Off to Dubai......any tips or recommendations.....

Soldato
Sorry to downer your holiday but i was working there for a week a few months ago and it wasn't great. Stayed in the jumeirah emirates towers whilst working for them.

Imagine loads of western shops, run by philippino's and filled with arab and western customers and that's pretty much it.

Dubai mall was okay, was part of the behind the scenes action for this little video as well... although i've no idea how i wangled that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0HHWI-bu9I

Associate
Dont go..........

Don't troll.

OP, hope you have a great time. My father and brother went earlier in the year and had a fantastic time. My uncle lives out there and really enjoys it. Apparently there's some nice restaurants at the top of some of the towers. Negative is the shopping is apparently overrated.

Soldato
I went to Dubai, wasn't my favourite holiday ever but worth a visit once. I know your breakfast is included at the Atlantis but we had breakfast at the Burj Al Arab (sp?) which was very expensive but amazing.

Soldato
Burj dubai? (and the shopping mall underneath it).

You'll have to book to go up it. Do it on arrival or get the atlantis to do it now.

Top tip, in the breakfast area in the atlantis, walk to the end of the canteen and then round the corner. You'll get pork bacon, otherwise its turkey or veal.
Keep your eyes out for the chicks, the waitresses in nobu are stunners.

Last edited:

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Go to Abu Dhabi, it's MUCH better. I used to live there, was great. As Wicksta said, Dubai really is a soulless theme park. Abu Dhabi is where the culture, and a better idea of what the UAE is, is at.

WTF? I nearly died of boredom in Abu Dhabi- Nothing to do! at all!! I was there for a month and really tried to embrace it. Far too hot, and not a lot to see.

I find Dubai a bit monstrous and boring as well. Once you've been to one of the carbon- copy giant malls, ridden a few slides, ski-ed indoors and marvelled at a bunch of hotels you have no hope of being able to afford to stay in (and some tall buildings), you're done really.

You certainly will NOT need a jacket or any kind of warm clothing- in August the temperature hovers around 30-32 at night and well over 40 during the day.

Soldato
My other advice would be to ask for opinions elsewhere. This forum is ludicrously unbalanced in every thread about the place, even when you manage to sift through the hilarious, original and unexpected "lol sex on the beach rofl romance your wife in a restaurant keke" responses.

Associate
It's a great place to go to, I lived there for a year :)

Some basic things to know are that:
Taxis are extremely cheap, and there is an abundance of them.
Wild Wadi is a great day out, but can be quite expensive once you have bought food.
The Gold Souk or down by the creek show a very traditional side to Dubai.
The souk Medinat is also a great place to visit.
Mall of the Emirates is brilliant, and Ski Dubai is definately worth going to.
Price wise, you can expect most products to be a little cheaper over there, but not as much now due to the exchange rate.

I hope that helps :)

Soldato
Associate
Again, shouldnt be a problem :D although I've heard that even prescription drugs can get some attention - is this right??

StevieP

Don't take any rolling tobacco. I watched an ITV1 programme about 2 years ago about Brits who have got in trouble in Dubai.

One guy got a job offer to work in dubai for 4 years. When he went over he got stopped by customs. They said his rolling tobacco was cannabis. He got 5 years and it was just rolling tobacco.

Also beleive this or not. One guy was in a hotel and he stepped down to tie a shoelace that had come undone. As he tied his lace he also farted. A muslim woman nearby said he had disrespected him. He got 10 years.

Associate
10 years for farting?
5 years for baccy?
I very much doubt that:rolleyes:

My in-laws live out there (Dubai Marina)
I usually go over 3 or 4 times a year, as they pay for everything:D
There are some nice bars and resturaunts there, grab a copy of Dubai time out and have a look through that for suggestions.
Also, if you are at atlantis, then the waterpark is good for a day, as well as the malls and to take a trip up the burj kalifa(?) The water fountains at the base of the burj dispplay every 40 mins (I think) in the evenings.

Also taxis are dirt cheap, so it doesnt matter if you go somewhere thats a bit furter than normal.

Soldato
My other advice would be to ask for opinions elsewhere. This forum is ludicrously unbalanced in every thread about the place, even when you manage to sift through the hilarious, original and unexpected "lol sex on the beach rofl romance your wife in a restaurant keke" responses.

Well they are certainly tough on cannabis (grooverider). But there are some stories of a tiny amount being found on people's clothing = 4 years

Back
Top Bottom