Argh - Parking ticket!

Soldato
Hi all,

I got a parking ticket today, I did buy a parking permit to cover more than my stay, but I think while my sister was faffing around before we left the car, it must have fallen off the dash, and into the foot well.

Obviously I've still got the original ticket proving that I bought one, if I ring the firm, are they likely to accept the original ticket via recorded delivery as proof of purchase, therefore avoiding the penalty?

This was in a private car park (hence they threaten "civil proceedings" on the notes on the back).

Advice much appreciated, thanks! I'll be ringing them tomorrow but I can imagine how (un)helpful they will be.

Last edited:
Soldato
Write to them with a copy of the ticket. While it's not enforceable so not worth much fighting, the threatening letters and things might get annoying

Soldato
OP
Write to them with a copy of the ticket. While it's not enforceable so not worth much fighting, the threatening letters and things might get annoying

Actually my sister just said she'd had success in writing to the same firm, so I'm writing to them explaining what's happened, with a copy of the CPN and the Parking ticket I bought. Keeping the originals just in case.

Cheers. I didn't think it was enforceable being on private land, so if they won't budge I'll get some advice and most likely tell them to do one. On my side is the fact that the number plate written has what looks like a W instead of a U :p

The thing is, I'd rather avoid getting a "black mark" as I don't want to park there again only to get clamped for "outstanding fines".

Soldato
You reckon? Most of those will be automated anyway, so for the sake of 10 minutes and a stamp, I'd be inclined to give it a go

Soldato
Well i'm guessing writing to them would be considered "acknowledging" the fine, and if you give them any kind of sniff that you're the person who parked there, it's only going to make the hate-mail worse surely?

Better just to ignore it, if they've not given up within a few weeks just write then and tell them to go bother the driver, not the registered keeper.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Basically a private parking ticket is an invoice for a breach of contract. The invoice is payable by the driver of the car.

They have no idea who the driver was, only the registered keeper, and unlike the police and the council they have no legal power to demand that you identify the driver. Without knowing the identity of the driver they have nobody to invoice.

So do not speak to, write to or otherwise acknowledge or respond to their threats as they do not have a leg to stand on when they only have the registered keeper to harass.

Oh and didn't Cameron just make clamping illegal anyway?

Associate
My girlfriend got a parking ticket off the council after the sticker fell off her windscreen.

Her solution to this was to phone them up and threaten them with the sales of goods act, stating that the adhesive used was not fit for purpose.. they dropped it.

she studies law.. she probably used some long law related jargon to scare them off. *dunno*

However, echo above... as yours is private, ignore it.

Soldato
Oh hey! A non-embedded Youtube with no indication as to what it might be. I'll be sure to click that.

2yxj3fl.jpg

Soldato
OP
Update: They wrote back to me saying that they'd reviewed the copies of the ticket and penalty notice I'd sent them and that no further action would be taken. Matter is closed :)

\o/

Back
Top Bottom