Oil Top-up?

Soldato
If it's the rings and it's blowing it all into the intake through the breather, you also risk over-compressing and killing a big end. You need to find out where the oil is going before you choose to now act.

If it's going down the valve stems there will be a puff of smoke as you come off the throttle, get someone to follow you.

If it's the rings there's be blue smoke in the exhaust all the time, particularly when you rev it.

Soldato
OP
If there's neither? I've not noticed any smoke in my rear-view :(
Thanks for all your help by the way, I'm just car illiterate.

I noticed that the last litre of oil I put in was semi-synthetic 10w40 and this litre was fully-synthetic 0w40. I gather than the wrong oil would be used up quicker than normal?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just a little update - I've started to get noticable symptoms now. When I first start the car, it will struggle a tiny bit and then start with a puff of smoke coming out of the back. The revs will drop and then the car will stall if I don't push on the accellerator.

Had a word with a mechanic friend and he thought it would be something wrong with the valves, he said a bunch of technical stuff I can't remember to repeat.

He's my neighbour's dad so is quite reasonable with labour costs with me.

How much work is removing the top of the engine in a Mk4 Golf? I wouldn't mind getting stuck in and helping out.

Soldato
Semi-synthetic 10W40 is more than adequate for the prehistoric old 8v 2.0L lump - it'll be fine.

These engines do tend to use quite a lot of oil, especially if they have been driven gently most of their life (bore glazing).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'll get him to service it too and stick the computer on it to see if there are any codes on it. I was reading that changing the spark plugs and HT leads might help as well?

Soldato
That symptom can be caused by excess exhaust gasses and oil going into the intake via the breather.

Try routing your breather pipe to a bottle and blocking the hole in the intake manifold which this leaves.

Soldato
£15 quid for 5L 10w/40 oil from VW (Quantum Silver), few quid for a filter, change the lot.

The 2.0's DRINK oil mate.

Buy another 5L for top ups, they drink oil and often leave mayo on the oil cap aswell so don't be too alarmed, just take it for a good run out, condensation build up 9 times out of 10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom