Has anyone been able to get a non-iPhone contract out of Orange for an iPhone?

Soldato
I was speaking to Orange on 450 today and they offered me a pretty good deal, but as soon as I mentioned I need it on a micro sim he said he probably wouldn't be able to do it. He said he asked the sales team and they said no.

Apprently Orange will not, no matter what, give you anything but the iPhone contracts on the iPhone.

I could ask them to send me the normal sim, but I'm not too happy about cutting it as it sometimes doesn't work?

How about if I get the normal sim, stick it in my old phone, go into the orange shop with my iPhone and tell them I've just purchased an iPhone and would like a micro sim? Has anybody tried this?

The cheapest official iPhone contract they offer is £25 pm which has far too many texts and minutes for me, so I'll be wasting a lot of it every month.

I'd like to stick with Orange as they always seem to have the best signal/coverage for me, especially living out here. I actually have Edge coverage in my room which I'm very surprised about considering the closest town to me is 4 miles. Might not sound far, but trust me we live in the middle of nowhere :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Craig.

Last edited:
Associate
Can't you say you bought an iPhone from Apple and want to use your current contract on it? Thus requiring a micro sim and your details transfered to it.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but they might then notice that I have only just opened the contract. The guy on the phone mentioned not being able to do anything like that until the end of the contract (so I'd have to waste a month of minutes/data/texts)?

Has anyone purchased a new phone mid contract? Will they transfer it?

Soldato
I had this exact same problem a week ago. Got myself an iPhone 4 so I phoned Orange to request a micro SIM. Spoke to 5 different people and they just weren't having it, they were adamant that the only way to get a micro SIM was to change to an iPhone contract. I just got myself a rebel sim cutter and chopped down my SIM, works perfect.

Soldato
OP
The one for about £12? Looks quite good, hopefully when I phone back tomorrow I can talk them into giving me the same deal as I was offered. Gutted if I can't, it was a hell of a deal.

Soldato
My Dad's on a normal Orange SIM-only contract for his iPhone. His is a 3GS though (which he bought seperately) so I don't think they know what handset it's in!

I'd just cut it TBH. That's what I did for my iPad when they hadn't been released here, works fine :).

Associate
+ 1 for Rebel Sim Cuttter - cut down BT Mobile Sim a treat.

Plus includes 5 adaptors to convert your new microsim back into a standard one if needed :)

Soldato
OP
Was on the phone to them again this afternoon, but the guy who gave me the original offer didn't note it down on the account and the woman I was talking to couldn't do the same deal - £5 more per month! Meh

Phoning back tomorrow once I've decide what I want as they all seem to offer way too many texts and minutes and not enough data!

I've spent £10 in a week using the phone as if I had a contract, so really do need one, especially considering the amount they charge for data on pay as you go.

I'll go for something tomorrow and order order cutter at the same time.

Soldato
I bought an iphone (sim free) in the apple store. They gave me an orange micro sim because I asked for one.

Then i just rung up orange and told them to move my existing contract (£35 for 1200 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data) across sims. no problem at all.

Associate
Hello, I happen to work for Orange, call 150 and ask to speak with the iphone team and they WILL send you a micro sim free of charge, if you have failed the credit check take out a 30 day rolling contract for 3 months with no late payments and then you will pass the credit check, or pay the 150 deposit which you will have to wait 12 months for it to be returned.

Soldato
Well i'm using an iPhone4 without an iPhone contract?

When I bought it from the Apple shop I told them the deal, they gave me a blank micro SIM and told me to call and ask for a SIM swap.

I dialled 150 and got through to tech support, and told them I wanted to do a SIM swap. Read old number, then new one, and SIM was activated an hour later. Easy peasy.

Soldato
OP
Hello, I happen to work for Orange, call 150 and ask to speak with the iphone team and they WILL send you a micro sim free of charge, if you have failed the credit check take out a 30 day rolling contract for 3 months with no late payments and then you will pass the credit check, or pay the 150 deposit which you will have to wait 12 months for it to be returned.

They wouldn't let me have the 30 day rolling contract.

Well i'm using an iPhone4 without an iPhone contract?

When I bought it from the Apple shop I told them the deal, they gave me a blank micro SIM and told me to call and ask for a SIM swap.

I dialled 150 and got through to tech support, and told them I wanted to do a SIM swap. Read old number, then new one, and SIM was activated an hour later. Easy peasy.

OK, so if I order a free micro sim from Orange (as mentioned above), then get the contract on a new normal sim and phone and ask for a sim swap that should work?

I was told, by Orange, you can't do this kind of stuff during the contract period? I personally don't see why not as you're not changing or cancelling the contract in any way.

Craig.

Associate
They wouldn't let me have the 30 day rolling contract.

OK, so if I order a free micro sim from Orange (as mentioned above), then get the contract on a new normal sim and phone and ask for a sim swap that should work?

I was told, by Orange, you can't do this kind of stuff during the contract period? I personally don't see why not as you're not changing or cancelling the contract in any way.

Craig.

Why didn't they let you get the 30 day rolling contract

Back
Top Bottom