• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Guess what I just did

AMG

AMG

Soldato
hello guys I just placed my order on a MSI GTX480 :)

my first Nvidia in years

cost me £349 ( there about) well happy

that don't mean to say you can call me a fanboi ethoir my two HD4890s serived me very well but I just want a single card and why not the GTX480 ?

now than drivers....latest onces ? or betas also could I just get away with just uninstalling ATI drivers restarting than installing Nvidia onces?

oh yeah guess were from :D

Last edited:

uv

uv

Soldato
Not to flame, but don't two 4890's in crossfire beat a GTX480?

Not if you want to play Windowed, or play without micro-stutter, or play a title with DX11, or play a game that doesn't have crossfire issues.

I've just made the change from a 4870X2 to a single overclocked GTX460, and I'm very happy with the change in minimum fps, noise, ability to play windowed and the fact that I no longer have to deal with rubbish crossfire drivers.

AMG

AMG

Soldato
OP
Not to flame, but don't two 4890's in crossfire beat a GTX480?
*if I remember correctly*

a GTX295 could in some situations I ll admit that and two HD4890s even at stock come close to one, need alone overlocked... asuming you don't have driver issues ( aka a good set of drivers) nothing wrong with ATI drivers nothing great about em ethoir...I think at the end of the day is becasue Nvidia do a lot more with devs than AMD do so they tend to miss a bit.. plus the linux factor as well...so really its my own needs what justifed me going to Nvidia.

I just want to go back to a single card. which is as fast ( perfered a bit faster) than my current.

plus looking at the current state of game its best to go with Nvidia as they seem optimized ( some of them) *cough boarderlands* also its nice having a change

Last edited:
Man of Honour
480 v 4890 CF out the box it will be swings and roundabouts - put a bit of an overclock on the 480 tho and its no constest - it will consistantly give better performance either in smoothness and/or outright framerate.

That said even out the box the GTX480 would probably be faster on the balance of tests.

Caporegime
Meh, anyone with a greater IQ of over 50 would take a 480 over 4890 xfire.

Coming from you Raven that means nothing.
I'd take a single GPU over a crossfire set up however.

480 v 4890 CF out the box it will be swings and roundabouts - put a bit of an overclock on the 480 tho and its no constest - it will consistantly give better performance either in smoothness and/or outright framerate.

In consistency, the GTX480 would be better, that goes without saying, however you can't make an OC arguement for the 480 without saying the same about the 4890's...

Man of Honour
I still find their Mass Effect 2 results odd... try as I might I can't replicate it with my GTX470 v GTX260 SLI - the 400 series card is always atleast on par and generally around 20% quicker with the latest drivers - only thing I can think of - the drivers they used for the 200 series didn't have the AA fix and the 400 set did.

Caporegime
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/167?vs=158

Oh look the 480 is about on par with 285 SLI, I would say the 4890's would get spanked of a 480.

Are we looking at the same benchmarks, the GTX285 SLI is better by quite a good way.

And 4890's when OC'ed have came close to GTX285's.
All dependant on the benchmark.

Make a flawed arguement, you'll get one back.

I'm not even saying the GTX480 is bad, I'd prefer a single GPU.

Soldato
^^ lol are you looking at the same benchmarks as I and rroff, would someone else please confirm that " GTX285 SLI is better by quite a good way " going by the anandtech comparison.:rolleyes:

Just so you know, the 480 results are in black.

Man of Honour
Except for ME2 - which I'm getting the impression the drivers for their 200 series didn't have AA actually working - the results are generally fairly close. (Or the benchmark scene(s) were ones which allowed the 200 series SLI to bring its awesome fillrate to bare and doesn't really reflect overall ME2 performance).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Can you not play in windowed mode when using crossfire or is their some other issue's while using windowed mode?
I'm asking as I would genuinely like to know why windowed mode is an issue with crossfire.

Same, not had any problems playing windowed mode in the past with my 5970 :confused:. Is there something I don't know about it?

Back
Top Bottom