Civ 5 is owned by steam

Soldato
Many DRM systems are how having release day checks before you can install or run the games. This is in an effort to stop zero day piracy, which is probably the only piracy you have any hope of defeating.

However it's a bit silly that retail version of steam games won't install at all before release, when on a lot of Steam games let you download them before release and have them unlock on release day.

And Valve should fix that stupid error message so it actually tells you the proper reason you can't install.

Permabanned
I to would have preferred had it not being linked to steam, kinda annoying have to run 2 applications for one game, but like CiV 5 so stuck with it.

pants_3.jpg

Soldato
I see what he means tho. It is a bit stupid for games to have a lock in place that makes it unplayable before a certain date. I mean if you have a physical copy of a game you should be able to play it when you get home and install it. But he cant. Seems daft indeed.

Back before the net was good for downloading games or activating, you wouldn't have had this problem. Seems company's are just too controlling these days what with all the activation and locked till a certain date crap. They blame it all on pirates but well you go into the biz knowing that it will happen so don't cry if it gets pirated. Should be prowd lol that everyone wants to play the game u made, not be sore loosers that its been copied for free so you lose ur monies. :p

Meh, its not the fact they make you wait, after all the game relies on steam and it clearly won't be active till they say so no different to a preorder been delivered. Its just irritating when half the world gets it earlier when its digital...

And seriously if you've been waiting x months since you preordered the game an evening won't kill you. If you do something stupid like stay up all night waiting for the inevitable delayed activation when you could just go to bed any play it the next day you deserve it...

Soldato
No need for insults me thinks ...

In any case I agree with the OP, what about the good old days, I still remember when I got games a couple of days a day or two before release date and was still able to play them.

Soldato
Does it REALLY matter about playing a game on release day?

It's not suddenly going to become a rubbish game the following day, or an even better game the day before release day, is it?

I pre-ordered and pre-loaded Mafia II before it's release - and I've yet to launch it. Am I bothered - no, not in the slightest.

Soldato
i7 965 Extreme, Asus Rampage II Extreme.12gb of OCZ 2000mhz, BFG 280GTX . using Gigabyte 3d Aurora case( modded because the Mobo don't fit this case), 27" dell monitor. 1100W Coolmaster PSU

that spec and your complaining about Steam... what kind of Gamer are you :|

how have you not been using Steam for a considerable amount of years already?

Associate
Medical Chief: What can you tell me about the patient?

Psychologist#1: When brought in he was in a hysterical state. At the time there was no way of contacting him. We've had some limited interaction with him once he calmed down.

Medical Chief: Could you elaborate?

Psychologist#1: Well, so far, he has insisted on eating soup with a fork, wasn't able to grasp that an on/off button only has two modes and shows equal amount of amusement from contemporary music as well as advertising jingles.

Psychologist#2: The subject seems unaware of his surroundings, shows poor to none skills in human communications and lack concept of the basic laws of physics.

Medical Chief: So pretty much pants on head retarded?

Psychologist#1: That would be the medical term, yes.

Soldato
No need for insults me thinks ...

In any case I agree with the OP, what about the good old days, I still remember when I got games a couple of days a day or two before release date and was still able to play them.

I don't see the problem. The company has designed its marketing strategies, and probably a fair bit more, perhaps including patching, multiplayer support etc, around a release day. People being able to play before release day doesn't help them. Therefore they put a stop to it. Simple and perfectly justifiable in my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom