Camera RAW -> Post-Processed Image Thread

Soldato
Because i was told repeatedly on here to use only M, that i was an idiot for using P,S,A mode.

So i use M and then you post that.

Do i need to use Z mode or something to not get criticised ?

No, they said to not rely on full Auto mode.

I really like the one in the Hong Kong street, I like the processing on that, you can tell the area is pretty vibrant and the processing fits that.

Nicely done adding Bruce too :p

Soldato
Here's one of my examples.

Once taken, looking at it on the camera screen, and indeed with no adjustments made, I thought it was a "thrower".

However, a few minutes playing when loading it into Photoshop, and it's made quite a difference - has made it a "keeper" instead I think.

img1168unprocessed.jpg
IMG_1168.jpg

Associate
As has been said before. Raw will always need processing.

I used to use RAW all the time. However now I shoot in JPG as well. JPG adds more processing and makes as shot images look a lot better - I find this easier for judging the shot on the fly and determining if I have captured what I wanted.

However the bonus with RAW is that you can pretty much do what you want with the image.

Handy link:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Soldato
Quick one from me, actually used the wrong aperture, but from a very overcast/drizzly day;

Before;
rawbefore.jpg

After (with my LightRoom preset);
rawedit.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone have any links for idiot's guides to Lightroom presets - I'm really au fait with how they work or how to configure them?

Soldato
I pretty much only shoot RAW. Imo processing a photo is essential, taking a photo is only half the process.

Like said RAW images give maximum opportunity for change and seeing as I like to mess around with photoshop it suits me. It's Also a massive help recovering a poorly shot picture.

ant01.jpg

formicidae01ant.jpg

spider01.jpg

jumpingspider16.jpg

Soldato
It's hard to say exactly, I just build up a load of adjustment layers until I get what I want, these usually consist of adjusting curves, colour tones, etc. Then I also duplicate layers in order to do cloning, bringing out the colours in eyes, dodging, burning. Every image requires something different.

Caporegime
well thats obviously the first place i'm going wrong then

as i'm just applying one adjustment to the whole picture.

How would you bring out the colour in the eyes ?

Soldato
well thats obviously the first place i'm going wrong then

as i'm just applying one adjustment to the whole picture.

How would you bring out the colour in the eyes ?

A good thing for that is using the dodge tool. It lightens them and makes them look a lot more vibrant. Especially awesome for blue eyes :)

Back
Top Bottom