Any issues with using 10W40 instead of 5W30?

Caporegime
Gonna ring the volvo dealer and see what they say, everybody seems to do things differently to what the manual says and castrol says they dont have a product thats suitable on their website lol.

Soldato
the oil in my volvo confuses me

Volvo says it recommends Castrol Edge Fully Synthetic 0w30 on the sticker under the bonnet and in the manual

However Opie Oils and Halfords both bring up 5W30 instead

Confused !

i'd trust the people who designed and built your engine over a domestic heating oil supplier and a high-street tat shop every time...

Caporegime
Thing is the sticker on the car says that it recommends Castrol, but castrol say they dont have anything to suit because the manual says it wants an A5/B5 approved oil, but none on castrols list have it !

so what part of the manufacturers recommendations do i ignore, the castrol recommendation or the A5/B5 specification ?

*edit*

Just got off the phone. Volvo Dealer says to use "Castrol SLX R tec oW30 or 0w40"

what the heck is SLX R tec ? , goes off to search ...

*edit 2*

Ok found this on the volvo forums

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=289444&postcount=13

So the only oil that volvo recommends is a castrol oil only available from them. Hence the website advising to contact the dealer as you cant buy it from anywhere else and is ... £100 for 5 litres.

What a surprise :rolleyes:

Well the car has been serviced its entirel life by Kwik Farce using a different oil than what volvo recommends for it so it cant be that bad for the engine. Now to decide what oil is going to be nearest to what volvo recommends without getting stung by an exclusivity price inflating pact ...

Last edited:
Soldato
i'd trust the people who designed and built your engine over a domestic heating oil supplier and a high-street tat shop every time...

since ive been mucking about with VW they have changed their chosen brand oil company at least twice, it is effectively down to sponsorship etc.

just make sure the oil youre putting in meets the spec required for the engine. there will be various grades within that spec (in most cases there is) so you can tailor this to an extent to match the usage of your engine or the deepness of your pockets.

my old golf, as im sure youre all sick of hearing, is on 225k miles and Castrol is VW's current favourite. i dont remember castrol going in my car once

Don
Ah, that's fair enough. I can't say i've seen inside a late BMW for a few years, I didn't realise they were putting three oil warning light on motors now :eek: ! I'm perhaps a bit out of touch in that respect! :o:D

It seems daft that they haven't always worked like this..

Instead of a "your engine is now buggered" light that some cars have :p

Man of Honour
It seems daft that they haven't always worked like this..

Instead of a "your engine is now buggered" light that some cars have :p

Because it requires a system to measure the level which is quite expensive to do.

The your engine is screwed light is as a result of low oil pressure not level. Though Jon pressure usually comes from very low level.

Permabanned
People are getting FAR too hung up on this.

Most of the time the first digit being a different viscosity is becase some are quoting fully synth and some are quoting semi synth.

Most of the time the fully syth has a lower cold start viscosity. If its just a top up, all that really matters is that the hot number is correct.

As for Opie oils, well LOL at this guy, really. Recommends the same stuff for everyone!

Still, that highlights the fact that the difference between a 0W40 and a 5W40 will be negligable.

It might make a difference in say Finland or Sweden where the temps will dip to -35Deg C, then you really will need a 0W oil, but over in our miserable, grey climate its not going to be critical by any stretch of the imagination.

EDIT:- Spot on Matt82, the manufacturers recommendation is mostly down to sponsorship and deals, and rarely about the absolute performance of the oil!

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17472753 said:
Because it requires a system to measure the level which is quite expensive to do.

The your engine is screwed light is as a result of low oil pressure not level. Though Jon pressure usually comes from very low level.

Fox what Oil do you use in your car ?

Volvo told me that they use volvo r-tec, but that was its old name its now been renamed

"Castrol SLX Professional Longtec 0W 30"

I seem to recall your BMW was factory filled with this stuff. Do you use it or do you source something else ?

Soldato
So both Halfords and the petrol pump man have told me incorrect oils?! :(

According to the charts in Halfords my current car:
Has a paint colour that was never offered on the model
Uses bulbs that don't even fit
Uses different engine/gearbox oil to what is required (if you use the ATF they recommend it will wreck the box)
Uses wiper blades that if fitted would clear the screen
Uses OAT coolant (it uses IAT)

You don't wanna know what info they had on the supe ^^

The guy who worked in my local Shell station owned a stock Mitsubishi FTO and used to brag about the kick he got when his turbocharger kicked in (I know, that's the point)

I wouldn't trust either for important advice :p

Thing is the sticker on the car says that it recommends Castrol, but castrol say they dont have anything to suit because the manual says it wants an A5/B5 approved oil, but none on castrols list have it !

so what part of the manufacturers recommendations do i ignore, the castrol recommendation or the A5/B5 specification ?

*edit*

Just got off the phone. Volvo Dealer says to use "Castrol SLX R tec oW30 or 0w40"

what the heck is SLX R tec ? , goes off to search ...

*edit 2*

Ok found this on the volvo forums

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpost.php?p=289444&postcount=13

So the only oil that volvo recommends is a castrol oil only available from them. Hence the website advising to contact the dealer as you cant buy it from anywhere else and is ... £100 for 5 litres.

What a surprise :rolleyes:

Well the car has been serviced its entirel life by Kwik Farce using a different oil than what volvo recommends for it so it cant be that bad for the engine. Now to decide what oil is going to be nearest to what volvo recommends without getting stung by an exclusivity price inflating pact ...

Well according to that link, "The ONLY oil Volvo recommend is "SLX Professional Longtec for Volvo cars A5/B5 0W-30" excuse me if im missing something here but the way I thought it worked was if the SLX stuff Volvo recommend meets the A5/B5 standard and has a viscosity of 0W-30 then what's wrong with the Fuchs/Castrol oils that that Opie site recommended as they both meet the A5/B5 standard, I know they are 5W not 0W but that shouldn't make a difference in this country should it?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Isn't SLX longtec now Castrol Edge?

In theory yes, But Castrol Edge 0W30 doesnt meat A5/B5 so in theory isnt suitable

Castrol advise it should be fine as it meets ACEA A3/B3 which in theory is just an older version of the ACEA A5/B5 grade

Well according to that link, "The ONLY oil Volvo recommend is "SLX Professional Longtec for Volvo cars A5/B5 0W-30" excuse me if im missing something here but the way I thought it worked was if the SLX stuff Volvo recommend meets the A5/B5 standard and has a viscosity of 0W-30 then what's wrong with the Fuchs/Castrol oils that that Opie site recommended as they both meet the A5/B5 standard, I know they are 5W not 0W but that shouldn't make a difference in this country should it?

The castrol oil they recommend is not A5/B5, the Fuchs one that is, is 5W30 which wont offer the same level of cold protection as 0W30

Volvo said to use 0W30 or 0W40 as required, but 5W30 isnt suitable.

heres the Fuchs that meets ACEA A5/B5

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-991-fuc...rmance-fuel-economy-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

But its 5W 30

they do offer

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-985-fuc...0w-30-fully-synthetic-super-fuel-economy.aspx

0W30 fully synthetic

but its ACEA A3/B3/B4 the same as the Castrol Edge stuff !

Last edited:
Soldato
Im confused now, I followed the link you posted to the oils for your car and the "Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A1" that they recommend says in its description "Magnatec 5W-30 A1 is also suitable for use in other manufacturers fuel efficient modern petrol and diesel engines including inter-cooled and turbo-charged and where the manufacturer recommends ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 or API SL or ILSAC GF-3."

Also I always thought that 0W and 5W offer the same protection in the UK, its only in a Scandinavian winter that 0W would perform better.

Im not trying to argue with about your own car Im just interested myself now lol

Man of Honour
Factory fill on the BMW's is SLX Longtec II. This is also what most BMW dealers will use for servicing. It is a trade oil though and isnt really available through retail. The consumer version is.... Castrol Edge.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17473535 said:
Factory fill on the BMW's is SLX Longtec II. This is also what most BMW dealers will use for servicing. It is a trade oil though and isnt really available through retail. The consumer version is.... Castrol Edge.

this is as i thought

but the consumer version doesnt meet the same ACEA A5/B5 spec as the SLX Longtec :(

Im confused now, I followed the link you posted to the oils for your car and the "Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A1" that they recommend says in its description "Magnatec 5W-30 A1 is also suitable for use in other manufacturers fuel efficient modern petrol and diesel engines including inter-cooled and turbo-charged and where the manufacturer recommends ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 or API SL or ILSAC GF-3."

Also I always thought that 0W and 5W offer the same protection in the UK, its only in a Scandinavian winter that 0W would perform better.

Im not trying to argue with about your own car Im just interested myself now lol

i'm thoroughly confused too. I know nothing on this subject, i only know what im told.

Both halfords and opie oils say 5W30 are fine, but as people have already said these people arent the people who built and tested the engine and should be ignored.

Volvo say the only suitable grade oils are 0W30 or 0W40.

But then as you say, opie oils say it will be fine. I dont know who to believe !

They've made the requirement for the car an oil that can only be obtained from them !

Last edited:
Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17473685 said:
Thats a bit weird, I've never even noticed that. I wonder if Simon can shed any light?

recommended oil for my car, available as a 1L top up bottle

http://www.volvopartshop.com/castrol-slx-pro-longtec-a5b5-0w30-1-litre-775-p.asp

or as a 1000 Litre drum :rolleyes:

And heres Castrol Edge 0W30

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productdetailmin.do?categoryId=9014073&contentId=7027066

ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

Castrol have specificly avoided testing their consumer oil to the relevant spec required by volvo, to push everybody to buy their oil directly from dealers at £100 for 5 litres.

Back
Top Bottom