FAO: Birmingham Residents - Stolen Ford Fiesta

Soldato
I'll keep an eye out for it as I live around there. Luckily I don't see too many lime green Fiesta's around these parts. They're usually the older type with Evo bodykits and massive spoilers 'init bruv'.

Man of Honour
Some guy has his car stolen, and his friend posts on a popular forum asking if anyone in the area may have any info... and gets digs for it.

Well done OcUK, a new low.

And your superior input is... what?

What are we supposed to do? Somebody has stolen a Ford Fiesta in the second biggest city in the country. A Fiesta that is utterly generic* and fully insured.

*This isn't an insult, however, it highlights the fact it isn't some guys pride and joy custom built Mitsubishi Evo or something like most 'stolen' threads. It is 100% replaceable with another car thats identical in every possible way. It is so easily replaceable that the owner probably doesnt even want it back.

'Stolen' threads work when somebody steals a modified or unique car that isnt easily replaceable.

They do not work when somebody steals a base model Fiesta.

Man of Honour
But you have posted, and you've not moved on as you've come back to reply to me (And ignore the point I made), and it's a matter of opinion whether wading into a thread to have a pop at those posting in it is a 'troll' or not.

But then thats always been your style, so I'm not suprised.

Caporegime
I came in to read, on the off chance that someone else had seen it or had some info, much like the other thread linked, but saw some posters giving a dig to the OP.

What point have I missed?! :confused: I didn't even intend on replying to the OP, simply reading the content of the thread - only to see the digs and felt it necessary to point out they were unnecessary.

What were you expecting the OP to respond with? "Sorry Mr Fox, won't happen again Mr Fox."

Mul

Mul

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;17244973 said:
And your superior input is... what?

What are we supposed to do? Somebody has stolen a Ford Fiesta in the second biggest city in the country. A Fiesta that is utterly generic* and fully insured.

*This isn't an insult, however, it highlights the fact it isn't some guys pride and joy custom built Mitsubishi Evo or something like most 'stolen' threads. It is 100% replaceable with another car thats identical in every possible way. It is so easily replaceable that the owner probably doesnt even want it back.

'Stolen' threads work when somebody steals a modified or unique car that isnt easily replaceable.

They do not work when somebody steals a base model Fiesta.

For what it's worth I completely understand why I have been critisised for creating this thread.

What you haven't considered is that regardless of what common sense may suggest, this particular owner wants his car back. Even if he can't get it back, gaining some information about it's recent whereabouts could at least help trace the criminals involved. Yes, this is the job of the police force, but what harm have I caused by asking those who live in nearby areas?

Yes the car is as common as muck but sometimes with a bit of luck, people may well have noticed something suspicious in the area.

The car may not be much but it is still someone's pride and joy and ultimately it was something that once belonged to someone and has now been taken away.

I suppose it's easier to assume that I'm trying to be some kind of attention whore but whether you like it or not, I'm simply trying to do a friend a favour. He had already hit the social networks but since I am registered on a forum with an active Motors community as well as UKFN, I thought it was still worth a shot.

Man of Honour
On the contrary the car is indeed much - its worth in excess of £10,000. It's worth more than most people here have on the driveway.

But, crucially, it is not difficult to replace - his insurer will actually provide him with a new 60 plate Fiesta instead in settlement of his claim. Not getting the car back puts him in a better condition than if it is recovered - where it will almost certainly be damaged and require repair, and he'll never really know how it was treated.

It's in his best interests to never see this car again.

Don
Surely it doesn't matter whether or not the car can be easily replaced;

Surely what it boils down to is trying to help a guy get a car back, and let's be honest a lime green fiesta isn't that common, not in that colour.

If the boot was on the other foot fox, and your BMW was stolen... Wouldn't you want to try and track it down and just ask a few people from around your local area to just keep an eye out in case?

You are right that it's in his best interest to not get his car back, and to be fair who wants a car back after it's been stolen?! But what's the harm in asking around to see if it's been spotted... If it gets found and it leads to an arrest, or something similar. Then surely it's worth spending two minutes posting it on an internet forum?!

Man of Honour
If the boot was on the other foot fox, and your BMW was stolen... Wouldn't you want to try and track it down and just ask a few people from around your local area to just keep an eye out in case?

I was just wondering if somebody would ask that, and I log back in to find somebody has.

It's totally different but I'll answer.

Yes, I would want to track it down and I'd want it back. But thats because my car is worth considerably less in terms of financial value than it is to me. There is no way I could replace it with another half as good for the money I'd get from the insurance company. Unless I got the car back, I'd be considerably worse off. I've put years of my time and effort into the car, in addition to this. It has huge sentimental value - exactly the same as the unique and modified cars I describe in my earlier posts.

Lets change the question a bit and and assume I actually have a 10 plate F10 535i, a car many of you know I'd do anything to own. Now its been nicked.

Would I want it back?

Absolutely not - it's a few month old car. I've put no time or effort into it yet because its too new, and my insurance company would replace it with a brand new replacement car to the same specification. I would be no worse off, infact, I would be better off - as I'd end up with a newer car.

Surely you can see my point?

It's pointless asking people on the internet to keep a look out for a new Fiesta diesel. And even if they did find it - you would be a fool to want it back! How are we supposed to spot it anyway? It has nothing to set it aside from any other Econetic Fiesta, its even on the stock steel wheels. There are loads of them because its a popular entry level company car. We could drive past and never even know it was the nicked one.

It's absolutely not the same as when somebodies modified pride or joy or classic or car they've owned for years goes astray.

It would be like trying to get people to track down your fridge freezer if it got nicked. Why bother? Just get the insurance company to give you a new one!

Man of Honour
Unfortunately he doesn't have any photos of the car, but I do now know that the car was of base Econetic trim without Alloys.

Not even alloys :(

I die a bit inside when I see another Fiesta with wheel trims, or even worse, ones that have come off! :eek: :p

Don
I agree with you in the vast majority Fox, as per:

"You are right that it's in his best interest to not get his car back, and to be fair who wants a car back after it's been stolen?! But what's the harm in asking around to see if it's been spotted... If it gets found and it leads to an arrest, or something similar. Then surely it's worth spending two minutes posting it on an internet forum?! "

However, what's the harm in trying to help someone get their car back, which they have asked a friend to raise awareness about. Yes it's probably best that he doesn't get the car, but surely there's no harm i nasking...

However, I suppose by you arguing with people and putting your point across is keeping this thread bumped, so it's serving it's purpose ;)

Back
Top Bottom