20" -> 23" will I notice?

Associate
Hi,

I currently have a Dell 2007WFP monitor, which I love. However, I've recently been thinking that it is time to upgrade the resolution. I remember when I bought the Dell that I paid a premium because of the quality of the panel (I believe it was an IPS panel?). Because of this, I dont think I'll be able to go back to a non-IPS panel!!

I have been looking at the Dell U2311h and it certainly gets good reviews, but would I really notice a measly 3 inches?? Is it worth the extra ~£200 for the 24" version? It will mainly be used for gaming but I do a bit of web design so I want my colours to be accurate (although this is a hobby and does by no means require a professional level of calibration)

I think what I am after is someone to say "yes you will notice the difference", and in which case I will stop fannying around and buy one!

Soldato
Yes you will notice the differeance the 2311H is a lovely screen ,i have a friend who uses one ,and i watched a dvd on it a few weeks ago ,and it blew me away ! so much so that it is top of my 23 inch screens ,maybe others will say i,m wrong ,but not many :)

Associate
OP
Yeah dont get me wrong, would love the 24", just cant justify the costs right now, its a big jump up from the 23". I'd still rather put money into the IPS panel than a 27" screen though... even if I was tempted for a second :p

Soldato
It may sound like a 3 in increase is pretty tiny, however in terms of monitor size, you are not just increasing the size by 3/20ths- it is in fact much more than this. For example, if you doubled the diagonal size to a 40 in monitor - it would not be twice as big, in terms of viewable area it will be four times as big.

Similarly, going from a 20in 16:10 monitor to a 23in 16:9 monitor is an increase in viewable area from 1160cm^2 to 1458cm^2. Which by my maths is a 25% increase in viewable area.

Also, the resolution is increased - so more will fit on the screen at one time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went from 19 to 22 a while ago and find it a great improvement :) Really want more real estate though, feel a 24 or 27 coming on within a few years :)

Associate
Again, that is 25% increase in viewable area.

On top of that you will be upgrading from a TN panel to a H-IPS panel.

IMHO a very worthwhile upgrade if you can afford it.

Is the U2410 satisfactory for gaming? I've only ever used TN panels with a 2-3MS, I've read up a little on the definition of response times and input lag, it appears that it would be fine without noticing any ghosting.

Associate
I suppose the last question would be, with my current spec of a GTX275 OC'ed most things at 1680x1050 at VH settings will run around 40-60FPS, will it still be adequate with 1980x1200?

Soldato
Aye, with a GTX 275 you should be fine. You may need to turn down the settings a little to achieve those framerates - but overall it will look better and more immersive than before due to the larger resolution, larger size and better quality panel.

Associate
I've read some recent customer reviews on the U2410, it seems that the colour issue with one side showing as a blue and another showing slightly pink is still present. Does anyone know if there's been some revisions of the monitor to sort this issue out? Like A01 or A02?

Back
Top Bottom