Ubuntu 10.10 Beta

Suspended
Apologies if you're already aware of this, but the 10.10 Beta (Maverick Meerkat) is available for download now from:

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/maverick/beta#Download Beta

I tried it last night; the new installer is a huge step forwards, with a great look and feel, and even more simplicity. There are definite speed improvements in the Gnome WM as well, very snappy.

All in all, a massive improvement over the slow and buggy 10.04 release, and I commend it to the forum.

Suspended
OP
Wil try it out!

Just point out to any of our new linux users, remember it's beta and don't rely on it, so backup your data or install it in virtualbox!

Agreed. Of course it's always wise to take precautions.

I have to say though, I've popped it on a spare 1TB drive and it is working superbly. Additionally, on the pages for the Beta, there are a list of known issues which will hopefully be resolved before final release. It obviously isn't exhaustive, so please do take notice of what Oxy has said.

Associate
I'm currently running it on my work machine, works nicely - few issues with getting it set up, it really didn't like using my old home dir when I created a new user though so I had to copy all my stuff over. Also seemingly had an issue booting my old windows 7 VM which I use for outlook\AD too, but that was solved by quickly knocking up a XP VM in it's place.

Also, have a gander at elegant gnome theme, it's rather nice. I installed that because I was bored of the default ubuntu\gnome themes.

Suspended
OP
October the 10th is the big day, for the release of Ubuntu10.10.:D:D

Edit: Had a look at it, not much there, do ill stick with Mint 9.

Read again, there are significant changes. I assume you haven't even tried the Beta so have no experience of the speed improvements? Mint sucks balls IMHO, but that's the beauty of Linux - each to their own ;)

Soldato
What are the improvements since 10.04, hope the random freeze prob. is fixed? I don't want my wireless to stop working when I upgrade like my dads did when he went from 8.04 to 10.04. So I am a bit worried about upgrading.

Associate
So have they gone back to having the close/minimize/restore buttons back on the top right? Or are they leaving them top left as default?

Associate
I went back to .04 last night, got annoyed with 10.10, Wine wouldn't work with WoW, did a dist-upgrade - then from that moment forth, as soon as I logged in I got spammed with a infinite "File Operation" dialog boxes and no way to kill them without killing the WM. Dropped back into a Xfce session, WoW still didn't want to play ball. I'll wait for the release version, but tbf, I couldn't see any differences.

Suspended
OP
I went back to .04 last night, got annoyed with 10.10, Wine wouldn't work with WoW, did a dist-upgrade

Why would you do that?

You only need to use -upgrade when moving from one point release to another. After a fresh install, you only need to -update, or just use the Update Manager and install any new system packages that way.

Associate
It took me all of about two minutes to find a guide and to change the buttons to the right hand side.

Don't get me wrong, I had already changed it, like you said it's not too difficult. I just noticed on some of the linked themes the buttons were top right, so I was wondering if they changed their minds? Tbh I thought it was a strange decision, simply because they had them on the right for so long and I don't remember anyone complaining.

Back
Top Bottom