DL380 G5 silent fans?

Associate
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of consolodating my server setup onto a rack mount DL380 G5 using ESXi. The server lives in my datacentre (read cupboard under the stairs) and is therefore within earshot of the rest of the house. Therein lies the problem, the little whiners installed make a racket which can be heard throughout the downstairs. It doesn't appear to to be the DL 'fans runnning at 100%' problem as ILO is reporting speeds of between 30 and 55 percent.

Solutions I can think of
1) Run the system with only the PSU and CPU fans running, the server isn't racked so does have reasonable airflow
2) Reduce fan speed permenantly, I am using the HP ESXi distro so have the CIM WBEM providers installed - any idea of how to do this through ILO or insight manager?
3) Has anyone come accross replacement fans for these systems which run siltently?
4) Is it possible to rehouse the internal components in a seperate, tower case and add a few large, slow spinners rather than the little whiners?

Any input gratefully received, apologies for all the questions!

Cheers,
Jamie

Associate
The G6 fans are dead quiet, I've had them running on my desk in the office while building them without causing a stir

Maybe you could fit G6 fans to them? Assuming it is the fans that are keeping it quiet and not some clever low speed fan turning malarky

Back
Top Bottom