**** Original Starcraft 2 Thread ****

Soldato
C
IdrA has always been bad mannered, his BM is becoming a SC meme. Your wrong, Idra is Very, Very good. I never suggested he is a god. I do have a lot of respect for him as a player and frankly I think his achievements speak for themselves. I also don't mind his BM as generally he says what a lot of people are thinking, and says the things that other people would like to say, but don't. That does not mean I condone it in Tournaments though.

And again you are missing the point. The game should not have progressed to that stage. If that matchup happened on any other map, or any other race combination. IdrA's dominance in the game would have ended it way way sooner. TBH he didn't really win by luck either. ZvX always results in Zerg losing a tonne of supply when they engage in head-on battles. But because of map dominance and the larva mechanistic Zerg can rebuild at a tremendous rate. Oh and if you look at the mining bases IdrA was doing way better than Droobie overall IIRC IdrA was mining from a few places and had enough map control to still expand in the places he was not mining. Droobie was almost mined out everywhere, which is why they were fighting over that bottom right hand expansion.

IdrA won the game and any other outcome would have made a mockery of the game.

This game is actually a prime example of the imballance between Terran and Zerg at the moment.

im not doubting that t is imba, i agree especially mid game.
i do disagree on idra ending it sooner if circumstances were slightly different, i have watched many an idra game with many of them coming as a crushing defeat to him bc he was simply outplayed, but again the idra rage comes. I understand Idras points but if he has real concerns about any imba he should really put them across sensibly - simply claiming that every lose he has is down to imba is not the way to do it. heck he complains about protoss aswell being overpowered of course when he LOSES.

needlesstosay idra whilst being a top level player makes some rediculous decisions and often his reactions are way to late ... despite of course his amazing macroing.

Generally (except for tournaments). The only IdrA games that get onto the net are the ones where he rages, win or lose.

Occasionally he is outplayed. Tester has done some clever tricks against IdrA which IdrA himself has openly stated he hasn't got a response for. I've seen a few Protoss games (Tester KoTB and WhiteRa TLI spring to mind) Where Idra had the "Advantage" and lost to one good push, typically he is graceful in defeat in these games (he may not have GG'd but he didn't rage).

I have also seen IdrA lose a lot of Cheese / Map imbalance games and he will certainly make his opinion of the opponent clear. Usually saying something like "Don't think your good because you beat me using that BS". Which is IMO a fair comment. If I beat a top level player like IdrA you know full well I'll be posting it on the internet, regardless if the win was through genuine skill or, using a cheap "No-Skill" tactic or just fluke.

The last rage I see is generally reserved for Map abuse/ Terran. The games against Silver are a key example of this. Silvers play on Kulas against Idra was based around the map's layout favoring Terran, and the same can be said about the follow-up match on Lost Temple. Obviously as a Terran player you'd be stupid not to make use of these advantages. That said... Was it the players skill that won the games, or the imballance between the races (Zerg have no response to early-mid game cliff abuse)

The last point that has to be made is whilst I think often the Idra Rage is him over-reacting in a game, and not biting his tongue so to speak. The establishment seems to be courting the controversy and attention it generates on the internet. Making IdrA mad seems to get your name or your organisations name in the spotlight. His BM is in my opinion no worse than Jose Mourinho's

Oh Terran > Protoss > Zerg. Z v P is not too bad I'd say 55:45 in Protoss's favor (terran is something like 80:20 when going Mech). Generally I'd say Zerg have 1 real means for controlling a ZvP, the Muta. Protoss have many options, but require Z to either not use Mutas or P to pacify the Muta threat. Once Mutas are not viable Protoss can cause zerg terrible terrible damage.

I'm still trying to work out if IdrAs timing for Broodlords in the Droobie game was well timed or just too late.
Part of me says "Well if he went Broodlords earlier he would have drawn that silly game to an end sooner"
The other part of me says "Making Droobie commit to a late, late game ground army with little opportunity to invest in significant AA units Due to supply caps and the map resources dwindling is what allowed the Broodlords to have such a free-reign"
Basically saying. If Idra went Broodlords earlier he may have lost due to Viking/BC abuse.

And almost every encounter that Idra/Droobie had since Idra got Ultras (except that one in the bottom right hand corner) should have on paper been a victory for IdrA and would have been on a map like Lost Temple or Metalopolis where there were wide open spaces and the Stupid Stupid Ultras did not get lost and start spinning in circles.

Kulas has so many chokes that it funnels the Zerg units into a line and allows the Terran Tanks/bunkers/Planetary fortresses to simply abuse the tight spaces.

Its also very easy for an observer who can see the entire map to say "IdrA should have done XYZ" IIRC HDStarcraft repeatedly stated "Idra Should bust down these rocks and flank Droobie, this will end the game" But if Idra can not see the entire map, does not know where the enemy is positioned all his units etc. Its very hard to call. At the end of the day, IdrA deseved to win, did win, and because partly due to Droobies syle, and partly due to Droobies race and partly due to the ingame banter from Droobie, IdrA rubbed his victory in Droobies face.

Last edited:
Good games last night YouRebelScum... Well the second game was good if I don't say so myself :) first game was a bit of bad luck. I watched the replay of the second game I dont think the toss player made a single army unit the whole game.

For those who did not play that game (i.e. the rest of the world)

I think it was a TZvRR game on Twilight Princess (or whatever the map is called)

I scouted the enemy base TZ v PT... And thought... Hmm somethings not right, Best double check. No buildings **** "Check your base they're both Proxying".

Just then we both see a teal colored blob appear on the map near YRS's base. I'm massing lings and throwing down spines (3) like a mad man. In comes the cannon rush and the marine rush at YouRebelScums base. I run my lings over hoping its the first cannon... Its not Its like the 15millionth. I look at the number of enemy marines in the base and thought ... Well not much I can do here my lings can probably take the marines but not stop the cannons and probably won't stop the reinforcements. Looks like YRS is out of the game. So I rushed my lings over to the enemy base and teched speed. I killed every SCV I could find, forced a lift off and killed the pylon, warping cannon, forge and nexus of the Toss. but not all the probes. I then went back to the Terrans base killed off all his non-floating buildings

The Terran retreated back to his base whilst the Protoss Retreated to YRS's natural, the Terran killed off my lings. YRS had managed to float his CC to my natural and his rax and a few of his buildings were intact so he managed to start over.

The Terran landed his CC (I think I missed one SCV) and the Toss managed to build a new nexus at YRS natural and then a second one back at his base. I teched to mutas and began a muta harras at the rebuilt Toss and Terran mains forcing them to turret/cannon up, which gave me the freedom to expand. YRS had also rebuilt his force and was tanking the Toss base in YRS's natural.

We just started our push to the TP Main when I think they saw the tanks sitting outside their ramp they quit.

Would have been nice if they had quit when they lost all their SCVs/Nexus Because they were clearly out of the game at that point. I don't think either of them made a single extra unit (or in the Toss's case their first unit) after that point.

Last edited:
Soldato
About a dozen practice games in and only won a few, am I hoping too much to think starcraft 2 will be friendly for the part time gamer??

I think so. I was expecting to come across a lot of bad players like you get in most games but so far i havnt come across any. (Unless i really am that crap to get beaten by the worst)

Man of Honour
I think so. I was expecting to come across a lot of bad players like you get in most games but so far i havnt come across any. (Unless i really am that crap to get beaten by the worst)

I came across a few in the first week or so e.g. people who tech and don't build units! But people quickly learn and the last few games I played seemed to last really long - unless someone managed a quick rush.

Associate
I came across a few in the first week or so e.g. people who tech and don't build units! But people quickly learn and the last few games I played seemed to last really long - unless someone managed a quick rush.

My economy usage is good but i guess just working out what to build and prepare for rush is part of the learning.
I played a co-op 3 human versus 3 AI and one of our team members decided to half kill the AI and then attack us!

Soldato
What does it mean when my opponent is favored/slightly favored?That he is in a higher league?
its based on the hidden ratings that you wont see, basically hes better then you not necessarily in a higher league. matchmaking is pretty lame atm - it constantly puts people with high ranked players causing many beginners to simply give up.

its something blizzard need to really address else there not going to end up with much of a community.

Soldato
I think I will start playing Toss instead of terran now as it seems I can not find a way against fast mass rouches .... if a player gets them out quickly, im doomed :eek:

Soldato
I think I will start playing Toss instead of terran now as it seems I can not find a way against fast mass rouches .... if a player gets them out quickly, im doomed :eek:

You're going to have a lot more trouble against roaches as protoss. A lot more trouble. Terran have the easiest counter to roaches in the entire game - the marauder.

Associate
Any advice on how to cope with zerg rushes with Terran? On small maps I have only just about got my barracks ready before 4-5 zergs attack and there's nothing I can do about it!

Soldato
Any advice on how to cope with zerg rushes with Terran? On small maps I have only just about got my barracks ready before 4-5 zergs attack and there's nothing I can do about it!

What's your build order? Unless the zerg is 6 or 7 pooling every game, which is unlikely, you can easily get a barracks and 2 supply depots (or a barracks add on) to block your ramp before the usual zergling timing.

Associate
What's your build order? Unless the zerg is 6 or 7 pooling every game, which is unlikely, you can easily get a barracks and 2 supply depots (or a barracks add on) to block your ramp before the usual zergling timing.

Not on the smaller maps!

I usually get to 9 scv then build supply depot then barracks

kar

kar

Associate
Don't know where I read this, but one of those 'rules of thumb' for Terran players is to always start building your barracks before your first supply depot.

Back
Top Bottom