How many miles do you do a week commuting

Soldato
25 miles in total... PER WEEK! Most of that is mancunia way as well which is 50mph :p

Must say I do mtb it a few times a week but its far too easy to be lazy, but sometime I have to drive if I've got an early meeting or such.

Do I win? :o

Naf

Naf

Associate
~35 miles each way, so ~70 miles a day = ~350 miles a week :(

Currently 45-55mpg in my leon, however possibly going to however many mpg an Astra VXR does :eek::cool: ...or maybe a similar mpg in an Astra 888, if I have my sensible hat on ;)

Associate
Got a bit of commuting dilemma myself. I'm currently doing a round trip of 40 miles a day, it takes 30 minutes each way on average. Work announced to us on Monday that within the next 6-9 months they'll be closing our office and moving us 20 miles down the road. So that means my commute would be an 80 mile round trip.

The thing is, 60% of the journey is on the A14 (urgh) which, as anyone who lives around there knows, can be a bit of a bitch (regular crashes, standing traffic etc). At an estimate, I'd say my commute would be an hour to work in the morning, and possibly an hour and half on the way home (both are best case).

Is a commute of that distance and time too much? I do own a diesel car which gives me 55-60 MPG, and I'm currently sticking in around £100 of fuel a month. Obviously this would double to £200 a month, and running costs (tyes, servicing etc) would also be a fair bit more as I'm doing twice the mileage. I really don't know whether to bite the bullet and do the longer commute, or look at moving closer to the new place of work (thing is, I really don't like that part of the country, why move somewhere that I don't like), or even look for a new job...?

Soldato
140 miles per week. 70 mile round trip :( I only drive in 2 days per week when I have parking at work The train can take the strain 3 days as it is nice to have a kip on the way there or back for an hour

Spend £2500 per year alone on travel! Not even for a complex/skilled job either. Looking to work closer to home even if it means a bit of a paycut!

Caporegime
Yeah i do 4 on 4 off

In some ways its a pain, as next month i'm working at least one day of the weekend for the entire month, and for 3 out of the 5 weeks i'm working saturday and sunday.

BUT

you get 4 days off which makes the weeks seem shorter and feels like you get a long weekend all the time. It gives me time to pick up and drop my lad off at school - something that working Mon-Fri 9-5 i never could.

Back
Top Bottom