.g. fish), hormones, toxins etc. than vegetable-sourced products. Meat also tends to be hgher in saturated fat. (Toxins tend to accumulate upwards in the food chain). Eating alternatives is therefore logical.

3) Energy efficiency - It is more efficient to grow crops than farm animals, therefore eating alternatives is logical.

4) Environmental - Similar to 3) but with the additional issue of waste products, then eating alternatives is logical.

4) Morality - if the vegetarian in question believes that killing an organism capable of registering pain is wrong, then eating alternatives is logical.

5) Religion - if the vegetarian in question believes that (insert belief here), then eating alternatives is logical.

Other than 1), what's not to understand?

(Just for the record, I myself am vegetarian primarily because of the moral aspect. As a human, I am in the unique position of being able to transcend my instincts. I believe it is morally wrong to inflict pain or kill another creature capable of suffering. I choose to eat meat substitutes because I like the taste of meat, but eating it would be in conflict to my moral values. I would however find it very difficult to refrain from eating meat if there were no alternatives. In this day and age, there is such an abundance and variety of vegetable-based products that the choice is available to all. With the advent of "meat without feet" - i.e. synthetic meat grown in vats etc. - the choice will be even easier, at least from the moral perspective. Serve me up a rare entrecôte with no pre-existing consciousness and I'm there! :p)

On-topic:

Microwaves r0xor!

Last edited:
Soldato
Microwave scrambled eggs are vastly better than pan ones, imo.

That's the only thing where it's actually better. It's good for beans and soup and spaghetti hoops and ready meals but that's mostly it.

I always balls it up when I try to defrost meat in the microwave.

Soldato
2) Health reasons - this is largely valid, as meat contains higher levels of mercury (e.g. fish), hormones, toxins etc. than vegetable-sourced products. Meat also tends to be hgher in saturated fat. (Toxins tend to accumulate upwards in the food chain). Eating alternatives is therefore logical.
They don't contain "high" levels or mercury.

Soldato
If you ask me, it's more faff to make eggs in the microwave than in a pan. When making it in a frying pan to have on toast, the eggs are ready before your toast is!

Permabanned
Funnily enough, the other half came home with a Reggae-Reggae BBQ Chicken & Rice ready meal. Now, usually I'd have it on the oven, but I thought I'd try it in the microwave after reading this thread.

It was awesome. Didn't really taste like it was done in the microwave at all.

Man of Honour
You can't miss something until you've lived with something for a bit. An iPhone virgin will never miss an iPhone, and go about happily with their standard dumbphone. They'll only miss it once they have it and then have it taken away.

I've had microwaves in most of the places I've lived. I don't have one anymore, and hence the comment of why I'm not missing it. So I have had one, and I don't miss it. I only used it to reheat stuff as IMO it's not worthwhile for anything else - but I like to cook, and am a bit of a food snob.

Soldato
I haven't owned a microwave for years, disgraceful things. Don't miss it at all and am also a food snob as above. If I had to use one it would be to heat plates, that's all.

Soldato
Rarely use a microwave but I wouldn't say I go out of my way not to use it, I really couldn't care.

Microwave scrambled eggs are vastly better than pan ones, imo.

You are doing it wrong
icon14.gif

Back
Top Bottom