• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

BIG 10.9 DRIVER PROBLEM

Soldato
Exactly, still waiting for links saying it's fine to install over old drivers. Nvidia and AMD instruct you to uninstall old drivers before installing new for windows 7, so that wiki link doesn't hold much water with AMD or Nvidia.

Permabanned
If AMD the guys that develop the drivers for their GFX cards instruct users of their cards to uninstall old drivers before installing new ones I suggest that's what people do. You provide no links categorically stating it's fine to install AMD drivers over old drivers but would rather ride on someones links to wiki to back yourself up, which does not mention AMD drivers anywhere..pff.

AMD instruction for Windows 7 is to uninstall old drivers before installing new, you think they are so inept to not know how to give proper instruction on how to install windows 7 drivers..

Oh look, you did it again. :rolleyes: The very fact that AMD/ATi have worked with Valve/Steam to implement driver updates via Steam, and the method used is to install over the top showing that it's fine doesn't mean anything to you? :confused:

Soldato
Still no links? Where's all these instructions you have read elsewhere. I will stick with AMD's official advise regarding drivers as I'm not one for using third party software for auto updating my drivers, I'm very capable of doing it on my own.

Soldato
Exactly, still waiting for links saying it's fine to install over old drivers. Nvidia and AMD instruct you to uninstall old drivers before installing new for windows 7, so that wiki link doesn't hold much water with AMD or Nvidia.

Are official release notes good enough, note these are the 8.6 driver release notes, so over 2 years ago.

http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/catalyst_86_release_notes.html

Catalyst Install enhancement - No reboot required after Catalyst upgrade install

This release of Catalyst™ introduces an enhancement to the Catalyst installer. Users are no longer required to reboot their system after Catalyst has finished installing (as long as the installation is an upgrade from a previous Catalyst install).

Soldato
That was two years a go and it goes against what AMD suggest on their site which was updated this year regarding driver upgrade installs. Either way everyone has their preferences regarding uninstalling/installing drivers, I will stick with the official advise given currently by AMD.

Associate
I normal uninstall/reinstall drivers. but i though i would try it like a lof of people have said they do it. Wish i never had. pc wont run now

Why not just do a system restore using your Windows DVD to the point before the Catalyst 10.9 was installed?

Next time make sure you run the installer as Admin.

IMHO installing the new Catalyst driver over the old one is fine. Looking at my own system I have installed every driver on top of the old one since 10.3 without any conflicts or blue screens.

I would imagine if you un-install the Catalyst driver the first thing Windows 7 or Vista would do is down load and install the current Catalyst driver in Microsofts own repository. So in the end, if you down load and install the latest one from AMD's site, you will be doing it on top of an older driver anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would imagine if you un-install the Catalyst driver the first thing Windows 7 or Vista would do is down load and install the current Catalyst driver in Microsofts own repository. So in the end, if you down load and install the latest one from AMD's site, you will be doing it on top of an older driver anyway.
I can't speak for others but when i have removed ati drivers from win 7 a window pops up and requests a restart, and at the same time an automatic driver update is available from windows 7. When i get back onto the desktop an automatic option is available from the windows update site but is not forced it's user discretion in my case.

Back
Top Bottom