First time to the States

Man of Honour
Get out of LA as soon as you can, do not waste a second longer than you have to there. This is serious advice - not a mickey take.

There are loads of stunning things in California and none of them are in LA. Get out, ASAP, and get to San Diego, San Francisco, Yosemite etc or something instead.

Soldato
I echo what Fox said, LA is an absolute hole of a place, get out and head for San Francisco and San Diego. Get a tour of Alcatraz when in SF

Edit - If it were my trip id cancel and fly into Vegas, stay there for a couple of days and head up to California visiting places on the way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apply for ESTA before you go... not at the airport like me... 1) it may take a while to get approved and 2) the internet/printing in the airport is expensive!!!

Otherwise have a great time... Just got back from Boston... Was awesome... Try Root Beer!!! mmmmmmm

Man of Honour
I won't be far from the Hollywood sign, Universal studios etc etc and thereks a beach about 12 miles away I believe

Please tell me you've not booked one hotel for the whole trip? Surely not?

There are beaches in LA - Santa Monica is the best place for that, Venice Beach is weird as its full of random nutjobs etc. Didnt like it there.

Soldato
As above, LA is a dump I'm afraid :( The only thing I can recommend in that immediate area is Universal Studios and a tacky Beverly Hills tour. Also check if there's anything good showing at Mann's Chinese Theater. Other than that, get out of there and explore CA!

Associate
Well I live in West Hollywood for about half the year, so I have to disagree with most...LA is one of the most fantastic cities in the world...but it does depend on what you like. I like music...therefore, I love being in LA.

However, you cant be staying near the hollywood sign and Universal Studios...Universal is in North Hollywood, and the Hollywood sign is on the other side of the hills, a good 25 minute drive away. Also, if you are near either of these places...There isnt a beach 12 miles away. To get to basically all the beaches, youre looking at an hour drive away to get to the beach, and about a 2 hour drive back, with traffic. If you make it to the beach, I would suggest Huntington if you want to surf, Malibu if you want to stare, and Santa Monica if you happen to be going with a girl.

Are you hiring a car? If not, you will struggle....LA is just...Huge! If youre happy staying near where youre staying, let me know where it is, and what you like doing, and I can tell you the places I would go around there. The best thing really is just to get out and about, and experience the place. If you do have a car then...West Hollywood is the place to be to party and shop. If you like rock music, get to the sunset strip, and just take your pick from the rainbow rooms, the roxy, viper room, whiskey a go go or the house of blues. All awesome venues, and live music every night at them all. If youre a big electro fan, like everyone seems to be in LA, Avalon is the place to be, which is in West Hollywood. If you like a lot of indie bands and more dive bars as oppose to wine bars, head to silverlake (If you do, I would suggest locating the Thirsty Crow, best whiskey bar in LA, and where youll find me most of the time). If you like a artsy vibe, comedy and theatre, head to north hollywood. Again, if you let me know what sort of places you like to go see I can try and recommend you.

If you want to do the sites, then you need to obviously hit up the holywood sign...my favourite place to view it is from runyon canyon (youll see a minimum of about 10 celebs walking their dogs up here..Last time I want, I accidently knocked Giovanni Rabisi over...). Youll want to head to Hollywood Blvd, to look at all the stars on the floor, along the way you can see the chinese theatre too. If you are a big film fan, head to the arclight just down the road too, awesome cinema. Food wise, make sure you hit up Big Boys, and Roscoes Chicken and Waffles...two LA staples. If you want wings...Find Big Wangs on Hollywood on a Saturday..25c wings.

Like others have suggested, if you want to get out of LA...then you have San Diego, Pacific Beach is a really nice place, but...I also find it SD a bit dull..expect a 3 hour drive. San Fran which is awesome, is at about 5 hours drive on a good day. If you are going for no longer than 2 weeks, I wouldnt go to Vegas...you need to spend a good few days in Vegas to appreciate it.

My best advice however...Find the cutest hottest girl you can...ask her for the time, and with your British accent alone...Youre a winner.

If you arent driving, be aware...that to get from say, west hollywood, to north hollywood, will set you back $50 on a weekday, more on a weekend.

Remember to tip your waitresses and bar staff well. The better you tip at a bar...the more jack youll get next time in your JD and coke...until youre drinking pure Jack for the price of a shot.

Associate
Las ***ing Vegas! I went on a 6 week trip of the US a year or so ago, and Vegas was one of the highlights of my trip. I don't know what it was, but something about the place is just legendary =P

Associate
LA is a crap hole. Santa Barbara, Monica were nice. Hollywood is over hyped. Hollywood Boulevard (Walk of Fame) was rubbish. Homeless people, nuts jobs and skanky shops selling crap. As for universal, it's ok but the price you're paying it's not worth it. If you have a car they charge you $15 to park it. A standard ticket is $74 dollars plus parking $89, a joke. Basically get out of LA.:p

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17408419 said:
Get out of LA as soon as you can, do not waste a second longer than you have to there. This is serious advice - not a mickey take.

There are loads of stunning things in California and none of them are in LA. Get out, ASAP, and get to San Diego, San Francisco, Yosemite etc or something instead.

++++

Man of Honour
I have heard many a bad things about LA. Would have thought you'd be more interested in Orlando for a first US trip.

What, the American Benidorm? No thanks. LA is a great... airport for a first trip as it allows access to the most variety you'll ever find on a single trip. Deserts, beaches, mountains, cities, all within driving distance.

Soldato
I'm 90% sure (presumption I know) that the people saying "GET OUT OF LA ASAP ITS A DUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmppppppp........!!!!!" are the ones who left as soon as they could and actually didn't experience any of what LA has to offer.

I was gutted to leave LA if im honest, i found it a thrilling city to be in, it might not be the prettiest of places but I grew up on Teesside so pretty much anything is Monaco in comparison. Detroit_Waves, in his post above pretty much summed up everything that needs to be said really.

San Diego was as stated great to drive to down the coast but deader than corduroy unless your have a deranged interest in captive sea mammals ?

Given the option I would have stayed in LA for longer but we were needed at SD for a wedding then we jumped over to Dallas to stay with relatives. If flying wasn't such an issue for me, I would be back to the States asap with LA on the itinerary. Still gutted out honeymoon was cancelled (Katrina) which involved a Mustang drive cross country from New Orleans to Atlanta through all the Deep South towns.

Man of Honour
Still gutted out honeymoon was cancelled (Katrina) which involved a Mustang drive cross country from New Orleans to Atlanta through all the Deep South towns.

NOLA and Atlanta would have been awesome but the drive through the deep south is over rated. You do see some crazy stuff though.

Back
Top Bottom