Dell Streak Upgrade

Associate
i've been looking at the dell streak just as the partner has gone the iphone route and i fancied a change, i been looking around and everyone says that there will be an update from 1.6 soon but no-one gives a date, anyone got an ideas ?

Associate
Rumour is now they will skip 2.1 and go straight to 2.2. I would buy one in a heartbeat but I would want at least 2.1
Release date from Dell, anyones guess, then probably longer for an 02 version.

Associate
OP
Having a further scoot around there is a 2.1 update that is about doubt it's an offical update but might be worth looking in to. Think I will order one and if I think android isn't as functional as iPhone/ipad I can always swap with the other half

Man of Honour
It's a huge brick, its a nice handset but its just to big to be used for a mobile phone. Changing your phone because your partner has gone the iPhone route seems a bit strange, I doubt he will mind if you have the same phone as him :p

Go for the iPhone or something like a HTC Desire.

Associate
[TW]Fox;17257963 said:
It's a huge brick, its a nice handset but its just to big to be used for a mobile phone. Changing your phone because your partner has gone the iPhone route seems a bit strange, I doubt he will mind if you have the same phone as him :p

Brick??!?! its more like a slab ;)

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox;17257963 said:

i would be using it more as a tablet than a phone, the misses uses the iphone more as a ipod tbh aswel, i use a BT headset most times to make calls so the size of it didnt put me off, still smaller than an ipad :D

Associate
I handled one today, I didn't realise it was so big. A real monster, impressive screen but maybe a little too big for me.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;17257963 said:

I've gone from an iphone to a streak and the streak is far better than the iphone, better browsing and sound quality, the screen is great and Android seems nicer to use than the iphone OS.

It is not too big to use as a mobile phone and is surprisingly easy to put in your pocket and carry about like the iphone.

Soldato
I've gone from an iphone to a streak and the streak is far better than the iphone, better browsing and sound quality, the screen is great and Android seems nicer to use than the iphone OS.

It is not too big to use as a mobile phone and is surprisingly easy to put in your pocket and carry about like the iphone.

Far better is probably a bit of an exaggeration? It probably excels with two things you mentioned because of the sheer size of the device... which is to be expected.

Personally I'd say it was too big to carry around as a mobile, but I guess it comes down to what type of trousers you wear. Day to day in my work attire, it'd certainly attract attention to the area. :p

Permabanned
Far better is probably a bit of an exaggeration? It probably excels with two things you mentioned because of the sheer size of the device... which is to be expected.

Personally I'd say it was too big to carry around as a mobile, but I guess it comes down to what type of trousers you wear. Day to day in my work attire, it'd certainly attract attention to the area. :p

I get enough attraction to that area anyway:p

But I wear a suit to work so it fits in my jacket pocket just fine. Its ok in my jeans also. Just not the back pocket obviously.

It is definitetly superior to the iphone imo, and I've had 4 iphones. how another android phone compares I cannot say.

Soldato
Just bought one of these on the bay, got a few questions.
It's locked on O2 with the official 2.2 ROM. I'm currently on Three with a few contract months left, but will definitely be switching networks due to no reception at home (away from home I can't fault Three, fast and inexpensive - If they had a Femtocell option i'd jump on it).
What are my options for unlocking? Can it be taken into a shop and done? Online code requests? I've heard that Rebel sim adapters work, but do these keep working when new software updates come out?
Another option is that I just use it as a wifi tablet for now and at the end of my contract I move onto a GiffGaff sim, since these piggyback on O2's network, do they need unlocking?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom