My Arcade Cabinet

Associate
OP
@thedoc46

Isn't that crappy pacman machine the one that Billy Mitchel practiced on to set his world record ? I would love to see it in person. So much history in the cabinet !

Good luck getting your own cab mate, don't be getting yourself in trouble with the missus though !

Finding a cheap cabinet can be hard. Don't expect to find one cheap on ebay, they are well overpriced on there.

I found my Paperboy cab locally through Gumtree, it was broken but complete and I paid £100 for it. Luckily I was able to get it home without having to pay any shipping cost

Soldato
@thedoc46

Isn't that crappy pacman machine the one that Billy Mitchel practiced on to set his world record ? I would love to see it in person. So much history in the cabinet !

Good luck getting your own cab mate, don't be getting yourself in trouble with the missus though !

Finding a cheap cabinet can be hard. Don't expect to find one cheap on ebay, they are well overpriced on there.

I found my Paperboy cab locally through Gumtree, it was broken but complete and I paid £100 for it. Luckily I was able to get it home without having to pay any shipping cost

I don't think it's the same machine. Surely the machine that holds the world record would be worth something? This was just for public use.. Though I could be wrong.. One thing I will say his resturant was in the hood. I mean I wanted to eat up fast and get back outside before i came out to a car on bricks. Lots of bums walking up and down with shopping carts.. My missus was WTF did you bring me here for.. I was ummm but it's the guy who holds the world record blah blah blah..

As for getting the cab at 100quid.. nice one, but i'm sure it was in a state. I'm not so handy on woodwork unfortunately, so i'd probably want a new cab.. One again you probably already know but Archer Maclean (old programmer on the C64 & Atari dropzone and Internatial Karate .....LIKE I REALLY NEED TO TELL YOU !!! Anyway he's into restoring cabs and has a decent collection.

Soldato
Whats wrong with Happ?

Pretty good for oldschool style games. it's more of the feel with them though compared to sanwa.

I kinda like the concave happ buttons.. Seems like a lot of the older machines have them.. Agree with Fergie and would have gone with a Sanwa and probably put a bat top on the stick though over a happ stick.. Better stick so they say.

Associate
OP
I don't think it's the same machine. Surely the machine that holds the world record would be worth something? This was just for public use.. Though I could be wrong.. One thing I will say his resturant was in the hood. I mean I wanted to eat up fast and get back outside before i came out to a car on bricks. Lots of bums walking up and down with shopping carts.. My missus was WTF did you bring me here for.. I was ummm but it's the guy who holds the world record blah blah blah..

As for getting the cab at 100quid.. nice one, but i'm sure it was in a state. I'm not so handy on woodwork unfortunately, so i'd probably want a new cab.. One again you probably already know but Archer Maclean (old programmer on the C64 & Atari dropzone and Internatial Karate .....LIKE I REALLY NEED TO TELL YOU !!! Anyway he's into restoring cabs and has a decent collection.

He owns a chain of restaurants, "Ricky's" so it's may not be the same machine, but in his main restaurant he has the machine he used to PRACTICE on. The one he set the world record on is in funspot I believe which is where they go to set the records on the old arcades.

I know of Archer Maclean, I have a few of his games but I never knew he was into restoring old cabinet, that cool to know, thanks !

My cab was pretty rough but the woodwork was solid, I just needed to repair a couple of corners in the woodwork. It would have cost me as much, probably more to build the cabinet.

Soldato
He owns a chain of restaurants, "Ricky's" so it's may not be the same machine, but in his main restaurant he has the machine he used to PRACTICE on. The one he set the world record on is in funspot I believe which is where they go to set the records on the old arcades.

I know of Archer Maclean, I have a few of his games but I never knew he was into restoring old cabinet, that cool to know, thanks !

My cab was pretty rough but the woodwork was solid, I just needed to repair a couple of corners in the woodwork. It would have cost me as much, probably more to build the cabinet.

Here you go..

http://www.rickeysrestaurant.net/aboutus.html

The Hollywood one was the one I went too. To taste his 'World Famous' hot sauce.. FunSpot is somewhere i'd love to check out, but being in New Hampshire, you are probably closer to it than me :D They did however go into an Arcade in Hollywood FL, in King of Kong, maybe I'll check that place out next time i'm in that neck of the woods.

As for Archer Maclean, oh yeah he's bang into it.. Has a huge collection now, i can't remember how i know, probably through an old copy of Game magazine. Or maybe RetroGamer magazine.. It was impressive though the amount of time he spent per cab restoring.

Associate
OP
Here you go..

http://www.rickeysrestaurant.net/aboutus.html

The Hollywood one was the one I went too. To taste his 'World Famous' hot sauce.. FunSpot is somewhere i'd love to check out, but being in New Hampshire, you are probably closer to it than me :D They did however go into an Arcade in Hollywood FL, in King of Kong, maybe I'll check that place out next time i'm in that neck of the woods.

As for Archer Maclean, oh yeah he's bang into it.. Has a huge collection now, i can't remember how i know, probably through an old copy of Game magazine. Or maybe RetroGamer magazine.. It was impressive though the amount of time he spent per cab restoring.

LOL Rickey's does look like a right dive, Not even any windows in the place lol

I was just reading some stuff about archer maclean there on the net

http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/archuk/edge_interview.html

http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/archuk/archer_restoration.html

Soldato
LOL to this..

packed%20garage%201.jpg

Don't forget to leave a little room for the car..

You'll be next ... ;)

Man of Honour
Awesome cars!

Whats wrong with Happ?

Pretty good for oldschool style games. it's more of the feel with them though compared to sanwa.

I play fighting games. Happ are terrible for fighting games and schmups.

A JLF is pretty bad for most non-fighting games so I imagine that's a JLW in the cab.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Here's my one:
arcade1.jpg

The cabinet cost me 12 Euros when I lived in Germany (yes TWELVE euros!!). Arcade machines weren't very popular over there at the time. It's a generic JAMMA cabinet and I wanted it to be as authentic as possible so I'm using the proper 15khz arcade moniter and a J-PAC connected to an old PC running advancemame. It cost me about 50 Euros in total to build. ;)

Associate
OP
Here's my one:

The cabinet cost me 12 Euros when I lived in Germany (yes TWELVE euros!!). Arcade machines weren't very popular over there at the time. It's a generic JAMMA cabinet and I wanted it to be as authentic as possible so I'm using the proper 15khz arcade moniter and a J-PAC connected to an old PC running advancemame. It cost me about 50 Euros in total to build. ;)

Beautiful mate ! Really cool. I can't believe it cost 12 euro ! I am jealous lol. Being really into the whole gaming community on youtube, I see americans picking these things up for nothing all the time and it ****es me off ! They are ten a penny over there.

Did you bring yours home with you from Germany ?

Thanks for sharing ;)

Soldato
I've just been haggling with some guy over his 'original' Galaga cab.. In his actual words he says theres some damage to the back, the control panel overlay was wear on the front edge. Game works good but it smells of smoke cos it was in a lounge for many yrs...

He had it listed at $750, i offered him $300 but he says his flat bottom is around $650.. Are the original's worth a lot more then? Should I avoid considering I'd butcher it to a PC running mame.

Also tried downloading Maximus Arcade last night, after after 6 failed attempts of downloading the software I gave up. The exe should be around 45meg, but in both its zipped and self exectuable format, it only comes down as a 30odd meg file which is unable to expand itself. Seems strange ? For $25 I'd probably just buy it, even if it was just to set my XP partition up to be a mame only emulator.

Associate
OP
I've just been haggling with some guy over his 'original' Galaga cab.. In his actual words he says theres some damage to the back, the control panel overlay was wear on the front edge. Game works good but it smells of smoke cos it was in a lounge for many yrs...

He had it listed at $750, i offered him $300 but he says his flat bottom is around $650.. Are the original's worth a lot more then? Should I avoid considering I'd butcher it to a PC running mame.

Also tried downloading Maximus Arcade last night, after after 6 failed attempts of downloading the software I gave up. The exe should be around 45meg, but in both its zipped and self exectuable format, it only comes down as a 30odd meg file which is unable to expand itself. Seems strange ? For $25 I'd probably just buy it, even if it was just to set my XP partition up to be a mame only emulator.

If it was me, I wouldn't gut a working machine, that would be a shame ! Try and find something that is not working but has a good shell, like I did.

Not sure what is going on with your download of Maximus Arcade. Try contacting them and reporting the problem. The download is only a trial version, which is time limited. Buying it, gives you a code to remove the time limit.

Associate
OP
Absolutely fantastic fergie666!

What did you find the most difficult about the build?

You got me thinking about building one!

How do the buttons and sticks interface with the PC?

Thanks mate :)

The hardest part was mounting my CRT monitor into it lol. It took a while and was a right pain. I also had to extent about 25 wires from the controls on the front of the monitor, so that I could access them once the glass was in place.

The sticks and buttons are interfaced via a small circuit board called an I-Pac. This simulates a USB keyboard. So when you are setting up MAME, when you press up on the joystick, it tricks MAME in to thinking you are pressing up on the keyboard. It works really well and was a piece of cake to set up.

If you need any more help or info feel free to contact me :)

Soldato
Do you have a selection of different games you can load on this or is it the classic paperboy?

If the former, I'd be interested to read a list of your retro games! :D

Back
Top Bottom