The perfect budget?

Associate
Hi people,
I have been wondering this recently so thought I would get a discussion going about it - What is the perfect budget?
By this I mean where do you feel is the happy balance between performance and price for a gaming computer.
So, What is your price and why do you feel that way?

Madals

Associate
probably around £800 without a moniter, i usally set prices first before looking for example saying i will spend £115 on a motherboard and £90 on RAM etc.. i find its the easiest way to stick to your budget :)

Soldato
id say about £700-800.

will get u a pretty decent base unit without going top end.

something like an i5/GTX460 would come in that budget.

obviously if you want to go top end, that budget would have to be much higher, but then at that point, the extra price you pay doesn't equal the extra performance u will get

Associate
I'd say £1200 was probably a good amount. You can get high end stuff, without going for the absolute best of each component.

Last edited:
Associate
£1000-1400 For a tower from scratch.

The extra £100-200 spent on higher quality brands and longer warranties really help the re-sale value of the individual parts when you decide to upgrade.

Soldato
I would say £700 - £900 without a monitor, that will get you something pretty kick-ass.

A recent observation I made is people over-spend on motherboards, mine cost £85 :D
To spend more than £150 on a mobo seems mad to me. Whilst they may have the potential to OC further, you have to ask if 2/300mhz is worth and extra money/hours spent benching.

Soldato
If I was to buy a PC right now, £2000. I refuse to buy a full new PC that doesn't have a solid state and at least as much RAM as I currently have.

The £2k includes a ~£500 screen though, so £1500 for base.

Soldato
Wasn't even trying to get it to £800 but here it is:

71723287.png

Associate
The perfect budget, isn't.

What I mean is, the perfect budget for a PC is infinite.

But I'd buy an Asus for £2k. Or if Vadim didn't go bankrupt, buy a £14k monster gaming rig :D

Soldato
It all depends on what resolutions and what games you play at.

If you play max res on 24" then preferably around 800.

If you play at lower res, then usually a budget around 600 would be just fine.

Also if you're building a new complete build first time I'd spend more on things like monitor, case, psu and mice, maybe soundcard and speakers/headsets as those last usually through several upgrades and it's nice to not skimp on those, that brings the budget quite up but after you've got nice set then the next upgrades/builds can be had for as low as 300-400 for a quality setup.

The main thing that many have to realise is that future proofing doesn't exist anymore, buy what you need for now and upgrade in a few months/year, keeping same PC for longer than 2yrs is just un-economical.

Back
Top Bottom