Am I getting too old for PC gaming?

Caporegime
Have a go at Stalker + mods, hours and hours of game time there to be had. Fear (1) is also excellent imo, with a good story line as well.

I found that over the last...say four years...so since 2006, very slowly, there has been less titles that I am looking forward to. It's a mixture of things, preferring to buy when cheaper, becoming fussier with higher expectations, long development cycles etc. I still am as passionate about some of the new games that come out but it isn't like it was four years or more ago when I almost couldn't keep up with current releases. There was always something to play where as now I have periods where apart from CS:S and the odd demo on steam, it's largely mods for older games and replays.

Last edited:
Soldato
Crysis was a real let down in terms of gameplay, if you want a good imersive fps, then mw2 or fear 2 are far superior, for single player, albeit more linear. I also really enjoyed bioshock 2, but didn't get on with the first one.

Batman arkham asylum is also a superb game. Everyone should be made to play it.

If you like rts, ive been playing star craft 2, which is the best rts since red alert 2. I'm not fully sold on it though, I'm much looking forward to civ5, as civilisation4 was utterly awesome.

I'm 32 by the way, and also struggle to find games I get on with.

Bad company 2 however, is the business for online fps, its easily as good as bf2, bit mote refined with better graphics. Well worth a look.

Soldato
OP
Have a go at Stalker + ...

Sold my GTX 460 today so am stuck with onboard 4250 until I decide what cheap card (if any) to get.

I actually wasn't that blown away by Crysis's graphics either. I thought Call Of Duty 4 was better in gameplay and graphics.

I might try Rome Total War and similar games in the future.

Also, can anyone remember a game that was like micro machines but had bumps and jumps that you had to jump over. It was sort of played from a birds eye/overhead view and was possibly motor cross or similar.

Last edited:
Soldato
Age has nothin to do with it, my friends dad is in his 60s and plays like a maniac on Wii, PS3 and PC! He devours games like they are going outta fashion.

I see a lot of this "am I too old" flyin around. Youre never too old dude :)

I think you just need to stumble upon the right kinda game, others have given good suggestions. I TOALLY agree on the Stalker series....in fact I just loaded up the very first one Stalker SSOC and modded the living the crap out of it! The 2009 mod is a MUST HAVE. Im gonna email those guys to say massive thank you. It utterly blings the game. The game has no native AA support but somehow this mod smooths it all out...dang it looks like it was released this year!!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm just downloading the Civ 4 demo to see how I get on with it. I'm sure I played the demo before and gave up with it after a short time. I may buy Civ 4 if I like the demo and possibly Civ 5 at a later date.

Soldato
OP
I'm just downloading the Civ 4 demo to see how I get on with it. I'm sure I played the demo before and gave up with it after a short time. I may buy Civ 4 if I like the demo and possibly Civ 5 at a later date.

I've given up after 10 minutes of the tutorial. Is there nothing a bit more modern day? Is Sim City any good?

Soldato
I'm pretty bored of games, nearly sell my pc at least once a month lol... when I'm working again it's being sold for an iMac then going to go do real life activities and spend my money on holidays and not £350 graphics cards :/

I'm 27...

Soldato
I have to say my appetite for gaming isn't what is used to be, I'm 29 and the fiarier sex take up more of my time now.

I'm also highly critical of newer games, I slaughtered Bioshock when it came out, it got glowing reviews but I really couldn't stand the game the same goes for Assassins Creed (very repetitive and take half an hour to exit out the game). I also find myself posting messages on forums say how much better games were back in my day and today games are to short and lack depth.

Despite my cynicism I do play the occasional gem, Mass Effect, The Witcher, COD4 MW (MP) and Fallout 3 have all impressed me and would happily play them again. I also think my taste in games has changed, in years gone by I like FPS’s like Quake and Unreal and RTS’s but now I prefer RPG’s as I get more satisfaction from them (never mind the fact RPG’s are much better value for money then FPS’s). However no matter how much my tastes may have changed I will be buying Half Life 2 EP3 when it eventually gets out door!

zer

zer

Associate
I am 42 and still try to find time to game... I really appreciate the fact that i now have enough money to upgrade my PC whenever i like,to follow the new game requirements! I havn't noticed any degrade im my reflexes but when Prince of Persia makes an incredible jump, or when water flow timedwindles dangerously i feel my heart twiching and jumping/ stopping...
I know, i know ....I should go see a doctor:)

Associate
46 and there's fewer and fewer and games to play. Mostly on BC2 now but nothing has come close to HL2 for a long time. ETQW worth a mention though.

Associate
39 and had a wee rest from the xbox, getting back into COD2 MW on third prestige now. Just waiting for the new one to come out :) However keep getting this urge to resurrect my wee Lock on WoW :p he's been retired for a year !

Associate
52 - and haven't bought a game since BBC2 which was great for a while but got relatively quickly bored. I know I am no where as good as I once was and I hate being beaten or rather stuffed.

Soldato
I love Zombie killing games, a the moment killing floor im playing quite a lot. nothing more better than blasting zombies or watching a fellow comrade get killed by a fleshpounder, but games over the last couple of years have slowly been delayed or taking longer to build due to demand on graphical performance and size of levels and gameplay.

My dad is 58 and he's also finding it frustrating the lack of FPS games.
iv'e actually agreed to build a small game for him using HL2 Hammer, it's taking me 2 months to build 2 levels, it is abit time consuming but the accomplishment of adding your own detail into the level and seeing the finished product is awsome.

Associate
my problem with gmain now is there are less and less thinking fps' (i loathe rts) like splintercell pandora tomorrow. that game completley changed my outlook on what fun was. all about outsmartning your opponent. the battlefields have an element of this but not all that much. i just want a game where thinking takes precedence over twitch

Back
Top Bottom