Holiday dilemma

Soldato
Hi OCUK'ers

Running out of ideas here, maybe you could help us out?

My mate and I want to go on a late Summer holiday, around the 20th of September.

Heres the criteria,

Has to be hot

Has to be busy with good night life

But not too busy with kids spewing up everywhere!

Around £300ish budget

Decent flight times (no 2:00am return jobbies etc)

I appreciate the criteria is quite strict but we dont want to end up in a dump full of teenagers, crap flights etc etc

We thought of Karmedena in Kos, neither of us have been and it looks good but we are struggling with decent flights, they all seem to be in the middle of the night and the hotels are mostly 2wentys which is no good for us!

Any ideas of resorts we could look at so we have more options please? No Malia, no tenerife, no Magaluff etc etc etc

Cheers

Associate
Alicante is good, will still be hot then :) went in June for 7 nights, hardly any English. didn't see any trouble/drunken louts.

Beautiful city, nice beach, clubs bars etc...cheap flights/accom, ticks all the boxes :cool:

Soldato
As per the above Kos is no better then Malia tenerife etc (not that i talk from experience, some friends went and it was another typical "lads" holiday drinkfest, that was about 5 years ago now mind maybe its changed? )

Associate
You scared of flying when it's dark or something? Just take the early flight times and enjoy the holiday O_o

I also hate flying late at night! most of the time it means you lose the first day of your hol, :( and having to wait around on your last day is pants!

Agree with the op, its an important factor when looking for flights :cool:

Man of Honour
You want to spend rock bottom money on a foreign holiday. Either accept that this gives you a rubbish flight to a rubbish resort, or spend more money or go in November or something.

Associate
[TW]Fox;17184948 said:
You want to spend rock bottom money on a foreign holiday. Either accept that this gives you a rubbish flight to a rubbish resort, or spend more money or go in November or something.

Yea there's going to have to be some give and take because of the budget, whether it be flights that are not ideal or hotel/resort not best located.

OP, my holiday cost £340ish, flights were 'ok' hotel was above average, Alicante made up for it tho. Considering the flight is such a small part of the holiday and we hardly spent any time at the hotel, it was an amazing cheap hol and im gonna go back next year.

So it can be done, good luck ;)

Soldato
OP
Yea there's going to have to be some give and take because of the budget, whether it be flights that are not ideal or hotel/resort not best located.

OP, my holiday cost £340ish, flights were 'ok' hotel was above average, Alicante made up for it tho. Considering the flight is such a small part of the holiday and we hardly spent any time at the hotel, it was an amazing cheap hol and im gonna go back next year.

So it can be done, good luck ;)

I'm talking to my mate via text this morning and i've mentioned this to him, he agrees that something has to change and its the budget that has to go up, what I dont understand is my parents have been away three times year, each holiday between £200 and £250 all with day time flights but I suppose they are going to different destinations

We are going to get something booked this weekend so we will compare Kos with Alicante, would be nice to get one or two more resorts without Musty Pie doing his morning finger flexing

Soldato
Give it up eh, don't you have anything better to do ;)

TBH i actually don't

Still stand by what i say entirely though, having nothing better to do doesn't change that.

Oh and as per above *FLEX FLEX*

I told you in my first post, there is nothing special about kos, its another drink/puke "lad" fest.

But maybe that is actually what your after.

EDIT: and to back up what i say check out this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=512747

If thats not being helpfull i dont know what is?

*FLEX*

Last edited:
Associate
I'm talking to my mate via text this morning and i've mentioned this to him, he agrees that something has to change and its the budget that has to go up, what I dont understand is my parents have been away three times year, each holiday between £200 and £250 all with day time flights but I suppose they are going to different destinations

We are going to get something booked this weekend so we will compare Kos with Alicante, would be nice to get one or two more resorts without Musty Pie doing his morning finger flexing

I know nothing about Kos, i expect it to be completely different to Alicante though!

The 'summer sun' festival 'Hogueras' was on when i had my hol, so the hotel prices were £50-100 more expensive during that week, gutted at the time of booking :( but oh boy the festival was immense, beach parties every night, fireworks etc..street processions!

So yea woulda been ~ £250-300 which is dam cheap!

would be nice to get one or two more resorts without Musty Pie doing his morning finger flexing

Ha! LOL :D flexing something, not his/her brain unfortunately ...

Hope you get some more idea's bud, dam im jealous now, really need another holiday :mad:

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help, i've not been away since 2008, wasnt going to bother this year but my mate has just split with his girlfriend and I can get the cash together at short notice (hence the budget) so thought "why not!"

Associate
Thanks for the help

no problem :)

I will say since i have the same opinion as you (what type of holiday you want) if you can up the budget slightly to give you a better resort, then do it! don't worry so much about the flights!

"why not" yup exactly mate! it can be done despite people telling you it cannot. Keep looking and stay positive, have a great time wherever you go :D

Soldato
OP
Corfu/Kavos?

Is Kavos a bit like Magaluff? I'll look into Corfu, not been there. Thanks

I'll look into it, thanks.

Spoke to my mate at dinner and it looks like instead of spending more we are going to grab a deal in a 2wenty's hotel for £270, yeah it'll be a dump but we'll be hammered and hopefully Musty Pie's girlfriend will be there by coincidence

Cheers

Soldato
Is Kavos a bit like Magaluff? I'll look into Corfu, not been there. Thanks

I'll look into it, thanks.

Spoke to my mate at dinner and it looks like instead of spending more we are going to grab a deal in a 2wenty's hotel for £270, yeah it'll be a dump but we'll be hammered and hopefully Musty Pie's girlfriend will be there by coincidence

Cheers

Bit over the top and personal wasn't it mate?
Besides my GF will be with me in japan. Much better then your crappy lads holiday

Enjoy.

Soldato
I went to Zante with my girlfriend last year, to the quieter end. It's not a big island so you can get to anything you want to get to, but Laganas is the lad's holiday bit. Where we were was almost entirely couples, families, and a few quieter groups of young people.

Nice island, I liked it. Plenty to do if you want to, bars and restaurants where we were, lots of clubs in Laganas, boat trips, all the usually holiday island stuff. We spent most of the two weeks trucking around to every corner of the island on a quad.

Quiet enough to happily do nothing at all if you want to as well.

Back
Top Bottom