• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nVidia drops the price of GTX460 AGAIN!!!!

Caporegime
Did you miss the part where it's only the 460 768 thats been cut in price becuase no one is buying them, I don't see the 1GB going down in price, in fact it's going up. If it's not selling of course they are going to knock the price down. As of now the 768 model is £145 so plenty of room for Nvidia to price the lower cards in. kitguru is a trash site anyway, they report crap.

Who says the lower end NVidia parts are going to come in at £120, could be £100-£120 even less.

Did you miss the part where TWICE its been explained for you?

THe 460gtx 768mb version, its currently £144, if its dropping in price, its going to be moving into the pricing territory of the soon to be released GTS450 and GTS455.

Ok try and understand this because you've ignored it and had a go at people for missing the point twice, while ignoring it yourself.

Its very odd to move a GTX460 768MB down to between £130-135, when the GTS450/455 will need to be priced at £120-135 to make a profit.

Okay, lets try another example, it would be strange for AMD to price the 5830, at £120 when it beats a 5770 easily and would be priced the same, why would you do so? It would be odd for Nvidia to move the 480gtx price to £180, because it would kill 460gtx 1gb sales, its ALWAYS odd to drop the price of ANY product to the point it interferes with sales at the lower point.

Kitguru and I did not mention and were not talking about the GTX460, how can you miss such an obvious point, twice?

WHy would their new cards be under £100, the cores are significantly bigger thana 5770's, they'll want to make some profit.

THe gtx460 768mb is £145 so they have plenty of room to reduce the price, what on earth? Its a HUGE core, HUGE, its a bigger core than a 5870, its making slim to no profit at £160, they have little to no room to reduce the price.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Take their Dirt 2 benchmark for example, a 480 easily beats out 5870 in this game, I know I have had a 5870, yet they report a 3 fps difference.

82285574.jpg

And now a professionally done benchmark of Dirts 2.

zzzzzzuk.jpg

No 480 but even a 470 beats out a 5870.

Yeah top site, no bull with them.

Just so you know, that review CLAIMS to be using 10.6 drivers(no application profiles) yet gives the EXACT SAME NUMBERS, as their review of the 480gtx 4 months earlier.

Some professional site, other sites you know, RETEST with the latest(or the best) drivers to give a fair comparison, utterly crap sites are lazy and rehash old numbers into new reviews and then CLAIM and lie about what drivers were used.

Any professional site(and they aren't one) will retest with the latest drivers. They didn't bother to retest the 480gtx or anything else either, basically just added the newest card(460gtx) results on the newest drivers vs other games on older drivers. IE Hardware Canucks aren't regarded as a top quality site, and never have been.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30297-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-review-15.html

Link to there 4 month older review March vs July with identical numbers yet claiming to use different drivers, any updates to the game(don't know if there have been any) would have changed the numbers and I'll go ahead and assume the numbers for all the other games are fudged, which is also why things like 460gtx sli seems SO far ahead in certain situations, some AMD and some others.

Horrible review start to finish, dishonest, not even close to professional and in no way could anyone take those results for granted.

This is ignoring the fact you're comparing different settings on top of the fact that, after reading the info right there, a newer patch has improved the performance of the game so the 460gtx results and the sli results are on a new improved performance game, and the older drivers are on a different version.

This is ignoring how dodgey Dirt 2 is generally on the web as the demo is often used which generally won't enabled dx11 on 4xx series cards, on top of from what I recall, non consistant benchmarking results due to the way the benchmark runs.

So pick the single worst game to benchmark, vs one of the least professional and most lazy websites, and compare different settings, with different results from various versions of the game to boot.

Yup, you proved a whole heck of a lot there.

Soldato

Trash site kitguru says it's dropping to £130, oh well guess it must be true then ...not, they noticed that retail price of 460 768 has gone down and then post some bull how they think it will drop further..

Please you have no inside knowledge of what nvidia makes or losses on cores so don't pretend you do.

Regarding canucks, best review site on the net. They state they use the full game because the demo is dodgy, and I did my own comparison which is way more in line with canucks review than guru.

You go about canucks using old benchmarks to compare, guess what every site I know do it that way, yes even andandtech lol. But with canucks, Dirt2 is the one exception AFAIK, BC2 benchmark reviews vary over the months with all cards on canucks and they should because that is one game where there is no built in benchmark so a fraps run is needed, obviously the pros at anandtech do not see this as necessary.

on 7/11/2010 11:54:00 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king/11

ghggf.jpg

3/26/2010 7:00:00 PM

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...x-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/14

ppppz.jpg

;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Raven, your posts are utter crap, you know that?

The Test

For our test we are using NVIDIA’s latest 256-series drivers, currently at version 258.80. As far as performance goes these drivers are virtually identical to earlier 256-series drivers on the GTX 400 series, so performance has not significantly changed since the launch of the drivers alongside the GTX 465. As the 256-series drivers did improve performance across a number of games for the GTX 480 and GTX 470, numbers have been updated where applicable.

As for our Radeon cards, we are continuing to use the 10.3a drivers. Radeon 5000 series performance has not changed for the games in our suite since those drivers were released.

Included in our test results are our vendor cards from Asus, Zotac, and EVGA. You can read the full review for those cards in Part 2 of our launch coverage.

For testing the GTX 460 in SLI, we used our 1GB reference card in SLI with Zotac’s 1GB card. This is suitable for performance but not for noise testing. Testing the reference 768MB GTX 460 in SLI was not possible due to the lack of a suitable matching card; however we do have the EVGA GTX 460 768MB SuperClock in SLI.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king/5

Where the **** does AnandTech state they use the latest drivers for comparison?

You must be Canadian to think Hardware Canucks is a trustworthy website. They post enormous amounts of **** and they're benchmarks and comparisons are a joke.

Last edited:
Soldato
lol ^^ no clue, check my BC2 comparison out from anandtech, a 4 month difference when the reviews were done and the exact same results for ATI hardware, so they are using the 10.3 drivers, so what, fact remains they did no re-bench the ATI cards in BC2 even though BC2 has been updated through the months, now jog on.

Ohh look here's canuck BC2 benchmark, looks like they benched every card with up to drivers to me, the way it's meant to be done..

July 21, 2010

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...uperclocked-ee-external-exhaust-review-9.html

9999jo.jpg

March 25, 2010

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...s/30297-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-review-14.html

72857171.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
Wow, think you're rather digging yourself in deeper there Raven, firstly the problem you showed with Anandtech who I've question in regards to accuracy for about a year now as they've gone WAY downhill.

Is they DID retest cards in that test, and you just have to be careful as too see which ones. Oh yes, the 480gtx 49.9 in the first test , 68.7 in the newer one, which also moves it from WAY behind the 5870 to literally a nose hair infront of it.

So they retested EVERY Nvidia card with newer better drivers on an optimized game(likely with the drivers that cause actual stuttering in gameplay but do great in benchmarks).

Yet they used old results for AMD, making them look as bad as possible.

SO what you've done there, is found another site that is using completely and utterly unfair benchmarking and in no way is, and this is the KEY POINT, using the same method for AMD as they are for Nvidia benchmarking.

You did help me put the final nail in the coffin for Anandtech, I was never truly over enamoured with their benchmarking style, 3-4 line graphs followed by the table of results they used for years missing out lots of important info, then more recently in the last couple years sticking mostly to their long list of barcharts, which are irregularly updated, on top of spouting a lot of crap in a lot of reviews.

[H] are much the same, VERY odd apples to oranges benchmarking, complete inability to draw accurate conclusions, highlighted by their 480gtx review, "its a huge power hog, its crazy hot, its loud as hell" "in furmark 480gtx sli barely uses 100W more power, these cards clearly don't use anywhere near the rumoured 300W", next review 470gtx in sli in metro 2033 uses 250W more than a single 470gtx, STILL haven't noticed and still haven't updated their mixup, which is Furmark + sli/xfire = not even close to useful results.

Benchmarking websites in general, aren't particularly good, but at least get it fair, get it right and update ALL the results, its their JOB for gods sake. There ARE sites that rerun ALL tests with updated drivers in new reviews, techpowerup do, and they have issues, Wizzard used the wrong drivers for the, 480 review and got a lot of stick, but he redid it and updated it and said sorry, plus it made for funny April fools "i'm quitting the site" forum antics.

Your argument of "Anandtech did something even worse so Hardware Canucks are fantastic" is flawed in every single way possible.

Infact your other link that shows they did(or at least pretended) to redo results at a date inbetween, and were too lazy to use their latest set of results in a more recent review actually, to me, shows they are even less professional.

At first it was , they were too lazy to update any Nvidia or AMD results, even though they made a flat out lie that they did so. Your second results suggest these professional and accurate people have a newer set of results, and couldn't be bothered to include them, thats WORSE.

If you want to find a 3rd even worse site that skews the results even worse, go ahead.

If you posted your own results and said "x sites results are crap" I wouldn't have given a monkeys, but don't use another set of inaccurate and not remotely trustworthy results to disprove other inaccurate and not trust worthy results.

I'm not saying the ones you're arguing against are right, and that a 5870 is easily faster than a 480gtx or any other nonsense, all I'm saying is using a dodgey site to disprove another dodgey site, doesn't prove anything at all.

If a site happily says, we benched in 10.6's for everything, but found nothing was faster than 10.4's, except BC2 which is horrible on 10.4 and great on 10.6, but for all around performance we thought it was fairest to use 10.3, fine, thats logical, makes sense and if they do that, using the uber fast 10.6 in just BC2 to give a comparison would also be fair.

But when a site simply claims to use driver X, and its lied, or when it updates all results that go up almost 50% on one set of cards, and not update the results for another set of cards, its just rubbish, utterly rubbish.

Heres a hint, I used to do hardware reviews, its INCREDILY difficult to do fairly, it means the person doing it has to know EVERY single tweak, trick and be able to identify a problem even if the results don't obviously point to something. Its also very difficult to know what game is faster on what driver, when, with which tweak, and with which setting. Its a minefield, but the way to do it is, be fair, be HONEST and tell the person reading what you've done, when you fail to do those three things the review literally is worthless. if HC SAID they used their old AMD results, because they no longer have the card, or didn't have time as they only got the Nvidia card in a day before the review was due, that would let you know why the possible discrepancy, in the HC review its why the 460gtx looks truly fantastic compared to the 480gtx, when in reality its no where near as close as the review suggests.

However again if they TOLD the reader they had old results and even updated the results later on with new results for older/main amd/nvidia cards, again it gives you an idea of what the results mean. Lying, immediately invalidates everything they say. Anandtech updating results that give a 50% performance boost to Nvidia cards only and do not update AMD results is pretty bad, but they EXPLAIN this saying they see no performance improvement over 10.3a, in the link Krugga gives you it shows this, in the review.

Although personally I don't think thats an accurate statement at all. They also missed the fairly obvious problem of, the driver may not have improved, but the game may have improved with a patch since then. Its very hard to keep up to date, but Anandtech should really be using either the latest driver at that point, or at least showing it in ONE benchmark with the same results to prove they aren't any better. Though if they do perform the same theres really very little reason not to update them anyway, its very lazy on their side.

EDIT:- Just for the funny I'll point out that, Nvidia, 49fps on older drivers, 68 fps on newer ones, still only just beats the 5870 it costs significantly more than, Nvidia drivers, just work, especially as getting the performance the card should have, apparently makes the game stutter........ Its funny, as more people buy Nvidia cards, the forum has been full of Nvidia problems the last couple weeks........ really strange how that happens, even more so for a company whose drivers have no problems.

Nvidia's own forums have FAR more people with FAR more problems than AMD's forums for the record.

Last edited:
Soldato
Only bad because they fail to tell you, and make out that product X is the best thing since sliced bread, when it's not in reality.

Also, you said about how is it disprove/prove etc. It works by posting those reviews if people believe them, regardless of you posting to the contrary. People are more likely to believe sites than some random guy on a forum dm. I agree with you btw, but that is reality :(

Soldato
Well my top review sites are canucks, driver heaven, h**us, techpowerup and techspot in that order, with canucks I have compared my results with the majority of theirs and I find them to be highly accurate and that's how I judge if a site is worthy or not.

I think HC made an error with the review you pointed out as later reviews all have updated results for ATI cards, so being a little to hard on them IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
Gah!! I was thinking of getting one... Now I have the option of getting it now and then feeling ripped off, or waiting a whole month or so for the price cuts to filter down and getting it for a mere £10-15 less than I'd get it now! Nvidia sure know a thing or two about aggravating us with kindness... :mad:

Does anyone know if Visa's buyer protection would apply to this? If the price drops within a month, can I claim the difference from my bank?

Soldato
Everyone has there favorite sites, and to be fair to Raven, if results were tallying up with his, I'd be inclined to trust the site as well. Where it falls over is how they treat the 'other' cards in the test as mentioned.

TBH I've not been that suspect of review sites before now! but basically do an average of those I look at, and user reviews.

Back
Top Bottom