Spec me a Suit

Man of Honour
I don't like any of the suits in M&S at all!

In fact in Sept I'm attending a close relative's wedding and a bunch of us have arranged to wear matching suits but have decided on suits that could also be worn casually too (at work for example or something else formal) so have been looking around. If you have factory outlets nearby you can get some good deals.

I've this one button suit which the others like too:
https://docs.google.com/present/edi...GJmc18xMDM5ajhtdmcy&authkey=CL2GtZcD&hl=en_GB

I have just a casual suit jacket from the same brand which I got about 2 years ago, quality is good and it looks as new as it did back when I bought it.

Soldato
Key to a suit looking good is how it fits you:

Go for single breasted rather than double breasted, which can make you look wide.

Trousers should come down to half way down the back of your shoe or slightly more, be careful not to buy trousers that are too short.

Watch out for shoulder pads that are too large and obvious.

Also, I usually find it's better if you can buy two pairs of trousers for a given suit as these always wear out first.

Rgds

Associate
OP
Key to a suit looking good is how it fits you:

Go for single breasted rather than double breasted, which can make you look wide.

Trousers should come down to half way down the back of your shoe or slightly more, be careful not to buy trousers that are too short.

Watch out for shoulder pads that are too large and obvious.

Also, I usually find it's better if you can buy two pairs of trousers for a given suit as these always wear out first.

Rgds

Very helpful tips there. I would never go double breasted till my senior years ;)

Associate
OP
is there much involved in adding a button + hole to a suit?

I saw a very sharp Ben Sherman in debenhams, nice long gorge, but it was 1 button, which I dislike. Wondering if it would look out of place to add a button/hole, I don't think so since it would never be buttoned anyway...

Soldato
is there much involved in adding a button + hole to a suit?

I saw a very sharp Ben Sherman in debenhams, nice long gorge, but it was 1 button, which I dislike. Wondering if it would look out of place to add a button/hole, I don't think so since it would never be buttoned anyway...

It won't look right, the length of the lapels will be all wrong. Don't do it, one button suits are fine.

You do both buttons up on your suits?

You shouldn't.

Soldato
Slaters is a great store. I went to the Leeds branch and got a Jaguar branded suit reduced from £450 to £320. Looks and feels fantastic, and they even adjusted the trousers to fit.

Associate
People are saying stuff like "You shouldn't do up both buttons" yet recommend M&S Suits!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Paul Smith has some nice light material suits at the moment, as does Takeo Kikuchi. Just got myself one 2 weeks ago. They'll set you back a few hundred but worth every penny. It completely changes your image and people's thoughts on you, especially if you are in sales or regularly face clients.

I can't understand the "M&S 'cos it's cheap" culture in the UK. Why not forget about that realise you'll wear it more than any other piece of clothing in your wardrobe and get a decent one?

Associate
I thought the M&S suits looked alright on the site, but in-store horrible and cheap and for old people. I bought one and took it back because I looked again in the mirror and thought I looked like I dressed like my grandad.

Soldato
At the £600 you're now thinkingnof spending I'd go bespoke - you can choose exactly the style and material you want and it will fit you perfectly providing the tailor is half decent.

It will therefore look a million times better than anything off the shelf at the same price.

Soldato
I thought the M&S suits looked alright on the site, but in-store horrible and cheap and for old people. I bought one and took it back because I looked again in the mirror and thought I looked like I dressed like my grandad.

Marks and spencers suits are classically styled and look awfull on some people. The luxury collictione(sp) i think look great and i am 6ft 3ish. My old man is 5ft 6ish and all M&S suits make him look like a dogs dinner.

Back
Top Bottom