Where to start learning Javascript/php/CMS type stuff.

Soldato
Basically at the moment I have started getting an interest in websites. I'm using Joomla, which is pretty good for what I want, but it's a little cumsy and restrictive...

Where id the best place to start to learn something about making my own CMS for my sites, PHP and javascript.

Mainly I'm a little disappointed with Joomla as it is restrictive with how I layout my articles and stuff.

I appreciate I will have a lot to learn but am struggling to think where I should even start.

I basically want to get to a stage where I can use my own CMS, make my own template and set my own layout.

Learning how to script would be nice, I know PHP and javascript can do some cool things, and if I learn them maybe I can think of some cool uses for them on my website.

As you have probably guess by reading I am not to clued up on this website game hehe

Associate
The way I learned HTML was by using "view source" a lot and experimenting. It's still, I'd say, the best method. I'd advise against wasting money on books on the subject. The only thing you need to actually understand, as a concept, is the "css box model", so once you've got that in your head the rest is just the syntax and nuances, and there's plenty of good free online resources for those, such as w3schools as pointed out.

So with the client side taken care of, you're left with figuring out the server side. As you don't already know PHP, there's two large subjects you need to educate yourself on: PHP's syntax and how to use it, and sensible code-structure methods bearing in mind the end goal you have. PHP's website, at php.net, is a fantastic fantastic resource. Yes the language is messy and purist coders will slate it for all sorts of reasons, but, it holds together well, and the website is nicely put together and explains everything. As for how to structure your files/code, that's going to take some trial and error, and depend on whether you like storing your flat content in the DB or as flat files, and how much dynamic stuff you need to sit in amongst your flat content (for one thing).

Do you have any programming experience/knowledge at all?

Last edited:
Associate
php is easier to learn when you understand what it does too. When I first tried to learn I was like "A + B = C, easy stuff!! Now how do I show a banner using PHP?" :p. CMS is a large task, so don't forget to start low with it. Create a normal HTML/CSS site and start using PHP in it. Stuff like

"Copyright <?php echo date("Y"); ?> YourName".

Then work on stuff like rotating images or css styles. Small things.

Creating a shopping list generator.

Text-reader/highlighter.

Start learning MySQL and do a fitness tracking website where you input your progress.

Allow it to be more dynamic and users to add fields.

Login system for users.

etc... and then you'll get it. Stepping stones.

Soldato
OP
I know nothing about anything really.

Just using joomla GUI to muddle through, we are going to buy Artisteer to sort a theme out for us.

I use the linux CLI a fair bit so I'm not scared of code at all...

I think my needs are rather basic tbh, but I'm really dissapointed that Joomla cannot do custom content layout's, I want different colour titles for articles and different colour boxes in various positions to make it easier to read and navigate, from what I have seen Joomla is very basic in this respect.

Soldato
You should be aware JavaScript and php are very different entities. Javascript is executed client side and allows you to manipulate the DOM thereby affecting the way a page is rendered. php is a scripting language executed server side and affects what is sent to the client in the first place. It is a good idea to learn them as separate entities.

Php/mysql is a standard approach, however, php is a dog and python is considerably better. If you are also experimenting with apache, and want to be awesome, give python a try as your scripting language.

http://www.python.org/
http://www.modpython.org/

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't write your own CMS - find one that you are comfortable and then start digging, learning little by little. If you like you could try implementing your own Joomla Component (I have literally just finished writing my own first one, about 5 minutes ago).

Just do some PHP first, then work it into the CMS.

Soldato
w3schools is always a good place to start,

For PHP you can find numerous tutorial sites all offering basic tutorials,

I used this one when I started learning.

And if you don't understand what it is you can always look it up on php.net

Back
Top Bottom