Chargeable Download Content

Permabanned
I'm not really sure what wave of arrogance you're riding here but how can more and more developers releasing less content with a game to sell things that either should've been there in the first place or already were and merely get unlocked not be connected to DLC? Sure its not unheard of in the past but releasing an expansion was still considerably more effort than a DLC and doing so was probably more down to the dev/publisher being crap, not greedy.

Bioshock 2 has the DLC on the actual Disc.

Mafia 2 DLC is being released 2 weeks after the full game has been released and there are posts floating about which are saying some of this DLC can be unlocked from the already installed game ie its already on the disc.

Kane and Lynch 2 has only been out for 3 or so weeks and already there is DLC.

You dont have to be Einstein to work out that these devs have purposely held back part of the game to sell as DLC.
I really can't beleive how much difficulty you two are having in understanding what Spektor is saying.

He's saying that just because there is crap DLC, and DLC that is clearly cut out of a game, just to be sold a few weeks later, that that is the definition of all DLC.

Or, why are you trying to define DLC by only the bad examples you can think of? Would you define PC games by the worst examples you can find? I'd guess not.

Bioshock 2 DLC was a sham, MW2 DLC was a sham, but arguably, MW2 as a game was/is a sham. But, DLC is simply what expansions packs were, except they're cheaper and contain less content at times.

If we be extremely selective of what we use to define DLC, then you can make it look how you want, if I pretended Borderlands was the only definition of how to do DLC, then I could argue that it's great, because Borderlands DLC is extremely good and definitely good value for money.

Bioshock 2, Mafia 2, and MW2 are just examples of greed. Borderlands however, is genuine post release content. They released the game with mixed feelings on how it would fare, and they were that surprised by its success that they continued to support it. It's not really an issue that they are making additional monies on the game, the content is more than worth it, and I know I'd prefer DLC every few months, than to wait a year for an expansion.

With Borderlands, for me, it was nice to have some new content to freshen the game up after a few months, you can tell they've put effort in, and that it's not just a key to unlock the content already supplied with the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I really can't beleive how much difficulty you two are having in understanding what Spektor is saying.

I cant beleive how much difficulty you are having understanding what we are saying.

No one is slating all devs/publishers. What we are saying is that there seems to be a move towards this practice by certain companies in the gaming industry. If we fast forward 5 years would payable DLC on games be the norm? ie we pay full price for a game and with in 2 weeks payable DLC is released for another £10 which we should have got with the full game. Add to this the DLC is already included on the disc we already paid for. The reasons why Bioshock and Mafia are mentioned are that 2k seems to like this method of DLC.

If you go back 5 years having payable DLC would be virtually unheard of on the pc.

If you are happy to pay for 80% of a game and then a further sum of cash for the rest of the game then great. I for one am not happy with doing this and see this type of DLC as pure greed and a con.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I can't beleive how much difficulty you are having understanding what we are saying.

No one is slating all devs/publishers. What we are saying is that there seems to be a move towards this practice by certain companies in the gaming industry. If we fast forward 5 years would payable DLC on games be the norm. ie we pay full price for a game and with in 2 weeks payable DLC is out to buy for another £10 which we should have got with the full game and is included on the disc we already paid for. The reasons why Bioshock and Mafia are mentioned are that 2k seems to like this method of DLC.

If you go back 5 years having payable DLC would be virtually unheard of on the pc.

If you are happy to pay for 80% of a game and then a further sum of cash for the rest of the game then great. I for one am not happy with doing this and see DLC like this as pure greed and a con.

"Payable" DLC wasn't heard of on PC 5 years ago, no, but expansions were, and you don't see them all too often now do you? As I said, DLC is now what expansions were 5 years ago. Map packs and the like don't really count, they really are just excuses to sell stuff.

Think about expansion packs now that have no retail/boxed copies, they're basically "DLC". It is content that you download, it's just the method of delivery. To say imply that it's wrong because there are free "DLCs" going around is looking at the delivery method as a reference.

That's why I said I can't beleive how hard you're finding it to understand, you keep going on about unfinnished games, as if that's the definition of DLC. If you've got a problem with devs making unfinished games, then selling you the stuff they cut out a few weeks later, then yeah, I totally get that, but let's not pretend that's how the "world of DLC" is.

Surely, even "free DLC" should bother you? What with them "Only making 80% of the game for release, selling you an unfinished game"?

Also, you say 2K, let's not forget they're the publisher, not the developer, Borderlands was also published by 2K, yet is a perfect example of how DLC should be.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
"Payable" DLC wasn't heard of on PC 5 years ago, no, but expansions were, and you don't see them all too often now do you? As I said, DLC is now what expansions were 5 years ago. Map packs and the like don't really count, they really are just excuses to sell stuff.

Think about expansion packs now that have no retail/boxed copies, they're basically "DLC". It is content that you download, it's just the method of delivery. To say imply that it's wrong because there are free "DLCs" going around is looking at the delivery method as a reference.

I totally understand what you are saying with regards to how the content is delivered. As I have said I have no issues with expansion packs and allot of the DLC. I do have an issue with games which are short and then the devs/publishers release the content I should have had for extra cash 2 weeks later which is already on my disc.

Last edited:
Soldato

He's saying that just because there is crap DLC, and DLC that is clearly cut out of a game, just to be sold a few weeks later, that that is the definition of all DLC.

Or, why are you trying to define DLC by only the bad examples you can think of? Would you define PC games by the worst examples you can find? I'd guess not.

Bioshock 2 DLC was a sham, MW2 DLC was a sham, but arguably, MW2 as a game was/is a sham. But, DLC is simply what expansions packs were, except they're cheaper and contain less content at times.

If we be extremely selective of what we use to define DLC, then you can make it look how you want, if I pretended Borderlands was the only definition of how to do DLC, then I could argue that it's great, because Borderlands DLC is extremely good and definitely good value for money.

Bioshock 2, Mafia 2, and MW2 are just examples of greed. Borderlands however, is genuine post release content. They released the game with mixed feelings on how it would fare, and they were that surprised by its success that they continued to support it. It's not really an issue that they are making additional monies on the game, the content is more than worth it, and I know I'd prefer DLC every few months, than to wait a year for an expansion.

With Borderlands, for me, it was nice to have some new content to freshen the game up after a few months, you can tell they've put effort in, and that it's not just a key to unlock the content already supplied with the game.

I never said this is what all DLC is. I'm saying this seems to be the increasing trend. Its not so much the case with smaller devs who tend to be realistic. Its the big devs that are doing it more and more.

Soldato
Wait for gold editions or game of the year editions.

It is what I am doing with ME2, I want to play the game but know there will likely be a pack load of stuff to plugin, so just going to wait a few months for either a decent steam sale, or aGOTY version.

Soldato
Just a thought, but MMOs are slowly seeming to move towards a micropayment system, which in a way is similar to miniDLCs released regularly, drip feeding the game. With a MMO I can understand it, with single player slightly less so.

Soldato
Blizzard have joined the bandwagon since being bought by activision.

In world of warcraft you can buy a few ingame pets for £9 each and a mount for £17.

The online price of starcraft 2 via digital distribution directly from blizzard is £45, 10 pound more expensive than any retail shop lol.

Adding to this, SC2 was also a lot larger than it was in its released state as activision made them split it into 3 seperate parts to milk the cash cow even more. At £35 each thats a nice £105 you'd have to spend to play the game blizzard actually made for 1/3 of that originally.

Thats winds me up without even getting to the MW2 dlc at £11 each meaning you spend atleast £52 on a pc game by the time your finished to play it online properly lol.

Soldato
Reminds me of sim city 4 and EA. The expansion pack was released almost the same time as the game? It had things you actually needed for a city lol

Associate
Hate DLC with a passion, in my opinion all it does is tick people off and push them to piracy.
And i noticed on a lot of multiplayer games on consoles with map packs all it does is segregate the community for that title.

DLC *Spits*

Soldato
DLC has it's ups and downs. DLC already on the disc is a big no no in my book. And yer, milking the community over map packs is stupid. But then look at it the other way. IMO the Borderlands DLC has been terrific, and most of the Burnout stuff (a whole years worth of support) really added to the game. I would even say that the stupid bonuses for Just Cause 2 were good because they were stupidly cheap.

If done properly and for the right price, DLC can really add to a game (just like expansion packs use to) and continue the story or breathe some fresh life into a game. However, do it wrong and you will upset your own community and shoot yourselves in the foot.

Soldato
Blizzard have joined the bandwagon since being bought by activision.

In world of warcraft you can buy a few ingame pets for £9 each and a mount for £17.

Meh, the premium WoW stuff is obvious. I have no problem with that, if idiots want to buy it in some pitiful attempt to show off then let them. Its not like they're offering things that effect the character.

Permabanned
Armed Assault 2 has just had some dlc released

British Armed Forces

You can play with the content for free in multiplayer, but the player textures are low resolution (gamecube style)...I think Bohemia have done us proud.

Associate
Another 'bad' example is this upcoming one:

Black Bean Games announced that new DLC is on the way for the Xbox 360, PC and PS3 FIA rally game. The new content will be a car pack containing old-school racing vehicles from the 80s.

As stated in the press release…

An additional cars package features some of the most glorious and iconic models of the eighties, from the legendary Group B era. Group B cars were the dominant force in the FIA World Rally Championship between 1982 and 1987 and the add-on pack will be downloadable from October 8th 2010, the date of the game’s release.

In the good old days, this would be a selling point of the game itself. Now, it's chargeable and more likely to make me not bother with the game.

Back
Top Bottom