• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

might get another 460gtx. But can i run it?

Associate
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/15

a lot of reviews say 2 cards in SLI run at 433 watts. I have a 700 watt power supply which is SLI compatible. Will need a few molex to PCIe connectors but thats not a problem.

I have a Core i5, 4gb DDR 3, 1 HD, 1 blueray drive and a 460gtx. Nothing is overclocked.

Would i have enough room to spare?

I read reviews on my core i5 750. Max power consumption is 435 watts. If my maths is correct 435 + 433 = 868. But graphics cards and processors when playing games dont under go 100% stress? i run at 1920x1080 and sometimes in 3d (what i need the 2nd card for as some games like oblivion, metro 2033. BC2 which take a pounding when i press the little green button)

Soldato
According to AnandTech, a system with GTX460SLI power consumption peak at 528W in furmark (bare in mind that almost no real world gaming is as demanding as furmark):
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/181

So let's 'assume' overclocking the CPU and the cards increase power consumption by...let say 100W (most likely won't even be that high), it's still just 628W, so there's still plenty of headroom left on your OCZ 700W :D

Soldato
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/15

a lot of reviews say 2 cards in SLI run at 433 watts. I have a 700 watt power supply which is SLI compatible. Will need a few molex to PCIe connectors but thats not a problem.

I have a Core i5, 4gb DDR 3, 1 HD, 1 blueray drive and a 460gtx. Nothing is overclocked.

Would i have enough room to spare?

I read reviews on my core i5 750. Max power consumption is 435 watts. If my maths is correct 435 + 433 = 868. But graphics cards and processors when playing games dont under go 100% stress? i run at 1920x1080 and sometimes in 3d (what i need the 2nd card for as some games like oblivion, metro 2033. BC2 which take a pounding when i press the little green button)

Core i5 power consumption =/ system power consumption and that's what you're referring to.

Overclocking it with high voltage will increase power consumption significantly but it's nowhere close to what you think. Core i5 paired with a mainstream graphics takes up to 160W under full load at stock, overclocked to 4GHz will use no more than 240W. It's meaningless though as you'll never be able to measure power consumption of specific components without comparing them to lower end parts. Nonetheless you can safely use Anandtech Bench data to assume total power consumption as they use an i7 920 overclocked to 3.33GHz, that will use similar amount of power to an i5 overclocked to 4GHz (with hefty voltage increase).

530W under load in Furmark isn't relevant to real-world power consumption but may be a good peak usage indicator. Even then you have to bear in mind that Furmark uses only a single core of the CPU, meaning that you only stress graphics cards to they're maximum in this test. If you were to run Furmark and prime95 simultaneously, you would have experienced even higher power consumption. Also, the tests are done with stock cards, you'll have to include a safety margin for overclocking. When you start increasing voltages, you can easily reach any limits possible. 460s don't need that much power though and you'd be safe with a quality 650W PSU for this setup.

With that said, your PSU will be fine regardless of circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom