PHP Frameworks

Associate
I've been looking at using Code Igniter and CakePHP over the past week; has anyone got any other recommendations? Preferably with some evidence to back up the claims that one is better than the other :p

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Kohana is very nice and fairly easy to use. You do need PHP 5 to run the latest version though. I was comparing it to CodeIgniter and Kohana always seemed better. The documentation was (when I used it) not as full as CodeIgniter but their forums are quite helpful.

If you are searching around for Kohana make sure it mentions Kohana v3 because I think a lot of it was rewritten from v2 and most of the older information you find on it it will be about v2.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/717836/kohana-or-codeigniter

Associate
I would not recommend Kohana for beginners as the documentation and community is thin. Learn Codeigniter first and when you are comfortable with that, move to Kohana.

Associate
I really enjoy using Codeigniter, I looked at Kohana but I echo others people statements and the documentation is not as good as Codeigniter.

Associate
Have a look at Yii.

After reading up on frameworks I decided to use Codeigniter but after a bit more research I then intended to use Kohana v3 as it's based on PHP5 rather than PHP4, but when I started using it I found the lack of documentation a problem.
I then switched to Yii and found the documentation and guides to be pretty good, and any questions that came up had already been answered on the forums.

There's definatley a learning curve if you're coming from raw PHP into the MVC and OOP world.

Yii seems particulary good for database heavy apps as it has code generation for a lot of the repetative admin backend stuff.

Back
Top Bottom