More problems!

Associate
This a continuation of this thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18188758

System Spec:

AMD X4 955
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM 9-9-9-24 timings
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3 Motherboard
ATI Sapphire 5870HD
500Gb WD Hdd
250Gb WD Hdd

Now I managed to get an OS installed after setting my RAM voltage to 1.65V manually, however I have run into another issue. I started playing BFBC2, CSS, TF2 and all those games ran fine.

Now I've got FFXIV, this has caused some major issues. On the latest ATI drivers I can play about 5~30 minutes depending on how lucky I feel. I rolled back to 10.8 drivers and I can play for up to an hour. Then entire computer will lock up and give no BSODs.

So I ran P95 to see if I can replicate it without the game, within 5 seconds of starting P95 the entire computer locks up and freezes.

Does anyone have any ideas? I think I'll leave it running memtest overnight...and I guess if that backfires it's either motherboard or CPU?

Thanks in advance :)

Associate
OP
Gah. I was hoping to have a nice and easy build.

I am thinking of just returning the motherboard and cpu and getting the more expensive i5 and some motherboard.

Man of Honour
Games can be a little temperamental. What can work on one machione may not work on another. This is because all games are coded differently and use endless combinations of different drivers and so forth... My PC has been stable for years, yet BioShock 2 multi-player locks up nearly every time I play it. Since my system is 100 stable and I don't get problems with any other game, I assume there is a bug in the game.

My advice would be run some system torture test away from the games for the time being (Orthos Prime for example). If you know your system is stable from the offset then it effectively rules out hardware problems.

Don't forget to check out the Event Log. This will tell you if it's an application error, as it does with my BioShock 2 game.

Associate
OP
Games can be a little temperamental. What can work on one machione may not work on another. This is because all games are coded differently and use endless combinations of different drivers and so forth... My PC has been stable for years, yet BioShock 2 multi-player locks up nearly every time I play it. Since my system is 100 stable and I don't get problems with any other game, I assume there is a bug in the game.

My advice would be run some system torture test away from the games for the time being (Orthos Prime for example). If you know your system is stable from the offset then it effectively rules out hardware problems.

Don't forget to check out the Event Log. This will tell you if it's an application error, as it does with my BioShock 2 game.

It's not a specific application error. I used Prime95 blend/in-place large/small and my system hard locked after 5 seconds of starting the test.

It's not a game issue unfortunately.

Associate
I would be very interested to see your temperatures both at ideal and at load just before the lock up.

Would it be possible for you to post your complete bios settings.

Include as much of the details as you can, voltages set is quite important too.

I am sure that there are enough really bright folks on this forum who can help out. But to do that we will need a bit of info please.

Associate
OP
Got an RMA for the motherboard and CPU. Going to have an i5 and ASUS p7p55d delivered tomorrow :)

Crisis averted!

Associate
OP
I would be very interested to see your temperatures both at ideal and at load just before the lock up.

Would it be possible for you to post your complete bios settings.

Include as much of the details as you can, voltages set is quite important too.

I am sure that there are enough really bright folks on this forum who can help out. But to do that we will need a bit of info please.

Temperatures on the CPU is 50 degrees at system lock up. When play FFXIV the GPU temperature was about 60~70 degrees.

I can post bios settings if you really want, all of my voltages are automatic bar the memory voltage which is set at 1.65V.

Back
Top Bottom