How do PCs earth

I am tempted to try to rebuild my PC into my desk/bookcase combi unit, Ive got some ideas on how it could work, but the thing I am unsure on is how PCs actually earth.

E.g are the motherboard standoffs part of that earthing, being copper and mating to a silvery area on the mobo makes me think they are. So if they are in effect making the whole case part of the earth is that actually required or is it redundancy or to actually earth the case and not for any particular reason related to the PC itself.

I am assuming basically all the earth is done via the same cables that provide the power and that in effect the main mobo connectors handle the earthing of the mobo, processor, disk drives etc, and that the 6 pin cables do the earthing of the graphics cards themselves.

So assuming all this I could take each component and assemble outside a PC case. Things like power switches could be mounted in say the desktop and the HDD leds etc are optional, but could equally be mounted elsewhere.

Associate
Earth

I believe that PC's are the only electrical equipment to constantly leak electricity through the earth by design. Something I picked up on a PAT testing course. This earths everything that requires earthing.

Back
Top Bottom