• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 vs 480

Soldato
i cant wait any longer :) i've been waiting to buy a new graphics card for over a year! my current card is a 7600 gt on an i7 920!!! my resolution is 1680x1050. main games... none yet because i cant play anything on that 7600 gt! when i'll get the card i'll buy metro 2033 and battlefield bad company 2.

Get the 480 and anyone who suggests it is overkill for your rez, ignore they are wrong, especially where BC2 and metro is concerned.

Associate
Get the 480 and anyone who suggests it is overkill for your rez, ignore they are wrong, especially where BC2 and metro is concerned.

For metro i'd agree, but you don't need anything like a 480 to run BC2 a 5850 is more then enough for that game at that res.

Last edited:
Soldato
For metro i'd agree, but you don't need anything like a 480 to run BC2.

Disagree max out BC2 " 8xAA " and you're never going to be comfortably over 60 FPS on populated maps with **** flying everywhere, it will dip below 40 and even 30 FPS in them hardcore moments. The main reason I buy an expensive GPU is to max out IQ as much as possible, to say a card is to much for a rez when it's barely doing 50 fps with max IQ is just stupid IMO. Future demanding DX11 titles like crysis 2 will kill a 460 at 1680, therefor why take it over a 480..

Soldato
Check this out, I guess you're not maxing out the eye candy,...

I can only speak from my own experience but in the below system I cannot get bf2 under 60fps.

And yeah it's Bad company 2 not battlefield 2..:p

zzzzzzzpb.jpg

Soldato
^^ I have done fraps fps benchmarking in games like GTA4, crysis, just cause 2 metro 2033, arma 2 with maxed IQ, guess what, the only game that even slightly managed fps above 50 was just cause 2 and even then it had dips to 30 fps, this with an overcloked 480 at 850 core, a 480 is not overkill for 1680, go 460 if you prefer to turn down IQ settings a lot.

Associate
I have a 470 and BC2 seems to be pretty stable around the 60fps mark, however when you have lots of action going on and your looking over a large portion of the map, with people running around, i'm pretty sure there is some frame rate fluctations, they may only be very minor but they are there

Personally i do like to have game settings on high, but the thing i desire most is nice smooth and stable framerate, even in the more demanding sections, which is why i tend to go no further than 4x AA, and game at 1680 x 1050

It's all down to preferance really, but i dont think as far as single card solutions go, there is such a thing as overkill, most of todays demanding games do get frame rate fluctations during more intense sequences even on powerful cards, the main adv of having a top spec card is these fluctations are less noticable and less frequent

Soldato
You have very special 5850 then because according to the benchmarks I posted with only 4 x aa and not 8 x you should be dipping below 60 fps on many an occasion.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 470 and BC2 seems to be pretty stable around the 60fps mark, however when you have lots of action going on and your looking over a large portion of the map, with people running around, i'm pretty sure there is some frame rate fluctations, they may only be very minor but they are there

Personally i do like to have game settings on high, but the thing i desire most is nice smooth and stable framerate, even in the more demanding sections, which is why i tend to go no further than 4x AA, and game at 1680 x 1050

It's all down to preferance really, but i dont think as far as single card solutions go, there is such a thing as overkill, most of todays demanding games do get frame rate fluctations during more intense sequences even on powerful cards, the main adv of having a top spec card is these fluctations are less noticable and less frequent

This.

Back
Top Bottom