XBOX 360 Display help (HD is fuzzy)

Soldato
hey guys, so today i got my cables that would enable me to hook up my
Samsung SyncMaster 2494SW (24 inch widescreen Monitor)

went into the display settings, set it to 1080p stuck MW2 in and it looks all fuzzy-ish. i then stuck a dvd on and its the same, like it's grainy.

i then messed around with the other settings, and its all the same. it works perfectly fine on my pc.

so am i doing anything wrong?

Soldato
what 'cables' are you using?

1. Consoles render in 1280*720 or lower resolutions, so when upscaled to 1080, they never look as crisp as a PC game at 1920*1080..
2. If you are using a VGA cable (well anything other then HDMI->HDMI or HDMI->DVI), if it's a third party cable, these can be quite cheap and introduce a lot of artefacts/softness to the image as the analogue signal degrades unless good quality cables are used.

Soldato
OP
im using a HDMI to DVI cable

and an optical RCA adapter for audio

i wish i could take pictures but my poor ass dosnt have a camera.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
edit: after looking at some reviews,a lot of them say it dosnt support full 1080p infact its no where near only 540p with upscaling to 1080p(not true 1080p).

ah well, looks like i need a new monitor/tv to enjoy HD with a console...

OK, your monitor has a native resolution of 1920*1080 (1080p), so that's not the issue, on a technical level, it's identical to setting your PC to output 1920*1080 with a 60Hz refresh.

The 360 can output 1080p no problem,

The issue is probably one of these

1. If the HDMI-DVI lead is poor quality, it might struggle to push 1080p down it, the side effects of dodgy HDMI is 'sparklies', on my monitor they are easy to spot, it's a ton of green dots appearing all over the picture. Just get a better quality cable.

2. The game is rendered internally at a lowish resolution (is MW2 even 1280 * 720?), when upscaled to 1080, it will look a bit rubbish compared to a PC natively rendering at 1080p, not a lot you can do, just get used to it I suppose.

3. The 360 is very fussy about the EDID information the monitor supplies it, if you are able to select 1080p in the 360's display menu, then you are OK, if not, it's the same issue my Viewsonic had. Does your monitor in the on screen menu's have anywhere it shows you what resolution it's being inputted? I can't remember off the top of my head if the 360 outputs 1080p at 50Hz or 60Hz.

I'd take HDMI->DVI anyday of the week, it's digital, so assuming correct signal paths/EDID compatibility, it would appear the best interconnect. Using the VGA cable can lead to a soft picture on some monitors as 1920*1080 is right at the extreme of resolutions you can pass down the cable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Check for any settings on the monitor related to picture size or scaling; you want it on Native or Just Scan. Same thing applies to TVs too, but not a lot of people actually realise.

Soldato
Check for any settings on the monitor related to picture size or scaling; you want it on Native or Just Scan. Same thing applies to TVs too, but not a lot of people actually realise.

Yeah, when i go round a mates and play on his PS3 this annoyed me for ages, you could clearly see that his TV was only showing part of the picture, with the edges off the screen :rolleyes:.

His TV remote was broke tho, so I couldnt change it for him, eventually found out how to change it using his Sky remote.

First thing I did with my TV was set it to just scan for all my consoles.

Associate
edit: after looking at some reviews,a lot of them say it dosnt support full 1080p infact its no where near only 540p with upscaling to 1080p(not true 1080p).

ah well, looks like i need a new monitor/tv to enjoy HD with a console...

The official VGA cable supports every mode the 360 supports, if people dont get the correct display with it they either have the settings in the dash wrong or the monitor they are using needs to support the res for each mode.

I've got mine connected via the MS VGA cable to a dell 2007wfp monitor and it works perfectly, nice and crisp and clear

Soldato
OP

i checked every thing i could and as far as i can tell everything was set perfectly, i'll have another try with diffrent cables. thanks for trying to help

Yeah, when i go round a mates and play on his PS3 this annoyed me for ages, you could clearly see that his TV was only showing part of the picture, with the edges off the screen :rolleyes:.

His TV remote was broke tho, so I couldnt change it for him, eventually found out how to change it using his Sky remote.

First thing I did with my TV was set it to just scan for all my consoles.

i'll try looking again as i said, thanks for trying to help

The official VGA cable supports every mode the 360 supports, if people dont get the correct display with it they either have the settings in the dash wrong or the monitor they are using needs to support the res for each mode.

I've got mine connected via the MS VGA cable to a dell 2007wfp monitor and it works perfectly, nice and crisp and clear

i know 10000% that my monitor supports 1080p native. so it must be the cable it was a cheap-ish £12 one

i'll try again with the offical cable, can yopu tell me if it comes with an optical sound input? its hard to tell from the pictures of it but it seems like it does.

and again thanks for the help everyone. i appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom