• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Catalyst updates through steam now!

Soldato
A good idea so long as they don't force updates upon you like Steam games

Lots of people choose drivers suited to their needs, forcing updates would not go down well

I doubt they'll be forced. Most of valve's games are multiplayer so it makes sense to ensure everyone is on the same version..... but there's no reason to make everyone use the same drivers.

I think it's mostly just a marketing thing. It says it's part of AMD's commitment to gamers policy...It's a smart move. The green team seem to have conquered the in-game loading screens with their TWIMTBP, so AMD are going one step ahead, and are going to make us look at their logos before we've even loaded up a game.

Associate
About time they work out a way we can update gfx drivers without having to uninstall old ones, reboot into safe mode, do a driver clean, reboot again and then install, and configure options/colours every time.

But this is ATI/AMD and given their drivers completely suck Im not expecting it to be that straightforward.

Its a shame nvidia keep clinging onto that darn 8800gt and just keep renaming and rereleasing it.

Permabanned
About time they work out a way we can update gfx drivers without having to uninstall old ones, reboot into safe mode, do a driver clean, reboot again and then install, and configure options/colours every time.
You mean how they currently are? I've been installing over the top with no problems for over a year now.

But this is ATI/AMD and given their drivers completely suck Im not expecting it to be that straightforward.
:rolleyes: Everything sucks if you've got a massive case of PEBKAC.

Its a shame nvidia keep clinging onto that darn 8800gt and just keep renaming and rereleasing it.
Can't argue with that.

Soldato

How is that EVEN relevant to the current topic on discussion!?

As for the idea, it sounds good, as long as it doesn't force the latest version on you :) If Valve can get Nvidia on board too, it will really help them to cement Steam as the best digital distribution for PC games.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've never, ever, ever once used drivercleaner, or any other cleaner when updating drivers, or moving from Nvidia to ATI, or ATI to Nvidia, its completely not required and NEVER has been.

Likewise AMD's drivers you've been able to install over the top for the best part of, 3-4 years and even before then you didn't have to reboot, or safe mode, control panel, uninstalled, say no to reboot, install new driver, reboot, be done with it. That was largely down to windows requirement to reboot to do anything useful, with Win 7 the reboot isn't required, neither is the uninstalling and driver sweeper/cleaner has never, ever been required.

Soldato
hmmm...does windows scan for gpu updates nd only download the fully tested ones and it's an optional download? At least i've had several gpu driver updates through my windows update and for anyone who says well it can be dodgy. Do you really think steam will be better then windows at updating drivers? I'd be seriously worried about who inter grated it into the windows update if that was the case.

Looks like a gimmick for those that don't realise windows does this anyway tbh. Unless i'm missing something?

Soldato
I've never, ever, ever once used drivercleaner, or any other cleaner when updating drivers, or moving from Nvidia to ATI, or ATI to Nvidia, its completely not required and NEVER has been.
Used drivercleaner once, wish I didn't! Needed new Windows install after using drivercleaner, never again. Do as the man said, just install over the top of old ones.

Soldato
Likewise AMD's drivers you've been able to install over the top for the best part of, 3-4 years.
Only problem with that is you will have left over files from previous installations, and those ati ccc and driver files can take up 100+mb of disk space each, so imagine 3 or 4 years of that lot :D.

From now on i'm checking the drivers and profile release notes, and if there is no advantages/ performance gains etc for my hardware or software then it is pointless to update.

Last edited:
Associate
:rolleyes: Everything sucks if you've got a massive case of PEBKAC.

Stop kidding yourself - their drivers suck, end of.

I will just give you one example, I have an 120hz monitor and in order to get scaling to work properly at resolutions other than widescreen, I have to switch to a lower resolution than native, change the scaling settings on the ATI CCC, then change back to native whereby the settings appear to go back to default but in fact arent. Because at native res the options are blanked out.

Look at nvidia and not only do their drivers have no such problems but they even allow you to create your own resolutions with associated refresh rates and alter the timings etc. And have done so for a very long time. With ATI I have to create resolution by editing the registry i.e. SUCKS.

Also its unnecessary to flame and use stupid abbreviations like "PEBKAC". Im not exactly insulting your mother. Personally I think ATI drivers suck, that doesnt make me stupid or a "PEBKAC". I mentioned the 8800gt re-release because I would have bought a nvidia gfx card if they would stop doing that and release something competitive price/performance wise with the ATI 5770.

Also if you are just updating gfx drivers without uninstalling properly you are doing it wrong to the majority of people.

Associate
Looks like a gimmick for those that don't realise windows does this anyway tbh. Unless i'm missing something?

Yeah, Windows Update can do this, but only for the Microsoft signed drivers, which will work, for a given value of 'work'.
For gamers, the hardware manufacturers drivers are the way to go as they benefit from all the functionality and performace tweaks that the manufacturers provide.

Once upon a time, I had a Geforce 4MX, which with the Microsoft drivers would stutter at everything, once I remembered to install the nVidia drivers games would run fine.

This seems like a positive step. It won't mean much to hardcore gamers who keep up with Driver revisions anyway, but for the casual gamer it's all gravy (barring duff driver updates which I won't go into).
Hopefully nVidia will follow suit soon.

Soldato
Steam update out with AMD driver update support.

steamait.jpg

Soldato
Interesting development. Not much help to us dedicated enthusiasts, but will certainly be of benefit to an average PC gamer. I've seen quite a few avid PC gamers (in terms of play time!) still using windows default drivers or very old releases.

Back
Top Bottom