Canon S90 Photos (17 of them)

Soldato
Hey all, I'm not really a poster in this section of the forum but I am a lurker. On the odd occasion I see people asking about performance compacts, and the S90 is usually up there in the recommendations! About a month ago I bought one myself as my first digital camera. I'm used to film (SLRs) but I wanted something that would give me as much DSLR functionality as possible, for less than £300, that would fit in my cycling bag - very small!. The S90 ticked all the boxes (and more) so I took the plunge :)

I got it just in time for my holiday, which would prove a great test for it.

I wanted to show a select few of my photos in-case anyone else is thinking about buying the camera. It is a beautiful and very capable little thing, and i can't recommend it enough! The photos shown were taken in Zadar (Croatia), Lake Bled (Slovenia), Zell am See (Austria), Lauterbrunnen (Switzerland) and Rolle (Switzerland). Thanks for looking :)

August202010-5.jpg

August202010-13.jpg

August202010-8.jpg

August202010-7.jpg

August212010-11.jpg

August232010-9.jpg

August232010-3.jpg

August232010-1.jpg

August242010-6.jpg

August262010-14.jpg

August262010-12.jpg

August292010-16.jpg

August292010-2.jpg

August292010-17.jpg

August292010-4.jpg

September012010-10.jpg

September032010-15.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Love them all, you do justice to the amazing scenery. Surprisingly good DOF effects for a little camera. #11 is my favorite, happen to know what the exposure time on that was?

Associate
Thanks very much for posting this, i'm looking for a half decent compact at the moment and was considering the s90, seems very capable!

Did you use any post processing or are these all straight from the camera?

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the responses :). The exposure time for the night shot was 15 seconds, can't remember what aperture though, probably f8, could probably dig out the info later. It was taken from the north shore of Zell am See in Austria. The main constellation is Sagittarius and you might be able to see a faint angled cloud in the middle of the sky, which i think is the milky way. The sky from this location and time on bing maps seems to agree and i think i might have even captured the faint smudge of the lagoon nebula!

Most of them have light PP on them (tone tweaks) but all are very close to straight out of the camera. Nearly all have been straightened to some extent - Haven't got used to taking perfectly level photos using and LCD screen yet!

The U-shaped valley is at Lauterbrunnen and surrounding area - the Jungfrau region - in Switzerland. I've gone a little way to trying to capture the scale of this place, the scenery is absolutely epic. Popular for cyclists, walkers, climbers and even base-jumpers. Amazing place.

Associate
wow, i'm impressed by the sharpness and DOF you get from that compact.

I recently bought a Sony TX7 cheap for those times when dragging the SLR around isnt practical, and it's performance is a far cry from that of the Canon. Having used a cheap Nikon Coolpix before i just assumed all compacts were crap until you get to the Canon G series.

I may have to look into getting one of these S90's! Great pics btw

Soldato
OP
EXIF shows this was a 15 second exposure ?

How did you manage to get it so sharp over such a long exposure, even with a tripod my shots are never that sharp with such long exposures !

Yeah it was 15 seconds. This is the max. shutter speed supported by the camera (well, with the canon firmware).

Not sure how its so sharp! I didn't bring a tripod - this shot was taken with the camera sat on a bench :p

Back
Top Bottom