• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

So, no BFG RMA, moving to ATI

Associate
I've done some research and my thoughs are that a good cost-effective upgrade from my double-dead 8800 GTX would be the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5830

I know I could probably spend even less and still get significant improvements, but this card seems to be held in high regard.

Anyone have any comments or further advice on this upgrade before I purchase next month?

Ta

Soldato
I should probably add...

Budget is ~200
PSU in use is 620w Corsair
MB in use is Gigabyte 965P-DS4
Won't be using SLI/Xfire
Won't be OC'ing
1920/1200

Get Radeon 5850, it can be had for £200 inc and will be the best single card option. Unless you stretch to £225 and get the 470 that is.

Man of Honour
Yeah if your gonna spend £200 or so definitely most cost effective is 5850 or GTX470. If your not going to OC then the 5850 - but the GTX470 with an overclock would be best :p if slightly noisey.

Associate
OP
That's a point - I would like an efficient, quiet card - even if it might compromise slightly on performance. Reviews tend to rate Sapphire's high-end cooler equipped cards, but then reviews in general tend to contradict each other on the noise subject.

It's pretty difficult choosing a vendor isn't it?

Also, where are you guys seeing these £200 inc VAT 5850s :D

Soldato
I'd say 460 1gb with a view to adding another for SLI.

If you're not going to overclock though, a Powercolor 5830 would be the way to go. Factory overclocked with a lower voltage and a 5870 cooler, so it runs super cool and quiet.

Back
Top Bottom